The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rachelc142
Yeah that was my point with the other guy haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know, just saying that just because one uni is giving out offers don't expect all the others to/be worried you haven't got one :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by furryface12
I know, just saying that just because one uni is giving out offers don't expect all the others to/be worried you haven't got one :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I guess :tongue: thanks haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah that was my point with the other guy haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

I used an IB example instead of an A level one for a good reason. The majority of applicants to Bath and pretty much every other British university will be applying with A levels. The number of people predicted 3 A*s is a lot higher, and so in a sea of A*s it's probably a bit harder to differentiate good candidates. Bath equates 36 to 3 As for Chemical Engineering. Roughly then, 3 A*s is about 40 points. My IB prediction is higher than that. When I went to Bath, they also explicitly said 'we love the IB'.

Believe it or not, my friend got an offer from Warwick for Physics 1 day after she sent her application off.
Yeah I guess :tongue: thanks haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

every uni does things differently. Bath only do that for a couple of reasons; they give out places to those who have got significantly higher predicted grades, and also that they give out at least a few more times (I heard 5 times) as many offers as places, as so many don't make their grades or go elsewhere.

It's completely and entirely fair. Universities have got much less strict restrictions on the amount of offers they can make now too, so there's a place for everyone.
If a uni has minimum requirements of say AAA, and your predicted A*AA and they make an offer anyone know if the off will just be of AAA ???
I thought I'd decided on my five university choices, but now I'm wondering if one of them should be a safer choice with lower entry requirements. My GCSE grades are 6A*s, 2As and 2Bs and my AS grades are A in Biology and Psychology and B in Chemistry and History. My predicted grades are A* in Chemistry and Psychology and A in Biology, and I'm also picking up AS Maths but I don't know what my predicted grade is in that. The courses I want to apply for are:

Biochemistry at the University of Oxford (A*AA)
Biochemistry with a year in industry at Imperial College London (AAA)
Biochemistry integrated masters with a year in industry at the University of York (AAA/AAB)
Biochemistry and Genetics integrated masters at the University of Sheffield (AAA/AAB)
Biochemistry with professional placement at the University of Bath (AAB)

Is there a realistic chance of me getting offers? I'm not expecting an offer from Oxford and I think it's unlikely that I'll get an offer from Imperial, but I'd like to get at least three offers. I'm starting to worry now, though, because all of my five choices are very highly ranked for biological sciences and I'm not sure if I'll get offers. Would I be better picking one "safer" option with lower entry requirements?
Original post by BethFirmin
I thought I'd decided on my five university choices, but now I'm wondering if one of them should be a safer choice with lower entry requirements. My GCSE grades are 6A*s, 2As and 2Bs and my AS grades are A in Biology and Psychology and B in Chemistry and History. My predicted grades are A* in Chemistry and Psychology and A in Biology, and I'm also picking up AS Maths but I don't know what my predicted grade is in that. The courses I want to apply for are:

Biochemistry integrated masters with a year in industry at the University of York (AAA/AAB)
Biochemistry and Genetics integrated masters at the University of Sheffield (AAA/AAB)

Is there a realistic chance of me getting offers? I'm not expecting an offer from Oxford and I think it's unlikely that I'll get an offer from Imperial, but I'd like to get at least three offers. I'm starting to worry now, though, because all of my five choices are very highly ranked for biological sciences and I'm not sure if I'll get offers. Would I be better picking one "safer" option with lower entry requirements?

You should be fine, they're all lower than your predicted grades and you should have a good chance at all of them, although Oxbridge is always a bit of a lottery I think! Even so, you should have a decent firm and insurance out of them and you could even probably put another A*AA offer in there if there was somewhere else you were interested in going.

To put it into context, I got BBBC at AS and last year was predicted ABB. I got offers from all five which wanted AAA-ABB (x2), ABB (x1) and BBB (x2). One gave me an AAA offer, three ABB and one BBB. As it is I got ABC and I'm reapplying, but I was offered a place the BBB one, my insurance! :redface: Hope that gives you some hope for them, as your grades are much higher and choices comparatively much less risky other than Oxford (which is risky for anyone) :smile:
Original post by furryface12
You should be fine, they're all lower than your predicted grades and you should have a good chance at all of them, although Oxbridge is always a bit of a lottery I think! Even so, you should have a decent firm and insurance out of them and you could even probably put another A*AA offer in there if there was somewhere else you were interested in going.

To put it into context, I got BBBC at AS and last year was predicted ABB. I got offers from all five which wanted AAA-ABB (x2), ABB (x1) and BBB (x2). One gave me an AAA offer, three ABB and one BBB. As it is I got ABC and I'm reapplying, but I was offered a place the BBB one, my insurance! :redface: Hope that gives you some hope for them, as your grades are much higher and choices comparatively much less risky other than Oxford (which is risky for anyone) :smile:

Thanks so much. This has helped a lot and I do feel more hopeful about getting offers now. :smile:

Hey! We are in a very similar boat, I'm applying for exactly the same at Oxford Bath and Sheffield! I'm also applying to Bristol, and I'm torn between Liverpool and Cardiff (But it is very close to home) as my lower insurance. I would say consider maybe an ABB Uni if there is a uni on that list you are less inclined to firm that the others, but it's totally up to you at the end of the day.
Original post by Abi790
Hey! We are in a very similar boat, I'm applying for exactly the same at Oxford Bath and Sheffield! I'm also applying to Bristol, and I'm torn between Liverpool and Cardiff (But it is very close to home) as my lower insurance. I would say consider maybe an ABB Uni if there is a uni on that list you are less inclined to firm that the others, but it's totally up to you at the end of the day.

Hi, it's good to meet someone in a similar boat and thanks for the advice. I am considering maybe changing one of my choices to an ABB university. What subject are you applying for? :smile:
Hi, it's good to meet someone in a similar boat and thanks for the advice. I am considering maybe changing one of my choices to an ABB university. What subject are you applying for? :smile:

Exactly the same course, Biochem at Oxford, Biochem with placement at Bath, Biochem and Genetics Masters degree at Sheffield, Biochem at Bristol and Biochem with placement at either Cardiff or Liverpool. It's quite weird that we are applying for the same at Sheffield seen as their are so many combinations!
Original post by Abi790
Exactly the same course, Biochem at Oxford, Biochem with placement at Bath, Biochem and Genetics Masters degree at Sheffield, Biochem at Bristol and Biochem with placement at either Cardiff or Liverpool. It's quite weird that we are applying for the same at Sheffield seen as their are so many combinations!

Haha, that's pretty awesome and it is quite weird how we're applying for the exact same course at Sheffield. I've been interested in genetics for a long time, so I thought it would be great to combine that with biochemistry. :biggrin:
No school today
Original post by Elm Tree
No school today

Same here, I'm off because it's referral day ... or of some sort from my 6th form college.
Wbu?
Original post by XxKingSniprxX
Same here, I'm off because it's referral day ... or of some sort from my 6th form college.
Wbu?

Year 6 open day yesterday.
We left school after fourth period and have a day off today :biggrin:
Ffs now I'm thinking about not doing NatSci again. Can somebody please help me make my mind up?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Obiejess
Ffs now I'm thinking about not doing NatSci again. Can somebody please help me make my mind up?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You don't need to.

You have all of year 11 and most of year 12
Original post by L'Evil Fish
You don't need to.

You have all of year 11 and most of year 12

But my A Level choices affect it.
And they need to be done soon.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Helloo :biggrin: how have I only just seen this thread?! :redface:
Original post by Obiejess
But my A Level choices affect it.