The Student Room Group

English Coursework- Of Mice and Men

For part if my GCSE English Corusework I will be writing an essay on the Theme of Friendship in the novel Of Mice and Men.

English is my least favorite subject but I'm really detiremed to do well! Would anyone have done this before? Please help!! Thanks!!

Any tips, important points, quotes! Anything would be useful!!
Obviously the last scene is extremely important: Doesn't want to kill him, does it out of friendship and for the greater good. When George stands up for Lennie before the Curley fight. The relationship between Lennie, Curley's wife and the black guy (I forget his name) All of them are outcasts and all of them end up being together when the others go out drinking. There some of the key things I can think off. Good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by KatySkilly
For part if my GCSE English Corusework I will be writing an essay on the Theme of Friendship in the novel Of Mice and Men.

English is my least favorite subject but I'm really detiremed to do well! Would anyone have done this before? Please help!! Thanks!!

You could talk about Lenny and Crooks' relationship? Seeing as Crooks is the only black man living on the ranch and he seems to be looked down at by everyone except Lenny, because Lenny doesn't seem to see why people don't associate with Crooks. When I studied this at school around 5 years ago, the part where Lenny and Crooks first meet alwys stood out for me.
Original post by KatySkilly

Will move this to the English study help forum for you :smile:
Reply 4
When you write your essay quote, quote, quote! Explain each quote throughout, the more detail the better. Use John Steinbeck's name - he's the author. Lennie and George is the best option.
They're both migrant workers, they have nothing but each other. Their relationship is vastly complex, almost one of a parent and a child. You can use the quote where Lennie begs George to tell him the dream - their relationship is highlighted there. You can see Lennie looks up to George greatly. He knows the story himself, but believes it's not the same if he tells it. George gives in, this obviously shows that he cares for Lennie nonetheless. The story, their dream is idealistic. Put it into detail. Explain how their personalities clash - George is short-tempered and Lennie drives him to the edge (he takes out his knife in the end). There's a power imbalance between the two friends, often causing friction in their relationship.
If there's anything specific you're stuck on, maybe I can help. I'm not the best at English literature, though.
I would first learn how to spell "Determined". Then I would go look at its possibility.
(edited 5 years ago)
When we studied this ,my teacher said that the characters were direct opposite of each other. Also talk about how one character relies on the other

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending