The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society Mk XIV

Scroll to see replies

Original post by james1211
Stopped citalopram and instantly got my
:sexface: back. Now to find one that doesn't have those side effects. Any ideas?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Mirt was the only thing that didn't affect my sex drive. It was brilliant and would have been the best thing ever if it didn't leave me too fat or asleep to feel attractive in any way, shape or form.

I ended up just giving up medications and rocking it alone.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sabertooth
When I was 12 I prayed to god for a certain thing to happen. It happened but I ignored it. A few days ago, I reflected on this thing and decided I can't ignore it anymore. I can't think of any explanation other than god which puts an atheist like me in an awkward position. However, if there is a god how can I reconcile that with hearing voices and being paranoid and depressed? I don't get that bit.

Anyway, onto my question. Is anyone here religious and how do you feel about god giving you a mental illness?

Imma quote in the only member that I know is religious (hope she doesn't mind) but I'd appreciate anyone's input really.

TLG I'd really appreciate how you answer this question, but we can take it to PMs if you prefer (or not answer me at all if I'm being rudely imposing).

i'm born and bred catholic, and lately i have been contemplating things like this. like, is it a punishment? does he believe i'll be a better person having gone through it? things like that. and i don't really have any answers for you, i'm afraid, but i just thought i'd let you know that you most definitely aren't alone in having questions like this, and that i think even the most ardent, knowledgable theologians wouldn't be able to give you a definitive answer either. i suppose thats what faith is - having questions, but still believing?
And the PGCE panics set in. Thought this essay would be easier and I'm not really getting anywhere with it. I'm at 319 words :/ What if I'm not cut out for this and why didn't I plan this sooner.
Some people on tsr are ****ing idiots

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ParadoxSocks
It took my 5 and a half years and 3 unis before I finished my degree and now I'm about to start teacher training (tomorrow eek!). You can do it. I know it's really annoying and frustrating but start gathering evidence to prove your drop out reasons and you'll hopefully be able to keep going.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I feel better now knowing that I'm not the only one who's had to go through 3 unis! Good luck with your teacher training! :biggrin: Thats hopefully where I wanna be in a few years, I've always wanted to teach! What evidence did you get to prove your drop out reasons (assuming you got student finance for your third time) :smile:

Original post by superwolf

You'll find a way. :smile: And it's great that you've figured out what you want to do with your life! :five:

Thank you! Hopefully i'll be able to get evidence to show student finance :smile: and yess! i've always wanted to teach but because of my MH issues I never thought I would be able too but I'm going to damn try! :five:
:cry2:
Original post by ScaryScience
:cry2:

What's up? :hugs:

Original post by Odd socks
Some people on tsr are ****ing idiots

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep!

And the PGCE panics set in. Thought this essay would be easier and I'm not really getting anywhere with it. I'm at 319 words :/ What if I'm not cut out for this and why didn't I plan this sooner.

Take a break, clear your head a bit, make a cup of tea or something and come back to it, you can do it! PGCE's are hard and they do take some graft but you can definitely do it and if it's what you want to do you're definitely cut out for it. Good luck!
Original post by SweetNothing

Yep!

Take a break, clear your head a bit, make a cup of tea or something and come back to it, you can do it! PGCE's are hard and they do take some graft but you can definitely do it and if it's what you want to do you're definitely cut out for it. Good luck!

Feeling kinda upset by the attitudes in a thread,

Spoiler

Posted from TSR Mobile
I feel better now knowing that I'm not the only one who's had to go through 3 unis! Good luck with your teacher training! :biggrin: Thats hopefully where I wanna be in a few years, I've always wanted to teach! What evidence did you get to prove your drop out reasons (assuming you got student finance for your third time) :smile:

Thank you! Hopefully i'll be able to get evidence to show student finance :smile: and yess! i've always wanted to teach but because of my MH issues I never thought I would be able too but I'm going to damn try! :five:

I used doctors notes and evidence from disability services and was awarded extra years each time I applied. They're generally quite nice about it so don't worry too much about it.

I was snapped up at the first interview I had. I was offered interviews at all three places I applied to but my main choice asked me to not go to the other interviews because they really wanted me so don't think that more unis/years are going to cause you any issues at all!

Yep!

Having a coffee and a TSR and puppy break now. I can do it, it's just like pulling teeth at the moment. I know the stuff but I'm out of practice with writing a humanities style essay.

Spoiler

Posted from TSR Mobile

Avoid the mean bits of TSR - you know that they're awful people. They only talk like that online to make themselves feel better. You are absolutely lovely and don't ever think otherwise *glomps*
Imsoacademic is back and horribler than ever

Posted from TSR Mobile
Making a doctor's appointment this week..trying to decide if I have big enough balls to try and get my anxiety/depression diagnosed and helped aaah it's scary
Having a coffee and a TSR and puppy break now. I can do it, it's just like pulling teeth at the moment. I know the stuff but I'm out of practice with writing a humanities style essay.

Avoid the mean bits of TSR - you know that they're awful people. They only talk like that online to make themselves feel better. You are absolutely lovely and don't ever think otherwise *glomps*

:hugs: I just don't get why people feel so bad about themselves that they have to go online and bully others :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Puppy break?! That sounds my kinda break :') Yeah I totally get you, being totally out of sync with writing essays and stuff can be a nightmare, once you're back into it you'll fly through them!

I used doctors notes and evidence from disability services and was awarded extra years each time I applied. They're generally quite nice about it so don't worry too much about it.

I was snapped up at the first interview I had. I was offered interviews at all three places I applied to but my main choice asked me to not go to the other interviews because they really wanted me so don't think that more unis/years are going to cause you any issues at all!

Awesome, this has made me feel better about the whole thing! Thanks a lot!

Spoiler

Posted from TSR Mobile

People are mean, even more so on the internet so they're not saying things to peoples faces, these people are just sad! You're not a whale at all, you're lovely, and you should eat! Even though you're not fat anyway, one thing doesn't make you skinny/fat, you need to eat or you'll become unhealthy when right now you're perfectly fine the way you are :hugs:
:hugs: I just don't get why people feel so bad about themselves that they have to go online and bully others :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

We should honestly feel sorry for people that that is the only way they can spend their time. Go and have a look at the body positivity movement! It can definitely cheer you up to be around positivity and not TSR's constant negativity.
Puppy break?! That sounds my kinda break :') Yeah I totally get you, being totally out of sync with writing essays and stuff can be a nightmare, once you're back into it you'll fly through them!

Awesome, this has made me feel better about the whole thing! Thanks a lot!

People are mean, even more so on the internet so they're not saying things to peoples faces, these people are just sad! You're not a whale at all, you're lovely, and you should eat! Even though you're not fat anyway, one thing doesn't make you skinny/fat, you need to eat or you'll become unhealthy when right now you're perfectly fine the way you are :hugs:

He's 20 weeks today and he's being so lovely while I've been working. He's teething though and a bit grumpy at the moment but at least he's learning that when I'm at the desk I'm working so I don't need to toes biting.

If you really want it then you'll be fine. Start laying the foundations for it now - I flew through my application (applied late, hadn't got much experience etc) but they offered me a place at my first interview and told me to not even attend the others because they wanted me so badly. So excited to be starting tomorrow but the nerves are creeping in. I think I'm okay teaching but it's the new kid at school thing and I think most of them know each other because they met over the summer at a subject training scheme thing (they're mostly IT grads trying to teach computer science). Also worried because I had less notice than most and haven't been able to do all of the recommended reading!
He's 20 weeks today and he's being so lovely while I've been working. He's teething though and a bit grumpy at the moment but at least he's learning that when I'm at the desk I'm working so I don't need to toes biting.

If you really want it then you'll be fine. Start laying the foundations for it now - I flew through my application (applied late, hadn't got much experience etc) but they offered me a place at my first interview and told me to not even attend the others because they wanted me so badly. So excited to be starting tomorrow but the nerves are creeping in. I think I'm okay teaching but it's the new kid at school thing and I think most of them know each other because they met over the summer at a subject training scheme thing (they're mostly IT grads trying to teach computer science). Also worried because I had less notice than most and haven't been able to do all of the recommended reading!

Omg, he sounds precious. The teething stage is such a nightmare! What breed is he?

Well I need to get back into university first so I'm doing my UCAS form for the third time to start next September. Just waiting for a reference and then I can send that off. I'm going to the doctors tomorrow so I can lay some groundwork in for that. I've emailed some schools to see how I can get a couple of weeks work experience within a school while I'm off until I restart university.

I think nerves are just a normal part of starting something new! You'll do a great job definitely. Don't worry about the reading thing, they must know if they give you less notice you can't do everything in a short space of time!
Omg, he sounds precious. The teething stage is such a nightmare! What breed is he?

Well I need to get back into university first so I'm doing my UCAS form for the third time to start next September. Just waiting for a reference and then I can send that off. I'm going to the doctors tomorrow so I can lay some groundwork in for that. I've emailed some schools to see how I can get a couple of weeks work experience within a school while I'm off until I restart university.

I think nerves are just a normal part of starting something new! You'll do a great job definitely. Don't worry about the reading thing, they must know if they give you less notice you can't do everything in a short space of time!

He's a westie and really really well behaved. He only really chews his toys but I can't imagine it being a good time for him.

You're definitely doing all of the right things! Work experiences is the hardest thing to get so it's good that you have a while to sort out out. How much uni do you still need to do? I was really lucky to transfer all over the place.

My course tutors know but I'm not sure if the wider school know and I have some classes with that group. I'll just have to see how it goes. Surely there will be others who haven't had the chance to do all of the reading?
He's a westie and really really well behaved. He only really chews his toys but I can't imagine it being a good time for him.

You're definitely doing all of the right things! Work experiences is the hardest thing to get so it's good that you have a while to sort out out. How much uni do you still need to do? I was really lucky to transfer all over the place.

My course tutors know but I'm not sure if the wider school know and I have some classes with that group. I'll just have to see how it goes. Surely there will be others who haven't had the chance to do all of the reading?

Omg cute, I just love puppies and dogs :biggrin:. Aw that's good then at least he's well behaved! Yeah, teething must be a nightmare for puppies. I was meant to be getting a dog but that all messed up so we're looking at getting one of these little cuties

Thanks! That makes me feel better (glad to have spoken to you, i'm feeling more relaxed about the whole uni thing now haha). Yeah, the work experience thing is a bit daunting cause I know it's preferred when doing a PGCE. I have friends who work in schools who might be able to get me in to work in one for a bit, i'm also going to ask my old primary/secondary schools cause they loved me and should be happy to have me back haha. I need to do all of it, it annoys me because the work is easy, I can fly through my uni course (which makes me sound really egotistical but i'm not honestly!) but MH ruined my life but I just thought I was lazy and didn't want to be there.

Yeah it's likely that you won't be the only one who hasn't done it all, but you should be fine honestly!
Original post by superwolf
I'm good. :smile: Life's fairly sorted at the minute, apart from one of my mice being ill (don't know yet if it's treatable), but still enjoying planning for uni, doing crafting etc. And one of my friends sent me awesome belated birthday presents today. :biggrin:

Hope you do great back at uni. :h:

That's good that on whole things are well. I hope your mouse pulls through though :hugs: What uni are you planning to go to?

Thanksies :smile:

Latest