The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society Mk XIV

Scroll to see replies

Original post by GEEKHELP
thanks to everyone who replied :smile: your answers are invaluable because I am genuinely scared about the medication and counseling. I am looking for a career in healthcare science and I don't want my medical records to hinder me in any way. I know most jobs do not look at those records but I have seen some where they ask your GP to say you are ok etc. But my health should come first right?:smile:

your dr will suggest counselling, and counselling can be VERY beneficial, but if you try it and its not for you they cant force it on you.

with regards for your job, on this thread theres people studying pharmacology, think someone is doing some form of medicine, theres a social worker, im a youth worker, and yes you may have to fill in an occuplational health form, but they wont deny you because of depression. at uni they generally use that to HELP you.

also i know a paramedic person, who has severe depression, to the point she has tried to end her life, and shes about to get a job with the north west ambulance service. so it wont affect you AT ALL.
Original post by PandaWho
your dr will suggest counselling, and counselling can be VERY beneficial, but if you try it and its not for you they cant force it on you.

with regards for your job, on this thread theres people studying pharmacology, think someone is doing some form of medicine, theres a social worker, im a youth worker, and yes you may have to fill in an occuplational health form, but they wont deny you because of depression. at uni they generally use that to HELP you.

also i know a paramedic person, who has severe depression, to the point she has tried to end her life, and shes about to get a job with the north west ambulance service. so it wont affect you AT ALL.

Thank you for the reassurance. I will try to arrange to see the GP this week and sort it out. It's been 2 years already of this empty feeling...im not sure if anything will make it better but I have to try
thanks to everyone who replied :smile: your answers are invaluable because I am genuinely scared about the medication and counseling. I am looking for a career in healthcare science and I don't want my medical records to hinder me in any way. I know most jobs do not look at those records but I have seen some where they ask your GP to say you are ok etc. But my health should come first right?:smile:

Hiya :smile:

I'm studying pharmacy, and my university knows about my anxiety and depression. They're fine with it and it's in no way going to hinder me from qualifying and becoming a pharmacist. They told me the only time they'd be concerned was if I wasn't taking steps to get better, so the fact that I'm in counselling and on antidepressants is a good thing to them :yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Odd socks
Hiya :smile:

I'm studying pharmacy, and my university knows about my anxiety and depression. They're fine with it and it's in no way going to hinder me from qualifying and becoming a pharmacist. They told me the only time they'd be concerned was if I wasn't taking steps to get better, so the fact that I'm in counselling and on antidepressants is a good thing to them :yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thats really good to hear :smile: did you get diagnosed after you started University?
so did you guys go to the NHS hospital after your GP reffered you to see a psychiatrist? and then they give you the meds? and is counseling mandatory?

I was sent to a psychiatrist for suspected psychosis. In my case, it was the psychiatrist who put me on the meds, rather than the GP. And that was after a lengthy stalwart where I refused to take meds. Was one of the best things I have ever done though, agreeing to take them :yep:

Counselling is helpful but not mandatory. There are long waiting lists, so just be aware of/prepared for that :sadnod:

Original post by SweetNothing
Going to the doctors tomorrow, hopefully they'll refer me to a psychiatrist or something. I'm writing a list of "symptoms" or whatever cause my anxiety makes me completely socially inept to talk to people about things like MH issues.

Good luck! Writing stuff down is a good idea.

Which reminds me, I need to write my psychiatrist a letter, asking for DSA evidence! :eek:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
I was sent to a psychiatrist for suspected psychosis. In my case, it was the psychiatrist who put me on the meds, rather than the GP. And that was after a lengthy stalwart where I refused to take meds. Was one of the best things I have ever done though, agreeing to take them :yep:

Counselling is helpful but not mandatory. There are long waiting lists, so just be aware of/prepared for that :sadnod:

Good luck! Writing stuff down is a good idea.

Which reminds me, I need to write my psychiatrist a letter, asking for DSA evidence! :eek:

Thanks! I'm going to write everything down after i've had a bath and made myself a cuppa
I can't seem to do anything or go anywhere without annoying someone :sad:
Thats really good to hear :smile: did you get diagnosed after you started University?

I was initially diagnosed when I was 15, then when I was applying to university I was in a good place so I didn't list it. Then while I was at uni things got worse and I had to go back on antidepressants and I let my uni know

Posted from TSR Mobile
cant stop crying for 30 seconds to even pack for tomorrow. feels like someones grabbing me by the heart. this is what happens when I go to appointments. this is why I want to give up on it. makes so much worse and no one knows what to do. arghhofhviusnfiuvhdhvb :bawling:
Original post by ScaryScience
cant stop crying for 30 seconds to even pack for tomorrow. feels like someones grabbing me by the heart. this is what happens when I go to appointments. this is why I want to give up on it. makes so much worse and no one knows what to do. arghhofhviusnfiuvhdhvb :bawling:

Big hugs, hun :console:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Had a good day today. Went for a job interview, and got invited back for a second interview! Also went out for dinner with a friend, which was really nice too.

Hope everybody's doing ok, and hugs if not :smile:
:redface: :sad:
Original post by Odd socks

Thank you for seeing what's up :smile: I seem to make people unhappy for one. But the real problem is that I don't really know what's wrong. I just don't feel right :sad:
at a meeting tomorrow, not sure if its uniform or not, and the leader isnt replying to my last email i sent, and im worried that shes not talking to be, because the other day i offered to help with something and she never even ackowledged my offer :s-smilie:
Debating whether to go to Catholic mass in a couple of hours...I want to because I want to see what letting god into my life would be like on the other hand I don't know what to wear and people might TALK to me! :afraid:
Original post by IDukem
Thank you for seeing what's up :smile: I seem to make people unhappy for one. But the real problem is that I don't really know what's wrong. I just don't feel right :sad:

:hugs: well you make everyone on here happy :yep: I completely understand the feeling sad for no reason thing though :frown: a nice warm drink and an early night perhaps?

Posted from TSR Mobile
brain, why you so complicated? only the first day and i'm already confused :tongue: so many things to learn! :eek:

foodwise, not doing too well atm :frown:

Spoiler

hiya! i just thought i'd drop by and say i'm studying medicine and my uni know almost all about my mental health issues, and so far haven't had an issue with me studying :smile: your mental health come first, always!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by SweetNothing
NO CAPES! :biggrin:

What's an acceptable amount of time to wait before resending a UCAS reference email?

:lol: But they look so stylish! :puppyeyes:

'fraid I don't quite know - I guess most offices should reply within 48 working hours (i.e. not sunday (maybe not saturday too)) so I guess go by that. :dontknow: Of course could send earlier than that/give it 24 hours probably if you like :redface:

Original post by lauraaaaa
:lol: I've been really into pink and green together lately, even though they totally clash, so green sounds good to me :nods: and um probably whsmith, i reaaaally hope they have the pens i usually get in there, but i couldn't find them on the website :cry2: :lol: i want to get a reaaaaaally nice planner/diary, but i don't know whether i need folders for uni, so i might just get a few notebooks and buy stuff when im there if i need it :dontknow: highlighters, coloured pens, notebooks, planner, pens and sticky notes are a DEFINITE must though :tongue:

no, they just start on the 28th :smile: i finish on 5th december for christmas though :redface:

Haha :colondollar: It's lime/really bright :biggrin: radioactive-y sorta green :tongue: Ah - hope you have fun! :lol: Their websites generally quite rubbish I reckon, really difficult to go round/navigate (or at least I think so :colondollar:)
I'd get folders when you're there - they're quite big/airy when they don't have notes in them/take up excess space (depending how big your car is)
Sounds good :teehee:

Aaaah okay :smile: Freshers starting then, that is? I think we're about the same :redface: :woo: We start on the 28th too, actually! (and our freshers is odd in that it's a fortnight, but runs at the same time as lectures start. Not that I really did anything in freshers besides cinema - and will aim to do the same this year :tongue:)

Original post by Jean-Luc Picard
another week of...well...not much of anything...and more...not much of anything.

I mean I guess I could ask my mum for money to pop down a pub for a few pints, but on my own that's kinda sad really I guess, though the thought of getting plastered often appeals to me these days, anything to dull the thoughts in my head.

This reminded me of this :colondollar: http://l-o-t-r.tumblr.com/post/49193951861/and-look-more-lembas-bread Hope you appreciate with your recent viewings :tongue: Did you finish 'em? Got to watch them again soon myself :redface: Been too long! :eek:
Silly gif's aside, I'm sorry you don't have much on though :frown: :console:

This is just a completely random thought, but have you thought about teaching yourself some coding or something? :dontknow: I just remember reading that it's something that's okay/quite fun to self-teach possibly, and something that I'd personally like to get round to myself :colondollar:

For anon-ing, have you tried Rob's script? or is this on a tablet/phone?

Original post by Mazzini
:wavey:

Don't worry about my gender :tongue: I'm not particularly fussy about which pronouns people use for me, but I tend to use male ones just for convenience (it's the gender I was assigned at birth).

:ahee: about the thread title :tongue:

Okey :colondollar: If you'd rather I used a different one (other than he) then please do say! :redface: :smile:

I need to join y'all at some point, maybe :ninja: :tongue: Thinking of joining the CU, or at least the vaguely gospel-y/Xian choir (because they sing actual songs rather than stupid latin stuff :cool:) Anyway... :colondollar: :getmecoat:

Original post by Porridge510
No, its fine! :smile: It's good to hear from you too. :smile:

I keep waking up and feeling different pain. Like right now my hands hurt. Both. Espically my baby finger on my right hand. What do i do at night. Build something?

Cool. :biggrin: I bought, ambitions expasion, im disappointed though. But still play it. I want to get my moneys worth. Wait. Do i sound tight now. :frown:

That sucks :frown: Have you spoken to doctor about it? Do you sleep walk? (I know I used to up til I was about 12 or so :dontknow:)

Don't think it makes you tight :dontknow: Sounds sensible to me to get your money's worth! :colondollar: :smile: What I try and do either way - nothing wrong with being careful with money/getting use out of it, imo! :smile:

Original post by IDukem
I can't help but think I'm going to struggle to fit in when I go to Uni. I really don't want to be 'just another guy' any more :sad:

There are so many people at Uni :eek: and you have societies and groups and so many different ways to meet people similar to you - I'm sure you won't have any trouble :smile: You were just saying last night how you'd made some people laugh and stuff - I'm sure you'll be fine :hugs:

Sorry you're not feeling right at the moment :frown: You're always making us happier :h:

Original post by furryface12
Does anyone know how to stop yourself shaking? Have been really badly all day and it's driving me mad :redface:

I know when I woke up before exams shaking that going on a quick stroll helped, though I'm also never sure whether I'm shaking for being cold or for anxiety sometimes :dontknow: Can it ever be both? My teeth don't chatter but legs and arms did - luckily not that often at all though.
I hadn't realised you had ME (or I've forgotten :s-smilie:) - sorry to hear, I know that my brother's friend had/has it and struggled, though he seems to be doing well now - doing a degree at cardiff :smile: (sorry if that was random... :s-smilie:)

Original post by ScaryScience
mental health services have ruined me.

:jumphug: :hugs: Around if you need to talk, really sorry they've been useless again :frown: Hope moving goes okay tomorrow

Original post by Tibbz2
I've wondered if I have depression for a few years now, or if I'm just unmotivated :tongue:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Original post by Sabertooth
Debating whether to go to Catholic mass in a couple of hours...I want to because I want to see what letting god into my life would be like on the other hand I don't know what to wear and people might TALK to me! :afraid:

I can't say about catholic-ness, but in general churches are generally really friendly (at least those I've been to in the UK) - generally for most CofE there's a bit of chatter before the service, then not much talking besides the actual service-ness, and then coffee and biscuits at the end with chatter :redface:
If you tell someone that you're new/if they ask then they might introduce you to some people? :dontknow:
Don't know what the usual dress code is for catholic stuff - I guess just vaguely smartly :redface:

at a meeting tomorrow, not sure if its uniform or not, and the leader isnt replying to my last email i sent, and im worried that shes not talking to be, because the other day i offered to help with something and she never even ackowledged my offer :s-smilie:

Sure she's not not talking to you :hugs: I'd guess she's just being rubbish with emails in general at the moment? Is the uniform just a shirt over the top? Could you wear a tshirt and bring the shirt along? (and hoodie :awesome: :tongue:) (Though it's probably different uniform to brownies than scouts I realise :redface:)

If it's guiding-related you could wear a random hoodie with proper t-shirt underneath, and if the others are in uniform you can just take your hoodie off? :smile:

Latest