The Student Room Group

picked completely wrong subjects at sixth form not sure what to do.

hi
ive been at sixth form for one term now and i have realised that i have picked the wrong subjects. i am currently doing psychology, sociology, physics and computing (coding etc.). the only one of those subjects that i am interested in is computing (i think thats what i want to do in the future). But i still have to do the other three subjects none of which i am even remotely interested in (and i cant do well in the subjects if i dont find them enjoyable/interesting).
looking back at it now i should of went for a college course which is a full time computing course, but it is too late to join.

Any advice on what to do?

p.s. im 16 turning 17 in june next year if that helps
Reply 1
Original post by jamesdavid9998
hi
ive been at sixth form for one term now and i have realised that i have picked the wrong subjects. i am currently doing psychology, sociology, physics and computing (coding etc.). the only one of those subjects that i am interested in is computing (i think thats what i want to do in the future). But i still have to do the other three subjects none of which i am even remotely interested in (and i cant do well in the subjects if i dont find them enjoyable/interesting).
looking back at it now i should of went for a college course which is a full time computing course, but it is too late to join.

Any advice on what to do?

p.s. im 16 turning 17 in june next year if that helps

Have you talked about switching courses to any of your teachers?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MrJAKEE
Have you talked about switching courses to any of your teachers?

Posted from TSR Mobile

yeah sort of but it is a bit too late for that. also the way this sixth form is set up means that i would have to pick a subject from a certain "academic" list of subjects and most of those are full up.
Reply 3
You could keep Physics and Computing and next year pick up a full Maths A-Level to go alongside those two? Then you would end up with three useful A-Levels: Maths, Physics, Computing.

Or you could check if any colleges near you have a January start for a BTEC Extended Diploma in IT. This will also allow you to go to many universities if you do well in it, but you should check that it is taught well, and which modules you can pick, so that you don't end up disillusioned.

Some of the best universities may not accept a BTEC (especially stand-alone), and some of the better universities will expect you to have taken A-Level Maths alongside, but many average universities will accept it as is, so it depends what you want. Depending also on what kind of profession you aspire to in the future, three A-Levels may be the safer option, if you can do well in them.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by jamesdavid9998
yeah sort of but it is a bit too late for that. also the way this sixth form is set up means that i would have to pick a subject from a certain "academic" list of subjects and most of those are full up.

I have no idea on the BTEC front but most universities ask prospective computing applicants to have Maths A level, like the person before me said, or even Further Maths. Then many universaties say Physics is a good one on top (and possibly even Chemistry). My advice is get rid of either psychology/sociology for maths and keep the other, and then drop either the Physics or the other psychology/sociology next year. How did you do in your GCSE maths?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
The BTEC Extended diploma in IT is a really good option providing you get taught good units like programming, computer architecture, networks etc. I did it and am currently at uni studying a BSc degree in Computer Science, if you can take maths a level alongside it that will help but the first year CompSci maths that im doing isn't too difficult and I haven't studied maths for a few years

Hope this helps :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest