The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Obiejess
Gah. 5 words too many on this bloody manifesto.

For what, may I ask?
Original post by O133
For what, may I ask?

Running for Member of Youth Parliament in my area. Quite difficult because it has to be understood by students as young as 11, whilst still getting my political point across.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Obiejess
Running for Member of Youth Parliament in my area. Quite difficult because it has to be understood by students as young as 11, whilst still getting my political point across.

Sounds interesting. I've just had a look at it but it's a different organisation in Wales (Funky Dragon - or "Draig Ffynci" in Welsh) whose website doesn't seem to mention becoming an MYP. :frown:
Original post by O133
Sounds interesting. I've just had a look at it but it's a different organisation in Wales (Funky Dragon - or "Draig Ffynci" in Welsh) whose website doesn't seem to mention becoming an MYP. :frown:

The main point I'm struggling with is the morals of politics. I have had to decide between putting the points which will actually get me elected in my manifesto vs some issues I think are massively important but don't impact my 'constituents' quite as much.

Posted from TSR Mobile
So I've spent around £600 on guitar related stuff so far. Worth every penny though :lol:
Had my first shift at work. Literally stood around for four hours.
Original post by emcat
Had my first shift at work. Literally stood around for four hours.

Enjoy it?
I got offers from both Kent and Loughborough today!!! So so happy haha.

I don't know how, since my predicted grades are only BCC, yet Kent want me to get ABB and Loughborough want me to get BBB... I'd like to think it was down to my amazing personal statement...

As much as I would love to go to Kent, I think I'm actually going to decline their offer, since I really don't think I could get ABB, whereas (at this moment in time) I'm thinking about firming Loughborough, since I've looked into it a lot more recently, the study abroad programme doesn't take up an extra year (however that does mean it's 6 months shorter :frown: ) but I think if I really work my arse off I could get BBB/ABC :smile:

Sorry for the massive wall of text this late at night - I'm just really happy. :smile:

Just waiting for Sheff Hallam to get back to me now, and they'll be my insurance. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by pizzanomics
I got offers from both Kent and Loughborough today!!! So so happy haha.

I don't know how, since my predicted grades are only BCC, yet Kent want me to get ABB and Loughborough want me to get BBB... I'd like to think it was down to my amazing personal statement...

As much as I would love to go to Kent, I think I'm actually going to decline their offer, since I really don't think I could get ABB, whereas (at this moment in time) I'm thinking about firming Loughborough, since I've looked into it a lot more recently, the study abroad programme doesn't take up an extra year (however that does mean it's 6 months shorter :frown: ) but I think if I really work my arse off I could get BBB/ABC :smile:

Sorry for the massive wall of text this late at night - I'm just really happy. :smile:

Just waiting for Sheff Hallam to get back to me now, and they'll be my insurance. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Congrats on your offers :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by drowninginsound
Awesome, thanks, I'll try and find it tomorrow and give it a go when I'm more awake. :tongue:

Well done, you'll be a pro in no time! (So long as everything is in C#...) :biggrin:

Loving the Orange amp! :lol:
Got let off work an hour early :awesome:
Original post by MangoFreak
Got let off work an hour early :awesome:

that is the best feeling :biggrin: 1+ hour of sleep yaaasss
Original post by tara8000
that is the best feeling :biggrin: 1+ hour of sleep yaaasss

There was only two of us there today so our boss was like "let's just finish at 6 guys" :biggrin: I get paid by shift rather than per hour so I don't lose any money either.
Original post by MangoFreak
There was only two of us there today so our boss was like "let's just finish at 6 guys" :biggrin: I get paid by shift rather than per hour so I don't lose any money either.

noice :cool:

what sort of place is it where the number of staff and the hours are so subject to change? :eek:
Original post by tara8000
noice :cool:

what sort of place is it where the number of staff and the hours are so subject to change? :eek:

It's a small call centre that surveys home-owners about home improvement. I do three hours in the evening of whatever days I choose to work (I think it was just that there were only two of us today, so we left early), calling numbers and asking people what their windows are made of, whether they have gas heating, etc. The people that work full time then take our surveys and use them to try to book appointments with people to look into home improvement (conservatories, windows, etc.) with the main company we work for.

It's a very informal environment; we tell them at the start of the week what days we'll work that week and then we have to stick to that, but when I started you just showed up whenever you wanted to (that changed once only one person showed up on a Saturday). I've been there two weeks and have already experienced one change in management; a person who's worked there since May said she's seen 6 new managers :tongue: I think the manager that started a few days after me is looking to be the final one who actually makes the place work properly, but maybe they've all been like that; I wouldn't know :tongue:

I get quite fearful that I won't get enough surveys one day and get fired (the last manager didn't care about the numbers which is why he was moved to a different department - the new guy has been relaying the head office's different attempts at solid number targets; currently 7 per hour, last time I was there 20 in a shift, the time before that 25), so I just fake a load of surveys, which is quite easy and undetectable :mmm: If they do find out it won't be for months; the appointment bookers have months of backlogged surveys to go through.
Original post by Bude8
Enjoy it?

Was alright. Weirdly quiet for so close to Christmas and I have to get other people to log onto the tills for me so I feel a bit like I'm annoying people at the moment but it's not awful.
Original post by Bude8
Loving the Orange amp! :lol:

Awesome! Make sure it gets good use. :h:

(Sorry I didn't reply before, I've been in Norwich the past 2 days and have literally just got back.)

UEA is somewhat depressing in the rain. :lol:
Original post by Fuenciado
Congrats on your offers :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you! :biggrin:

(Sorry I didn't reply before, I've been in Norwich the past 2 days and have literally just got back.)

What do you think about the UEA? I think it's such a nice place - I'd definitely consider applying there if I didn't live in Norwich :frown:

I'm trying to be considerate because there are quite a few people on my other corridor, so I can't have it too loud :cry:

Video will be coming when I feel like I can play one bit really well :lol:

edit: got my first complaint for being too loud :cry:
(edited 9 years ago)
Hello,
I really don't get time to go on here anymore :frown:

But I thought I'd tell you.I've got an interview for medicine at Manchester :biggrin: :woo: :woo: :tongue:arty1:

Not my first choice but it's a good start :-)

Latest