The Student Room Group

Will school inform parents about self harm scars?

I have burn marks all up my forearm and I don't know how I'm going to be able to hide them properly, I'm going to wear long sleeves but they could still be seen, if a teacher sees them are they under any obligation to report it? And do the school have to tell my parents?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by OhhNo
I have burn marks all up my forearm and I don't know how I'm going to be able to hide them properly, I'm going to wear long sleeves but they could still be seen, if a teacher sees them are they under any obligation to report it? And do the school have to tell my parents?

Posted from TSR Mobile

If a teacher cares enough, then they certainly will
Most probably, they have a duty of care. It would be careless of them not to and if things escalated they could be held partly responsible for not intervening. It's honestly the best thing for you though because you can get the help you need.
Original post by OhhNo

Posted from TSR Mobile

Your age might affect whether or not they will tell your parents. They would most probably tell them, however my school didn't tell my parents about me. Of course, you can always use things like make-up to try and hide the marks, however it might be for the better if your parents find out. Even though I still try my best to stop my parents from finding out anything is up with me, I sometimes wish that I had let my school tell them, so that I could get help. It's better if your school tells your parents rather than them seeing the scars without knowing beforehand or trying to tell them yourself in the future
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
Your age might affect whether or not they will tell your parents. They would most probably tell them, however my school didn't tell my parents about me. Of course, you can always use things like make-up to try and hide the marks, however it might be for the better if your parents find out. Even though I still try my best to stop my parents from finding out anything is up with me, I sometimes wish that I had let my school tell them, so that I could get help. It's better if your school tells your parents rather than them seeing the scars without knowing beforehand or trying to tell them yourself in the future

With the age thing, I'm 17 and in my last year of sixth form, so I'm not young, would they be less likely tell them?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
AFAIK, if you're not at risk of suicide/doing high-risk self harm (e.g. moderate drug misuse, severe burns) and are over 16, they should be bound by confidentiality.

Maybe that's only if you and them have discussed it formally though - I mean, how would they know you are not suicidal/doing extremely high risk self harm without talking to you?

Telling school and your parents about your self harm is the best way forward. Recovery is infinitely easier and longer-lasting if you have a good support network in your family and school life.
lol wouldn't be a big deal if they did anyway, my parents saw mine, had a go at me, then dropped it and have never mentioned it since.

Quick Reply

Latest