The Student Room Group

Personal Statement for applying to Colleges & Sixth-forms

Hi i need to write a personal statement before the Christmas holidays begin and im stuck i do not know what structure literally i do not know what to write & how please help me. The websites i look at online are all for university so im not sure. Thanks :biggrin:
Hiya, I've been doing my personal statement for sixth form this week :smile:. Do you just have to write a personal statement or is there another space for qualifications, hobbies e.t.c. (this was how mine was structured).

A personal statement for Sixth form/college is a written summary of your personality, school and extra curricular achievements.
If it's just a PS I would:
Include your main hobbies and extra curricular activities, what skills you have gained and what it shows about your personality. Include any qualifications such as music grades, sports awards e.t.c
Any qualifications, volunteering, jobs you have + skills + personality.
A summary of your school achievements and what they show.
What your aspirations are for the future and why you have decided to apply for that college.
Try and make it short but engaging so they can get a real snapshot of what you're like as a person- you're showcasing yourself, so only pick out the main points.

If you need any more help just ask :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by VioletPhillippo
Hiya, I've been doing my personal statement for sixth form this week :smile:. Do you just have to write a personal statement or is there another space for qualifications, hobbies e.t.c. (this was how mine was structured).

A personal statement for Sixth form/college is a written summary of your personality, school and extra curricular achievements.
If it's just a PS I would:
Include your main hobbies and extra curricular activities, what skills you have gained and what it shows about your personality. Include any qualifications such as music grades, sports awards e.t.c
Any qualifications, volunteering, jobs you have + skills + personality.
A summary of your school achievements and what they show.
What your aspirations are for the future and why you have decided to apply for that college.
Try and make it short but engaging so they can get a real snapshot of what you're like as a person- you're showcasing yourself, so only pick out the main points.

If you need any more help just ask :smile:

Hi thanks a lot for your help , i've written my personal statement but i still haven't added work experience since im on work experience right now however i've already written 800 words and i know i've done it well its just im still not sure how long should it be do i need to cut things (im not good at doing that) i do go a bit overboard so any suggestions for this, thanks again :smile:
Original post by Cinna21
Hi thanks a lot for your help , i've written my personal statement but i still haven't added work experience since im on work experience right now however i've already written 800 words and i know i've done it well its just im still not sure how long should it be do i need to cut things (im not good at doing that) i do go a bit overboard so any suggestions for this, thanks again :smile:

No that sounds absolutely fine but I wouldn't make it any longer. If you are going to cut anything out cut things that have repeated skills such as if you've already mentioned you're a good team worker just leave it as one example. Also cut anything that doesn't show anything particular about yourself stick to the main points and be brief. Try the PEE paragraph structure (point, evidence, explain).Remember you are showcasing the best of yourself rather than writing everything about yourself (I'm awful at cutting down too) :smile:
Reply 4
Haha i know i throw a tantrum inside of me when cutting things down but thanks for this im going to check through it tomorrow to see if im showcasing the best of myself rather than writing about myself i think that will help me cut a bit but i will have to do some cutting though i still need to add work experience. Thanks for the help
Reply 5
Original post by VioletPhillippo
No that sounds absolutely fine but I wouldn't make it any longer. If you are going to cut anything out cut things that have repeated skills such as if you've already mentioned you're a good team worker just leave it as one example. Also cut anything that doesn't show anything particular about yourself stick to the main points and be brief. Try the PEE paragraph structure (point, evidence, explain).Remember you are showcasing the best of yourself rather than writing everything about yourself (I'm awful at cutting down too) :smile:

Hi sorry to bother you again but do you have any suggestions on what i could write for work experience ? thanks :smile:
Original post by Cinna21
Hi sorry to bother you again but do you have any suggestions on what i could write for work experience ? thanks :smile:

No don't worry, sorry I've taken ages to reply. If you haven't done it already, I would say what you did for your work experience and the most valuable skills you learnt from it and perhaps how it might help you in the future :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest