The Student Room Group

Civil service fast stream 2014/2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Xan015
Are you absolutely sure about that? I did the etray last year (and got through with a very high score) and I was under the impression it was a graded system. I've just had a quick search and I can't find any information readily available (I can't get the quote in your next post to work?)

Not necessarily doubting you, but can't find any information at the moment confirming either way!

It's purely my own clue. I could be wrong! But, I wrote what I felt. This is my first time to apply under Fast Stream Scheme.

Is this your second time? Do they give the written task, and if, how?
Reply 361
Original post by Shahbaz Ahmad
It's purely my own clue. I could be wrong! But, I wrote what I felt. This is my first time to apply under Fast Stream Scheme.

Is this your second time? Do they give the written task, and if, how?

It's probably more useful to those reading the thread to present your impressions as that and the facts as facts.. Otherwise it becomes difficult to ascertain the reality amongst all these posts!
Original post by kat.lev
It's probably more useful to those reading the thread to present your impressions as that and the facts as facts.. Otherwise it becomes difficult to ascertain the reality amongst all these posts!

But, I am still positive about my opinion!:angelwings:
Reply 363
I suppose a lot of us who received our test results are in the same boat with the application form deadline tonight.. I've just submitted mine and am happy to have it done, it seemed to drag on even though I've been doing it all week!

I personally plan to leave the e-tray for a while, partly because I am quite busy this week but also to have a shorter wait for the first release of results! Patience.... is not really my bag!

Good luck to everyone at their various stages :badger: - and I hope this dancing badger makes you smile :biggrin: Xx
Is there just one e-tray for all the streams? I have two e-trays for commercial and finance.
Reply 365
Original post by avenue18
Does anyone know if we will be repeating the verbal reasoning/ numerical tests if invited to an assessment centre or is it all different tasks? Thanks!

I found this on the Fast Stream Facebook page, hope it helps!

Alice
Hi Rachael, I have applied for HR Fast Stream too and also wondered if you have any advice for the e-tray exercise? Also, do you know if we will be required to repeat the verbal reasoning/ numerical tests if successful and put through to an assessment centre or is it different tests? Thank you

Civil Service Fast Stream (UK)
Hi Alice,
Great to hear you are looking at the HR Fast Stream. For advice on the e-tray exercise, please see my answer to Amy.
The detailed information regarding the application process can be found on the gov.uk website. The assessment centre itself does not ask you to do the verbal and numerical tests again however, there is a written exercise, group exercise, interview and role play so it's still a busy day!
Reply 366
Original post by kat.lev
I found this on the Fast Stream Facebook page, hope it helps!

Alice
Hi Rachael, I have applied for HR Fast Stream too and also wondered if you have any advice for the e-tray exercise? Also, do you know if we will be required to repeat the verbal reasoning/ numerical tests if successful and put through to an assessment centre or is it different tests? Thank you

Civil Service Fast Stream (UK)
Hi Alice,
Great to hear you are looking at the HR Fast Stream. For advice on the e-tray exercise, please see my answer to Amy.
The detailed information regarding the application process can be found on the gov.uk website. The assessment centre itself does not ask you to do the verbal and numerical tests again however, there is a written exercise, group exercise, interview and role play so it's still a busy day!

Wow, that is different from last year (perhaps it depends on the Streams?) I did FSAC and we had to do shortened versions of the tests there. I did my FSAC for EFS, so could be different for HR!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 367
Original post by Xan015
Wow, that is different from last year (perhaps it depends on the Streams?) I did FSAC and we had to do shortened versions of the tests there. I did my FSAC for EFS, s could be different for HR!

Agreed - it seems wrong to me (although this is my first year applying) but it is consistent with the information on the Fast Stream website..!
Original post by kat.lev
Final assessmentYour e-Tray test is assessed, and shortlisted candidates are invited to a 1-day assessment at the Fast Stream Assessment Centre (FSAC) in London. The event consists of a written exercise, leadership exercise, group exercise and interview.

(From the Fast Stream website)

This implies that there is no further tests, but I know that in previous years that there has been a brief re-test of the numerical and verbal tests, simply to ensure that your scores match up with your online results.

Can anyone clarify?

I'm a huge nerd but if I were to get to FSAC, it would help to calm me don if there was a maths test first as I like numbers :colondollar:

It's my understanding you sit the tests again to verify your scores. I.e. to ensure you sat them the first time and didn't get help from anyone else.
Original post by Xan015
Are you absolutely sure about that? I did the etray last year (and got through with a very high score) and I was under the impression it was a graded system. I've just had a quick search and I can't find any information readily available (I can't get the quote in your next post to work?)

Not necessarily doubting you, but can't find any information at the moment confirming either way!

I think it's grading too. 2 points if you match their most appropriate answer, one point if it's the lesser appropriate one. It's a disguised situational judgement test at the end of the day.
Reply 370
Original post by StrawberryFields18
It's my understanding you sit the tests again to verify your scores. I.e. to ensure you sat them the first time and didn't get help from anyone else.

That's what I thought too.. but then the Facebook page is one of the sources of information so I'm confused. Next time they have a live chat, I'll ask.

I was trying to share info that was actually 'official' if you know what I mean instead of hearsay.. but seems it's incorrect this time!
How long do they take to process results for the online tests?
Reply 372
Does anyone have a rough idea of applicant to place ratio for these streams?
Reply 373
Original post by wsbsahir
How long do they take to process results for the online tests?

From the candidate site:
This message is for candidates who have completed the Online Selection Tests and whose scheme progress page is showing "Awaiting Results". Candidates who have taken the online tests will be progressively marked against their schemes from late September until November. Message dated 16 September 2014

Remember that the deadline for the online tests may not be until 21st November for GFS and 14th Nov for the other non-analytical streams, so you might not hear anything until then. When you hear depends on your score.
Thank you kat.lev!
I have to say a lot of these questions seem to be looking for detail that's not really important.

The best thing to do is practice, practice, practice and then finally carry out the exercise.

Don't try to fake out the psychometric tests, for all you know they may be comparing your FSAC performance against them.

Don't worry about resitting written and verbal tests (although I'd be surprised if they don't do this) because there's no extra preparation that requires. They'll most likely just be checking you didn't ace the first test and fail the second.

there's a whole range of people who get through with various levels of skill in verbal and numerical, and similarly people may bomb one section of FSAC but still get through because you have multiple chances to show competencies.

Try not to over think this stuff. All the information you need should be on the FS pages (I know the stuff from last year is still archived, I'm not sure what stuff is contained on this year's application page).

At the end of the day it's an assessment. It's not a certificate to be gained, but it's an assessment of how you would perform in the real situations that you would be put into.
You are right! But I emailed anyway and they replied this:

Thank you for your e-mail. You will not have to retake any of the tests at FSAC and you don't have to retake the E-Tray.

With Best Wishes
Kirsty Robinson
Fast Stream Administrator
Talent Management Division
Parity Solutions Ltd
We definitely didn't retake the e-tray.
Reply 378
Original post by GManTheGMan
I have to say a lot of these questions seem to be looking for detail that's not really important.

The best thing to do is practice, practice, practice and then finally carry out the exercise.

Don't try to fake out the psychometric tests, for all you know they may be comparing your FSAC performance against them.

Don't worry about resitting written and verbal tests (although I'd be surprised if they don't do this) because there's no extra preparation that requires. They'll most likely just be checking you didn't ace the first test and fail the second.

there's a whole range of people who get through with various levels of skill in verbal and numerical, and similarly people may bomb one section of FSAC but still get through because you have multiple chances to show competencies.

Try not to over think this stuff. All the information you need should be on the FS pages (I know the stuff from last year is still archived, I'm not sure what stuff is contained on this year's application page).

At the end of the day it's an assessment. It's not a certificate to be gained, but it's an assessment of how you would perform in the real situations that you would be put into.

Some really good advice, thanks for sharing :smile:

Are you applying this year or writing as a newbie Fast Streamer? I think I recognise your name from last year..?

I definitely agree that over-thinking doesn't help! But I know a lot of people worry about stuff that shouldn't be worried about and I for one am just trying to answer questions with the help of the info that is made public.

I'm only up to the e-tray phase so far but I believe that all the info that you need is readily available on the Fast Stream website or in the pre-amble to each stage. I'm finding it to be a pretty transparent process, not including the competency which I found to be simply bizarre!
Hi, I'm a newbie on the DaT stream although I was an existing Civil Servant so I understood the culture pretty well.

When I applied last year, there was a 20 page (or so) document in the application site saying what should be expected at each stage, and this was the most important for me. I gather some things have changed this year. So if they have that, everybody should read that.

Don't get me wrong, I think you're being very helpful and if you're able to answer all these questions on your own, that's probably a good sign :smile:. I think we'll both agree that sharing publicly available information on the process is fine.

What concerns me (and I wasn't on TSR at this early stage last year) is any questions that seem to be about how to game the system, or seeking other people's assistance about how they should answer questions. I'm a little confused by people who want a second chance at the psychometric test. It begs the question "were you lying the first time, or will you be lying the second time".

Finally, any queries about the application system (if you clicked a wrong button, for instance and killed your application, like I did!) should go to the team at parity (rather than here) as they're the only ones who can fix it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending