The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society Mk XIV

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Cinnie
I'm doing my dissertation too - about the role of genetics in psychiatric illness. I disagree with your tutor - the more interested you are in your subject the more effort you'll put into it - I say GO FOR IT :biggrin: Just make sure you don't go off on any tangents and be objective. Aaaand don't sacrifice your other modules time-wise.

Yeah it blocks the adrenaline so i'm slightly worried about exercise but oh well...

oooo sounds really cool :smile: she actually explained why she thought it wouldn't be a good idea really well tbh - the way we do our dissertations means that we don't have any other modules going on at the same time, so you don't meet up with your peers as often - most people will only see their class mates once or twice a week, its a really intensive project to be on and we've never done anything like it before, and it coincides with a time which is traditionally very stressful for us because we're having to sort out flats and houses in our clinical school cities, we're leaving friends and having to prepare for our giant clinical exam - which means that next semester is the time where the most mental illnesses make their appearances. and if you're isolated a lot of the time, and struggling, the last thing you want to have to do is spend every day reading about what you're struggling with. so i understand why she doesn't want me to be doing anything that cuts too close to home.

beta blockers are actually a banned substance in sports because they can falsely improve their abilities, so I'm sure it won't be much of a problem for you :smile:
I haven't forgotten about you guys, I've just been busy with being back at uni the past few weeks! Wishing everyone well!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Team_McDreamy
:smile:

Ah fair enough - mine is only worth 1 module so it's not as intense :smile:

NICE I definitely didn't get as hot/flustered or puffed out during my gym workout yesterday so I was like wow! Am I not working hard or is it these meds? lol
Original post by Cinnie
Ah fair enough - mine is only worth 1 module so it's not as intense :smile:

NICE I definitely didn't get as hot/flustered or puffed out during my gym workout yesterday so I was like wow! Am I not working hard or is it these meds? lol

ours counts for something like 75 or 80% of our whole semesters grade :redface: cause normally we only have one module per semester :redface:

are you going to be working on any specific psychiatric illness? :smile:

hahaaaa, sounds awesome :biggrin: yeah, it depresses the adrenocorticotrophic system, so it decreases your heart rate and breathing rate, which means theres less strain on your heart to keep your muscles oxygenated :smile:
Original post by furryface12
Just had a really bad week if I'm honest and physical health stuff kicking off majorly which isn't helping matters :redface: Managed to make myself get up and have a shower though, spoke to a couple of people and played with the dog for a while so feel a little bit better now :smile: How are you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ahh, that's a shame :hugs: Good that you had a shower & talked to people though, that can help a lot if they are nice & supportive. My mental frame of mind isn't too bad atm, although I get bored a lot with not many people to hang out with (music is like my best friend atm haha :tongue:) I do have work though, although shame that the managers stress me out quite a bit :sigh:
Original post by ScaryScience
omg. in the most horrific mood imaginable. so moody, so irritated by everything, so much hurting, just cried all the way through my lecture. I hate everything.

also

Spoiler

:hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

Original post by james1211
I haven't forgotten about you guys, I've just been busy with being back at uni the past few weeks! Wishing everyone well!

Posted from TSR Mobile

:hi: How's uni going for you?
Original post by Team_McDreamy
ours counts for something like 75 or 80% of our whole semesters grade :redface: cause normally we only have one module per semester :redface:

are you going to be working on any specific psychiatric illness? :smile:

hahaaaa, sounds awesome :biggrin: yeah, it depresses the adrenocorticotrophic system, so it decreases your heart rate and breathing rate, which means theres less strain on your heart to keep your muscles oxygenated :smile:

Ah ok, for my course each module is worth 15 credits, and I am doing 120 this year. My research so far suggests that there is a lot of overlap gene-wise between psychiatric illnesses and personality traits in general - so I might as well talk about the link between the genome and complex illnesses in general and then go into a few recently discoveries for specific psychiatric illnesses in my last section. Schizophrenia seems to be the most studied one.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Jean-Luc Picard
:hugs: can you maybe go another time when you feel better?

I'm gonna go on Friday, I just don't have the energy today :frown: gonna do the stuff I can do in my room tonight and then go to the library on Friday I think. I feel **** :frown:
Original post by lauraaaaa
I'm gonna go on Friday, I just don't have the energy today :frown: gonna do the stuff I can do in my room tonight and then go to the library on Friday I think. I feel **** :frown:

at least is just delaying rather than not going at all then! sorry you feel so ****, anything you want to talk about? here if you want a chat :smile: huge hugs! :hugs:
Got to test centre to find out they'd cancelled the test. Now for the joy of calling them and hopefully getting travel expenses refunded.
I told my GP about the chip in the brain so I can be referred for surgery but she said they can't do it :frown:
Don't feel very good. Just a sudden drop in happiness ugh :P
Original post by purple-duck
Hey :redface: Realised I didn't reply to you before :sad:

Hockey still going well? :smile:

Hey :redface: Sorry for taking forever :frown:

Did I see somewhere that bf came to visit, or you went to visit bf? Hope you had a good time either way :smile:

Haha, it's so easy to buy stuff there though! :eek: Why it's scary, I suppose :tongue:
I'd be happy to! :smile: Have a couple people from here already :colondollar: I'll PM you my username and then you can decide whether to add me or not? :smile:

:hugs: Hope you're well

Thanks :redface: Realising that I might actually be doing really well, in an odd way - in that I think I might be being more normal sort of-ness the last week/half-week or so? :smile:
Yeah had the pre-group meeting with counsellor this afternoon/evening - was nice to talk to someone again about things, and it sounds as though it should be good :smile: Though also semi-scary because we're meant to sort of challenge each other? I mean not like overly at all - but I guess that's maybe what's tricky with actual therapy methods, and this is just counselling basically in a group so :redface:
Yeah I know :redface: Scary had a good suggestion with applying for DSA/getting evidence to try and ask again about it - which I think I'll try :smile:
:hugs: Should give it a go I'd say :redface: I don't know - I mean mine had been quite helpful beforehand, I think - just the last meeting wasn't fantastic :dontknow:

How're you doing recently? :hugs:
edit: Just seen your post - sorry you're not doing well tonight :frown: :jumphug:

Spoiler

Hello, no don't worry! :smile:

It didn't end up happening because he was going to come last friday, then it was getting really late. Saturday ran out of time again. Then sunday we was going to be together but we thought lets just wait till next weekend and have 3 and a bit days together. Bit being him going back to uni monday but he will probably stay over Sunday. :smile: I hope, I miss him. :frown:

I hate how they dont give refunds. :frown: When I brought ambitions I would've loved a refund lol. I'm so tight with money. :colondollar: Aww i'd love to add you. :smile: my boyfriend has TF2 and said I can play if I like. I'm not that good with games lol.

I've been really ill, my head won't stop hurting and I can't remember which night it was but it felt like I was going back into the past. Seeing things, paranoia all that horrible stuff. :frown: Right now I have a cold too, and I can't stop sneezing lol. I never thought colds made you sneeze. :/ lol.

How have you been? Sorry for the long reply :hugs:
Original post by trekkin
Don't feel very good. Just a sudden drop in happiness ugh :P

I hope you feel better soon. :hugs:

Maybe you could do something you enjoy that makes you happy. Like, I like to sing sometimes or watch something funny. :smile: Like Michael Mcintyre or something. :smile:
at least is just delaying rather than not going at all then! sorry you feel so ****, anything you want to talk about? here if you want a chat :smile: huge hugs! :hugs:

Yeah, I've got loads of stuff to do tonight actually, but I think I'm gonna go up at like 4 to do it :frown: I need to sleep for like a week :frown:
Original post by lauraaaaa
Yeah, I've got loads of stuff to do tonight actually, but I think I'm gonna go up at like 4 to do it :frown: I need to sleep for like a week :frown:

hopefully you get some good sleep soon then! :hugs:
Original post by Valvopus
Got to test centre to find out they'd cancelled the test. Now for the joy of calling them and hopefully getting travel expenses refunded.

You should be able to get all out of pocket expenses refunded, including anything you paid to your instructor for using the car during the test if I remember correctly. Do you know when you will be able to rebook for?
hopefully you get some good sleep soon then! :hugs:

Let's hope that tonight will be the night :') got soooo much work but eugh
Original post by rmhumphries
You should be able to get all out of pocket expenses refunded, including anything you paid to your instructor for using the car during the test if I remember correctly. Do you know when you will be able to rebook for?

Yeah that's the plan. December sometime?
:'(

Latest