The Student Room Group

Civil service fast stream 2014/2015

Scroll to see replies

Reply 320
Original post by KingHell
I finished my tests for the GFS on Sunday. I had no idea about all this "amber banding" etc. so I'm a bit worried now, as I still haven't got the results!

What I'd like to know, from the people who have had their results back, is: what kind of details/feedback do you receive? Does the message just say you have passed/failed, or do you get some kind of score?

You can only get your feedback if you are no longer part of the process, so if you're unsuccessful or, on the other end of the spectrum, have made it all the way through.

The feedback posted for those tests is simply a percentile, one for each test.
Hi there, just wanted to shed a bit more light as I think its great if people want to share their progress.

I sat the tests Friday afternoon ( v early friday morning Uk time) and found out I was passed during tuesday afternoon UK time. So I think I was amber banded but not for very long.

You don't get any feedback for the tests

Now for the E Tray! Whoo-hoo (NOT)

Good luck :smile:
Original post by Gales
I'm looking at applying next year for the European stream. I hear it's extremely difficult though. Is the application stage somewhat enjoyable? I've hated all other application processes.

My advice would be do as much practice for the tests as you can. If you're going for the EFS you will have to sit the EPSO Concours in two years time, so head over to EPSO and do their tests too ( that's what I did). The registration for the concours ( aka European Civil Service) begins in March and it'll be called something like AD5 Administrators.

If I've not made much sense send me a message, I was a EU Careers Ambassador at uni, promoting careers at the European Union Civil Service. :smile:
Reply 323
Original post by StrawberryFields18
Hi there, just wanted to shed a bit more light as I think its great if people want to share their progress.

I sat the tests Friday afternoon ( v early friday morning Uk time) and found out I was passed during tuesday afternoon UK time. So I think I was amber banded but not for very long.

You don't get any feedback for the tests

Now for the E Tray! Whoo-hoo (NOT)

Good luck :smile:

In fact, Tuesday PM (BST) was when the first pass/fail marks were set, so while it's not particularly important, you might like to know that you were in fact 'immediately successful' :smile:
Reply 324
Just wondering if anyone in the HR Fast Stream has heard anything yet. I think I've been amber banded, but I haven't noticed anyone posting about HR yet.
Original post by Hashshashin
About 12 hours, it turned out.

Through to the e-tray (well, the form, but apparently that's not even used to sift properly for GFS)

Relieved although also amused. I was extremely hacked off this time last year because I was filtered out by the competency questionaire.

Last year I tried to give a balanced portrayal of my capabilities and attitude, including weaknesses - it didn't work. This year I twisted all the answers to line up with all of the awful characteristics that I'd associate with most of the less competent fast streamers I know from work (I'm a current civil servant) - straight through to the next stage. :tongue:

Less competent fast streamers... How very dare you... :P
I don't think the pass mark has been set for my scheme yet, presumably because not many people appear to have applied for it. Is anyone else here applying for the Government Communications Service?
Original post by Magnum Opus
I don't think the pass mark has been set for my scheme yet, presumably because not many people appear to have applied for it. Is anyone else here applying for the Government Communications Service?

I thought of applying for that stream. I had images of becoming a young Malcolm Tucker :biggrin:

But it's actually a very serious strategy and communication stream, best of luck!
I just did the verbal reasoning test but want to wait a few days until the numerical reasoning test. Does anyone know whether the fact that I haven't immediately been kicked out means that I passed the verbal test?
Nope.
Original post by egbertonline
I just did the verbal reasoning test but want to wait a few days until the numerical reasoning test. Does anyone know whether the fact that I haven't immediately been kicked out means that I passed the verbal test?

I think they don't decide whether or not you've passed until you've taken all three tests.
Original post by modzy78
Just wondering if anyone in the HR Fast Stream has heard anything yet. I think I've been amber banded, but I haven't noticed anyone posting about HR yet.

Hi,

I did my Numerical and Verbal Reasoning tests on 7th September for HR and found out on Tuesday that I have passed and progressed to the application stage, that I'll complete this weekend. They were tough, hold in there!
Original post by madl24903
I thought of applying for that stream. I had images of becoming a young Malcolm Tucker :biggrin:

But it's actually a very serious strategy and communication stream, best of luck!

haha well you'd be immediately disappointed because it's more akin to Terri than Tucker :biggrin:
Reply 333
I am really confused by the website which says that there are 'self assessed reasoning tests', 'practised online selection tests', 'situational judgement questionnaire', and then 'online selection tests'.

Pleaaase can someone clarify what the self assessed reasoning tests are… I can't figure out what the difference is between those and the practice selection tests is?

Thank you in advance x
Reply 334
Original post by pug08
I am really confused by the website which says that there are 'self assessed reasoning tests', 'practised online selection tests', 'situational judgement questionnaire', and then 'online selection tests'.

Pleaaase can someone clarify what the self assessed reasoning tests are… I can't figure out what the difference is between those and the practice selection tests is?

Thank you in advance x

The first two are both simply chances to practice the online selection tests - covering the numerical and verbal parts.

The situational judgement questionnaire is a compulsory element which has only been added this year. The results are are not used to sift applications - they're just trialing a new process which might be added to the FS applications in the future. You just say what you are likely to do in a particular situation - you rank different courses of action - which is most and least like you.
Reply 335
Is anyone completing the GSS application form? It's so long trying to remember where I've used each of the statistical methods, and trying to describe my full knowledge within 200 words :confused:
Original post by Vrstar
Is anyone completing the GSS application form? It's so long trying to remember where I've used each of the statistical methods, and trying to describe my full knowledge within 200 words :confused:

I have it but I don't think I'm going to do it if I'm totally honest :erm:
Withdrew my stats application in the end.
Reply 338
Original post by Slowbro93
Withdrew my stats application in the end.

Ah fair enough. I wouldn't be bothered filling all that in if I wasn't that interested in the job. Are you just going for OR now?
Folks, does the 'completion date' for the bits of the application mean 23:59 of the day in question or a set time?!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending