The Student Room Group

Economics applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by NinjaPandaa
Ooh which college is that? I don't know whether just having one is good or bad though like what if I don't show off my skills enough hmm

Posted from TSR Mobile

Selwyn. I think having one is good - they probably already want you and are confident in your ability to do well :wink:
Original post by NinjaPandaa
Oooh that's cool, quite clear what sort of prep to do then I guess

Posted from TSR Mobile

yeah just keep up to date with econ news and do some hard maths qs
credit to anybody who got a kings interview, 120+ applicants - mental

'Typical' =/= Average
Original post by Boy_wonder_95
'Typical' =/= Average

Fair enough. 634 is ridiculously high

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jchap9776
credit to anybody who got a kings interview, 120+ applicants - mental

Do you know anyone whos got an interview from kings yet?:redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sr234
Do you know anyone whos got an interview from kings yet?:redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know someone who didn't! :/

I haven't heard back yet. Should I be worried?
Original post by lindajohnson

What's your UMS?
Original post by Boy_wonder_95
:lolwut:. Where did you get this figure from?

Last time I checked the average was 634. http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?s=economics (Look under Entry Standards)

How the flip does anyone get 634? 4A*s at A2 is 560

If I do the best I can next year 3A* + A in AS FM, I'll get 480 which places me well below average yet my UMS will be at the higher end. Or am I miscalculating the scores?

How much does it really matter?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by EHZ17
How the flip does anyone get 634? 4A*s at A2 is 560

If I do the best I can next year 3A* + A in AS FM, I'll get 480 which places me well below average yet my UMS will be at the higher end. Or am I miscalculating the scores?

How much does it really matter?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've heard people say that the extra UCAS points come from bs things to do with music and something else random :tongue: The main story is that no one needs care about UCAS points lol.
Original post by mwatters
I've heard people say that the extra UCAS points come from bs things to do with music and something else random :tongue: The main story is that no one needs care about UCAS points lol.

Lol I had 750 UCAS points from purely academic qualifications and still got rejected pre-interview from cambridge, so you're right in saying that UCAS points don't matter that much.
Original post by ak2015
Lol I had 750 UCAS points from purely academic qualifications and still got rejected pre-interview from cambridge, so you're right in saying that UCAS points don't matter that much.

750 points :O How do you come about that many?! Sorry to hear about a rejection also, do you know why it was?
The reason the UCAS point averages is high is because of the IB as they can get up to around 700 points if they get 45/45 whereas people who do a levels don't have that opportunity - hence why Cambridge / most other top units will look purely the grades/ums

If you're applying for econ at kings, I wouldn't worry since I don't think they've sent out any invites yet:smile:

I know scary!:eek:
Original post by benpeters
Fair enough Andrew. At the end of the day it's down to the interview (once you get the interview), and from what 2 of my cousins told me (1 of which got in) they ask STEP questions to really test your maths out - this is clearly due to the economics course being quite dependent on mathematics at a high level (and obviously STEP is a lot harder than A2 Further Maths! Haha makes the A2 a walk in the park

The maths questions are interview are nowhere near STEP level lol
Original post by Mike_123
The maths questions are interview are nowhere near STEP level lol

step is so easy..
yeah mate, I wont get in

Ahh why not??
Ahh why not??

Because I am too street, nah jk I reckon my chances are 50:50, I haven't got my heart set on Cambridge so I don't really mind

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending