The Student Room Group

Oxford reject

My friend just told me his cousin applied for Oxford with all A* in GCSE(12) and 3 A* and one A in A level he applied for Medicine and in his A levels got
Biology- A*
Chemistry-A*
MathsA*
Physics-A
Is it really that hard to get into Oxford all A* and one A and they said his grades are not good enough! He's at a different uni now but Oxford should've accepted him with those grades, why didn't they?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by JohnLE
My friend just told me his cousin applied for Oxford with all A* in GCSE(12) and 3 A* and one A in A level he applied for Medicine and in his A levels got
Biology- A*
Chemistry-A*
MathsA*
Physics-A
Is it really that hard to get into Oxford all A* and one A and they said his grades are not good enough! He's at a different uni now but Oxford should've accepted him with those grades, why didn't they?

It's not all about grades; many people get those grades, but Oxford can't accommodate everybody that achieves A*A*A*A. Other factors come into play, such as extra curricular activities, work experience etc.
Reply 2
Original post by JohnLE
Biology- A*
Chemistry-A*
MathsA*
Physics-A
Is it really that hard to get I to Oxford all A* and one A and they said his grades are not good enough! He's at a different uni now but Oxford should've accepted him with those grades, why didn't they?

With Medicine, especially at Oxford, everyone applies with good grades. You need an extra dimension to you, something that doesn't just come from compulsively memorising your A level text books.

For Medicine, at interview, Oxford look for people who can think outside the box. They look for people who are flexible and adaptable, and who have an acceptable level of interpersonal skills.

They tend to ask you weird and wacky questions to try and get you to think, and maybe this method of filtering isn't really up his street.

His grades are cracking, but tbh, I know people with lower grades than that who are studying Med at Oxford.
Original post by JohnLE
Biology- A*
Chemistry-A*
MathsA*
Physics-A

There's a lot more to your academic ability than grades, unfortunately ):
Reply 4
Original post by Mr.Econometrics
It's not all about grades; many people get those grades, but Oxford can't accommodate everybody that achieves A*A*A*A. Other factors come into play, such as extra curricular activities, work experience etc.

Just asked my friend and he said his cousin had work experience at a hospital with medicine and professionals and his extra curricular activities were helping ima care home and sports clubs.
Reply 5
Thanks for the replies, does seem like you've got to have more than the grades!
As a hopeful medic, I see so many applicants with similar stats, great grades, great experience, great PS etc.

Pre-interview rejection - Probably BMAT
Post-interview rejection - Interview performance

Oxford is so competitive, they can genuinely pick whoever they want, getting into medicine is a big achievement anywhere :smile:
because it's medicine, not all about grades

his grades are awesome but to oxford, they're pretty standard, good to get an interview but to get an offer, would need to do more than that
oh and bmat

everyone who applies has experience in care whatever big deal
Reply 8
The difference between an A and an A* is the difference between having good revision notes, or not having a cold during the exam, or having just read the notes required for a particular question 5 minutes before the exam.

Oxbridge want students that are academically excellent, but you're going to need more than a string of A*'s to get in. Signs of dedication to the subject and relevant experience that goes outside A-Level study is what comes into play at that point.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending