The Student Room Group

If you're looking for a new mobile phone/tariff please look here first!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ZSHNZ
I've seen a 10 pounds a month offer which is attractive. 2GB of Internet, is the 4G included and what's it like on 3? My current o2 4g is good by the way.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Each network has a coverage map on their website, which lets you see how strong the signal is where you live - that's probably the best way of deciding which network is for you :smile:
Looking for 250-300ish minutes, 500+ texts and 500mb minimum data please, I've looked around on HUKD etc.

Would like it to be less than a tenner on sim only, or maybe 15-17 with a nice phone.

I can get NHS and student discount both
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by New Slaves
Looking for 250-300ish minutes, 500+ texts and 500mb minimum data please, I've looked around on HUKD etc.

Would like it to be less than a tenner on sim only, or maybe 15-17 with a nice phone.

I can get NHS and student discount both

Have a look at Three, either their pay monthly sim only deals or their pay as you go. I haven't seen any other network that comes close.
Reply 523
Anyone got a good deal with the Nexus 5?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am on giffgaff. cheap and cheerful

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think you got ripped off :redface:
If you have pay as you go, Carphone Warehouse does this upgrade thing, making phones cheaper to buy
If someone already had a pay as you go, and has topped up, etc basically what you can do is essentially you go to there website, check the number qualifies, they send you a code and you can buy a phone for cheaper. Then get a sim only contract, which today are pretty good.
Huawei Y550 for £50, im currently need another phone.
Can be a few quid.......though I just realised, CPW all of them are unlocked they just chuck in a sim card
Reply 528
So I'm buying a Oneplus One in a few weeks but I was wondering how 4g works? Currently I'm using a 3G Iphone 4 and it has a sim inside with unlimited data. Can I use this sim in my Oneplus One and will it be 4g or 3g. if i want 4g do I need a new sim and also I was wondering if there were any unlimited internet(only) pay as you go/top up deals which last a month etc?
Original post by AR_95
So I'm buying a Oneplus One in a few weeks but I was wondering how 4g works? Currently I'm using a 3G Iphone 4 and it has a sim inside with unlimited data. Can I use this sim in my Oneplus One and will it be 4g or 3g. if i want 4g do I need a new sim and also I was wondering if there were any unlimited internet(only) pay as you go/top up deals which last a month etc?

Does your existing plan include 4G speed or not? If so you could just move the card, if not then you'll need to change your plan. Three does unlimited data for £18 a month on a one month contract if that's the sort of thing you're looking for.
Reply 530
Original post by jameswhughes
Does your existing plan include 4G speed or not? If so you could just move the card, if not then you'll need to change your plan. Three does unlimited data for £18 a month on a one month contract if that's the sort of thing you're looking for.

Not looking for any contracts or plans. I just put an unused T mobile sim in my phone when I got it years ago before the EE switch. I use top up 5 pounds which you would use to get unlimited internet for a month. I did this for months but for the last year or so it's never expired so for some reason I've had unlimited internet for free? I don't know if it does/doesn't include 4G, it was just a booster.

£18 for unlim data if 4G i could work with. I don't have any credit rating though since I've only just opened my account 2 months ago??
Reply 531
you guys should get the oneplus one phone and get a sim only deal
Reply 532
Original post by sdotd
you guys should get the oneplus one phone and get a sim only deal

Sim only deal is ok but really I don't make calls/text at all.

I only use internet on my phone with whatsapp/Kik etc
I've had a Nokia Lumia 520 for the past year (got it for £68 on the Pay and Go, Go, Go tariff on O2, which is really good. My first smartphone incidentally), I noticed that the (more high spec) Nokia Lumias are on good offers (I imagine because Nokia is no more)I was wondering how easy it is to transfer the sim and all the data on my 520 (SMS, contacts, calendar data, photos, game data etc.). I wasn't considering another phone because I'd only had my 520 for a year but there are good offers on the 735 and even the 930 that it crossed my mind. I'd only really be getting it for the improved camera, increased RAM and Cortana though.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 534
How does buying the iphone 5 compare to the 4s and 5s? Does the fact its discontinued and they're still selling the 4s even though its older mean anything significant? As far as I can tell, the 5 is a good compromise - not much different to the 5s other than Apple ID yet newer hardware than the 4s and less likely to have its software updates pulled than the 4/4s. Anything I'm missing? Seen them refurbished form tesco/argos/very for £300.
Original post by nosaer
How does buying the iphone 5 compare to the 4s and 5s? Does the fact its discontinued and they're still selling the 4s even though its older mean anything significant? As far as I can tell, the 5 is a good compromise - not much different to the 5s other than Apple ID yet newer hardware than the 4s and less likely to have its software updates pulled than the 4/4s. Anything I'm missing? Seen them refurbished form tesco/argos/very for £300.

The 5 is still a reasonable phone, much better than the 4S, which is obsolete now - the few places still sell it are just clearing out their old stock. The 5s has a better processor and camera, and will likely be supported for a year longer as it came out a year later, but the 5 is still pretty good, and cheaper. You can get a used one for less than £300 if you want to save a bit more money.

One important thing is to note is that the 5 only supports 4G on EE and 3 in the UK, so if you're going with O2 or Vodafone get a 5c/5s/6 instead.
Reply 536
Vodafone have a sale with pay as you go phones. The HTC one m8 and Galaxy S5 are around 280/290 + a minimum 10 pound top up. That's probably the best price you'll find especially for a flagship top end phone.
Reply 537
Original post by jameswhughes
The 5 is still a reasonable phone, much better than the 4S, which is obsolete now - the few places still sell it are just clearing out their old stock. The 5s has a better processor and camera, and will likely be supported for a year longer as it came out a year later, but the 5 is still pretty good, and cheaper. You can get a used one for less than £300 if you want to save a bit more money.

One important thing is to note is that the 5 only supports 4G on EE and 3 in the UK, so if you're going with O2 or Vodafone get a 5c/5s/6 instead.

Yeah thanks. Luckily my sim only is with EE, just found out about the 4G thing today. I think the 5 is a reasonable compromise...would go for a used one but Im not sure about what it'll be like off eBay with no warranty/return option.

Original post by AR_95
Vodafone have a sale with pay as you go phones. The HTC one m8 and Galaxy S5 are around 280/290 + a minimum 10 pound top up. That's probably the best price you'll find especially for a flagship top end phone.

Can't find anything like that on their site. The S5 Mini on PAYG is 400.
Reply 538
Original post by nosaer
Yeah thanks. Luckily my sim only is with EE, just found out about the 4G thing today. I think the 5 is a reasonable compromise...would go for a used one but Im not sure about what it'll be like off eBay with no warranty/return option.

Can't find anything like that on their site. The S5 Mini on PAYG is 400.

The sale might be over but I literally just picked mine up last week

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is really a good idea! Thank you very much!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending