The Student Room Group

Civil service fast stream 2014/2015

Scroll to see replies

Reply 600
Original post by Shahbaz Ahmad
Don't know, as this is my first year. Glad to hear that one more candidate has completed e-tray. Waiting for the results. What's your scheme?

Best of luck!

Applying for the Diplomatic Service General FS.

Yeah waiting on results now too, hopefully they're out soon.
On the actual full application form itself how much detail have people gone into for the various sections. For example I'm filling in ExtraCurricular atm, would it be best to simply list activities or write full paragraphs including how they demonstrate your competency? Sorry if it seems like a nitpicky question, just don't want to over do it :s
Reply 602
I'm doing online practice tests and they say that in the actual test, a calculator will not be permitted. I don't really understand this if it's online...
Original post by mandamoo92
On the actual full application form itself how much detail have people gone into for the various sections. For example I'm filling in ExtraCurricular atm, would it be best to simply list activities or write full paragraphs including how they demonstrate your competency? Sorry if it seems like a nitpicky question, just don't want to over do it :s

For my application I gave the activity and just a couple of bullet points as to what I did in them :smile:
Original post by Slowbro93
For my application I gave the activity and just a couple of bullet points as to what I did in them :smile:

Cheers :smile:
Do you need to be in your first of university to apply for the early diversity internship?
Hi,

You must be in your penultimate or final year at university (include postgraduate studies immediately following first degree) and be expected to get (or be awarded) a 2:2 degree in any discipline.

(Edit: apologies, this was for the summer diversity internship)
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Black Cat
Do you need to be in your first of university to apply for the early diversity internship?

The early diversity internship scheme is only for first year undergrads, yes.
Reply 608
Original post by frankers1088
I've been invited to the Social Research Assessment Centre at the end of the month. Has anyone done this before and can provide any more information about the tasks required? I've read the brief information on the website, but would like to be as prepared as possible!

Hey, I'm attending the SRAC too, I have to go there next Tuesday morning. Do you have any idea of what to expect? I'm not really sure what to prepare/how to go about it other than ensuring basic social research knowledge. The 9-page booklet they gave was useful to an extent, though
Original post by ManifoldManifest
The early diversity internship scheme is only for first year undergrads, yes.

Sorry I was looking at the summer diversity programme. So many programmes!
Just applied for the summer diversity programme
Excellent. Hope I helped in some small way!
Reply 612
I'm finding the timing quite tight on the verbal tests.

Do you guys generally read the passage and then answer the questions or read the questions then find the relevant information in the passage?
Reply 613
Original post by hobosax
I'm finding the timing quite tight on the verbal tests.

Do you guys generally read the passage and then answer the questions or read the questions then find the relevant information in the passage?

I read the whole passage each time, and found that when I read the questions that I could remember roughly where the info was in each passage.. if that makes sense!

It was a while ago now, but I think I may have read each passage twice actually, as I have a bad attention span and wanted to give myself the best chance!

Hope that helps, I was lucky enough to be successful at the tests on the first narrowing.
Original post by adam.farrow
Hey, I'm attending the SRAC too, I have to go there next Tuesday morning. Do you have any idea of what to expect? I'm not really sure what to prepare/how to go about it other than ensuring basic social research knowledge. The 9-page booklet they gave was useful to an extent, though

Hi Adam,
I'm also going on Tuesday morning (28th). I have no idea what to expect other than what is in the booklet. It's certainly useful in that it describes the three tasks and style of writing goes some way to allay any concerns about bias, or correcting yourself during the interview. But, at the same time I'm quite nervous about the oral task as it seems to be a very multi-faceted assessment! I've trawled the web for some more information, but have not had much luck. So I'm just trying to prep as much as I can. I graduated a few years ago so there's a LOT of re-learning going on! :redface:
Original post by kat.lev
I read the whole passage each time, and found that when I read the questions that I could remember roughly where the info was in each passage.. if that makes sense!

It was a while ago now, but I think I may have read each passage twice actually, as I have a bad attention span and wanted to give myself the best chance!

Hope that helps, I was lucky enough to be successful at the tests on the first narrowing.

I also have issues with attention span, and found I was able to answer more quickly (and hopefully accurately) by reading the passage after the questions.

My general advice would be use the practice session to work out the best strategy for you.
Reply 616
Original post by frankers1088
Hi Adam,
I'm also going on Tuesday morning (28th). I have no idea what to expect other than what is in the booklet. It's certainly useful in that it describes the three tasks and style of writing goes some way to allay any concerns about bias, or correcting yourself during the interview. But, at the same time I'm quite nervous about the oral task as it seems to be a very multi-faceted assessment! I've trawled the web for some more information, but have not had much luck. So I'm just trying to prep as much as I can. I graduated a few years ago so there's a LOT of re-learning going on! :redface:

Ah that's a pain! I'm third year and even going over second year stuff on top of all my current modules is killing me. What time do you need to arrive on tuesday? I have to be there at 8:10 which is a killer, means getting up at 6! as if it's not challenging enough I'll have to be pumped with caffeine to stand a chance
Ah that's a pain! I'm third year and even going over second year stuff on top of all my current modules is killing me. What time do you need to arrive on tuesday? I have to be there at 8:10 which is a killer, means getting up at 6! as if it's not challenging enough I'll have to be pumped with caffeine to stand a chance

Personally I would see if you can stay with a friend the night before. Putting your luck on public transport for that time in the morning is risky in my opinion!
Reply 618
Original post by Slowbro93
Personally I would see if you can stay with a friend the night before. Putting your luck on public transport for that time in the morning is risky in my opinion!

I'm staying with my partner, he lives pretty central but I know I'll need to wake myself up and the tube at the time in the morning is horrific.
I'm staying with my partner, he lives pretty central but I know I'll need to wake myself up and the tube at the time in the morning is horrific.

Ahhh, makes sense. You'll be fine :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending