The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society Mk XIV

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Spock's Socks
You might remember me by my old user name - Yasmin25 :smile: I used to be active on the old thread when I got panic attacks. Howdy and nice to meet ya :smile: I'm Yasmin or Spock, fine to go by either name :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh yes - I remember that username! So we have met before - my bad :tongue:

Nice to see you on here though! :yep: How are you doing? Glad to hear you're having fewer panic attacks now :hugs:
You might remember me by my old user name - Yasmin25 :smile: I used to be active on the old thread when I got panic attacks. Howdy and nice to meet ya :smile: I'm Yasmin or Spock, fine to go by either name :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

:hi: I remember you! How's it going? :smile:
Got my first driving lesson with a proper instructor tonight and I'm absolutely bricking it! My bf has been teaching me in our car but I've only ever drove with him in a car park, not the roads! Also nervous about meeting the guy. I'm sure he'll be lovely and we'll get on great but I've still got the first meeting nerves.

Also I got an appointment through today for physiotherapy for my panic attacks. I never knew you could get this for panics but apparently they show you relaxation methods and will help my back as when I had constant panics I always sat hunched and my back has never been right since :frown: have any of you ever been to physio for mental health issues? I rarely get panics now but today I am getting them cuz of this driving lesson but I suppose that's normal. Ahhhh just want it over with! Lol.

Hope everyone has a good day :smile:
Posted from TSR Mobile

Try not to worry too much- he'll be used to new students being nervous and at least you've driven a little bit before! I still get nervous about lessons and I've been having them for nearly eight months (and I'm still terrible :tongue:) but they do get slowly better, my instructor's used to me panicking at random moments but it just means he watches a bit more than he might with other people, particularly since my concentrations pretty crap especially when I'm tired :redface: If you really don't like him you can always change instructors :smile: Good luck!

------
The dog's sat in front of me with her lead in her mouth looking at me, I feel so guilty for not taking her out but I'm just sat here crying and feel ridiculously shaky and ill, no-one else will walk her though so I'm going to have to some point today :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
headache :frown:
Getting a new CC to cover when my other one is away. Nervous about meeting her :/
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Oh yes - I remember that username! So we have met before - my bad :tongue:

Nice to see you on here though! :yep: How are you doing? Glad to hear you're having fewer panic attacks now :hugs:

Yip that was me :tongue: I was allowed a name change since my old username was my real name :smile:

I've been doing good thanks. I rarely get panics now, maybe a few a week but that is nothing compared to what I used to get and I can get over them nearly instantly now so I'm happy with that :smile: just been a bag of nerves today since I have my first lesson. I'm not so nervous about mucking up or crashing (though to be fair I'm ditzy as hell :tongue: ) I'm more nervous about meeting my instructor. I love meeting new people but being stuck in a situation with someone I don't know like in a car makes me feel a little nervous. Knowing me I'll work myself into a panic over my lesson, the guy will be great and I'll be wanting next week to hurry up :tongue:

How have you been? :smile:
Original post by superwolf
:hi: I remember you! How's it going? :smile:

I remember you too :tongue: things have been going pretty good thanks :smile: just started back up at uni and starting driving lessons tonight. How have you been? :smile:
Original post by furryface12
Try not to worry too much- he'll be used to new students being nervous and at least you've driven a little bit before! I still get nervous about lessons and I've been having them for nearly eight months (and I'm still terrible :tongue:) but they do get slowly better, my instructor's used to me panicking at random moments but it just means he watches a bit more than he might with other people, particularly since my concentrations pretty crap especially when I'm tired :redface: If you really don't like him you can always change instructors :smile: Good luck!

------
The dog's sat in front of me with her lead in her mouth looking at me, I feel so guilty for not taking her out but I'm just sat here crying and feel ridiculously shaky and ill, no-one else will walk her though so I'm going to have to some point today :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks, I'll let you know how I get on :smile: its the waiting about for the lesson that is the worst. I chose evening lessons thinking that would be better but now I wish I went for morning or afternoon to get it by with sooner lol. That is good that your instructor is understanding when you panic. I'm worried about taking a panic attack while driving or just while in the car with the instructor :s-smilie:
Guys, this a weird question. If I speak to my parents in a different language, does that mean my mother tongue is this particular different language?

Even if I don't know know how to write or read it?
Thanks, I'll let you know how I get on :smile: its the waiting about for the lesson that is the worst. I chose evening lessons thinking that would be better but now I wish I went for morning or afternoon to get it by with sooner lol. That is good that your instructor is understanding when you panic. I'm worried about taking a panic attack while driving or just while in the car with the instructor :s-smilie:

I can imagine that! I've tried both but generally prefer them in the morning as it's less busy and I'm less tired, but that's down to personal preference I think! I think I've only ever had one panic attack whilst driving but we managed to pull over and he waited for me to calm down a bit and then he drove home- he was fine with it, although did say it probably would have been helpful for me to explain to him beforehand what might happen so he knew what to do :redface: The other times (which happen several times a lesson sometimes :colondollar:) I've just panicked fairly briefly in a specific situation, but fortunately nothing particularly bad has ever come out of those! I'm sure he'll be nice though, just be honest with him and stay as calm as you can, you could always say you've never driven before so you start from the absolute basics and he doesn't expect anything of you? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Noodlzzz
Getting a new CC to cover when my other one is away. Nervous about meeting her :/

Good luck. :smile:

I remember you too :tongue: things have been going pretty good thanks :smile: just started back up at uni and starting driving lessons tonight. How have you been? :smile:

Hope uni's going well - I finally graduated last year, which I'm pretty proud of. :smile: I'm doing well at the minute, decided to apply for uni again, this time to do occupational therapy (bit of a change from Russian, but I think it's really what I want to do with my life! :biggrin:).

Original post by senz72
Guys, this a weird question. If I speak to my parents in a different language, does that mean my mother tongue is this particular different language?

What language do you naturally think in in your head? I'd say from a linguist's point of view that your mother tongue can really be whatever language you identify with most and have learned more or less from birth. Being literate in it doesn't necessarily mean anything, as there are plenty of people out there illiterate in any language. :smile:

There are also people who've learned one language for the first few years of their life, moved to another country and forgotten their original language almost completely - I think it would be entirely up to them to decide which language they'd then identify as their mother tongue.
(edited 9 years ago)
Had a 2 hour psychobiology lecture and a 2 hour stats lecture with only a 10 minute break inbetween so my head is completely mashed. Concentration or motivation wasn't too good but I think I got the jist of what was going on so going to watch a bit of Netflix then start writing up my notes. My lecturer was a complete dick when talking about depression/antidepressants though and that threw me off track a bit.
Original post by Anonymous #2
Had a 2 hour psychobiology lecture and a 2 hour stats lecture with only a 10 minute break inbetween so my head is completely mashed. Concentration or motivation wasn't too good but I think I got the jist of what was going on so going to watch a bit of Netflix then start writing up my notes. My lecturer was a complete dick when talking about depression/antidepressants though and that threw me off track a bit.

Sounds like that would mash anybody's brain! :console: Well done on managing to go to it all, maybe send your lecturer a polite email objecting to what they said if you feel up to it?
So Zopi kinda nocked me out, but made me sleep till half 2 :eek:

Posted from TSR Mobile
got to that pathetic stage where I cant hold it together in public. cried all the way round town today. couldn't even give a **** tbh. im just too pathetic
Walked past ex friend again today earlier, so awkward and scary

Posted from TSR Mobile
Passed out in bed for two hours. Couldn't get out of bed again til now. Bang goes my productive day :sad:

Original post by Noodlzzz

:penguinhug:

Yip that was me :tongue: I was allowed a name change since my old username was my real name :smile:

I've been doing good thanks. I rarely get panics now, maybe a few a week but that is nothing compared to what I used to get and I can get over them nearly instantly now so I'm happy with that :smile: just been a bag of nerves today since I have my first lesson. I'm not so nervous about mucking up or crashing (though to be fair I'm ditzy as hell :tongue: ) I'm more nervous about meeting my instructor. I love meeting new people but being stuck in a situation with someone I don't know like in a car makes me feel a little nervous. Knowing me I'll work myself into a panic over my lesson, the guy will be great and I'll be wanting next week to hurry up :tongue:

How have you been? :smile:

That's really impressive, it sounds like you're making huge leaps and strides. Well done you!

Fingers crossed it will be OK! :h:

Original post by senz72

I would say that would be your mother tongue :yep: Lots of people can't read or write their mother tongue. Like I don't think any of my cousins can read or write Sinhalese, even though many of them speak it perfectly fine :dontknow:

Edit: Actually, Wolfie's right - it's more about what language you think in, come to think of it :colondollar:
Original post by superwolf
Sounds like that would mash anybody's brain! :console: Well done on managing to go to it all, maybe send your lecturer a polite email objecting to what they said if you feel up to it?

Hope you're ok!
Hey guys :awesome:
I'm new here.....!

My mum was diagnosed with breast cancer 6 years ago and it is now terminal. She is 100% dependent and is in a wheelchair. I'm in my final year at university and I'm really, really struggling to keep up with everything. I'm going home every tuesday so that my dad can get out the house and vent, work or whatever. Obviously it's taking a massive toll on my uni work etc and I'm really worried :frown: I've been feeling really down for about 6 months now and it is starting to take over me. I'm tired all the time because I can't switch my brain off at night and stop thinking about everything. I feel sad and negative all the time, anti social, sad and isolated all the time. Has anyone else experienced this? :frown:
Original post by TeaLeaves93
I'm new here.....!

My mum was diagnosed with breast cancer 6 years ago and it is now terminal. She is 100% dependent and is in a wheelchair. I'm in my final year at university and I'm really, really struggling to keep up with everything. I'm going home every tuesday so that my dad can get out the house and vent, work or whatever. Obviously it's taking a massive toll on my uni work etc and I'm really worried :frown: I've been feeling really down for about 6 months now and it is starting to take over me. I'm tired all the time because I can't switch my brain off at night and stop thinking about everything. I feel sad and negative all the time, anti social, sad and isolated all the time. Has anyone else experienced this? :frown:

Hiya! :hi:

Welcome to MHSS! :h: I'm really sorry to hear your mum's cancer is terminal. I can't imagine what that must feel like :frown:

Are you and your dad in contact with any Macmillan nurses or people who might be able to support you two a bit with the emotional side of things? It sounds like a great strain on you both, as one would of course expect.

Have you considered going to your GP and mentioning these symptoms to him or her? Does your GP know the family situation and how things are at home? I would hope your GP would be keeping an eye on you! :console:
Original post by TeaLeaves93
I'm new here.....!

Have you thought about interupting your studies?
This means you can be at home for the year and do your 3rd year starting next september?
You could also think about dropping down to part time.

You cant let your health be affected, you have to find the balance and think whats best for YOU

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest