The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by _Totoro_
Hello. I am too :smile: we're getting married on 15th August 2015. We've already got the venue and registrar booked and I've got my dress, so not feeling too stressed atm. The thing I'm slightly worried about is that we'll be living miles away from our venue during my pgce year (we're getting married in Norfolk and we'll be living in Leeds) so it might be a bit difficult to sort certain things out. I'm planning on doing a fair bit over Christmas though.

Oh wow! I am so pleased there is so many of us! We are getting married on the 8th August! Lots of August Saturday weddings! I'm sure the venue will be understanding and hopefully try and fit you in when you are free. Yes Christmas is probably a good time to do a fair bit due to the fact it will only be 8 months left! Exciting.... :smile:
Original post by cutebat
haha what have we let ourselves in for? I am the other member planning a wedding also for August 2015! I think we're going to need a honeymoon! :smile:

Lol I know! At least we know it's not only us! We are definitely going to need a honeymoon as we come back and start our NQT year... we are bonkers! xx
Original post by womanonamission
Hi there!

Thank you so much for the advice. My mum and mother in law are constantly telling me they are there if I need them and I am slowly realising that I am infact, going to have to delegate! We are looking to come back from our honeymoon approx 27th August. So I should have approx 1 week before I start my NQT year - I so hope that's enough time.
I am quite an organised person so hopefully that will benefit me in this situation.

How is married life treating you?? :smile:

Original post by cutebat
Congratulations on getting married! Thanks for the advice! Getting very excited about this whole year! xx

Married life is not to different to before but great, and the wedding was lovely. Getting my photos this week, so excited!

I found delegating hard too as I wanted to organise everything, but I did things like "I need disposable cameras, can you find the best deal?". My friend is in a job where she can look stuff up in work (if only!) So she did stuff for me then. I also let her sort the whole hen do and coordinate hotel guests.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey guys,
One of my friends is thinking of becoming a drama teacher and will be starting her undergraduate drama degree in September 2015 hopefully. She doesn't have an account on here, so I thought I'd better ask for her. Is there anything she can do/should do to put on her application which will make her a strong candidate? Its a long while yet until she applies for her PGCE however, its never too early to start thinking about it.

She already has experience volunteering in a Learning Disability Unit for a year, however, this was when she was in year 9 so it may not be valid to put on any more. She also has experience helping out or coaching at her local drama group? Any help would really be gratefully appreciated.
Thank You :smile:
Original post by LouieSax
Hey guys,
One of my friends is thinking of becoming a drama teacher and will be starting her undergraduate drama degree in September 2015 hopefully. She doesn't have an account on here, so I thought I'd better ask for her. Is there anything she can do/should do to put on her application which will make her a strong candidate? Its a long while yet until she applies for her PGCE however, its never too early to start thinking about it.

She already has experience volunteering in a Learning Disability Unit for a year, however, this was when she was in year 9 so it may not be valid to put on any more. She also has experience helping out or coaching at her local drama group? Any help would really be gratefully appreciated.
Thank You :smile:

Just get experience in a variety of schools to show she has checked that's what she wants to do, keep up to date with education policy and make sure she does well in her degree!

They are most concerned about the individual, their maturity level and whether they are ready and open to becoming a great teacher.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi guys
Wana apply for to do a secondary maths pgce next year, so starting to get experience now. Just wondered if anybody had any advice on how to make the most of time spent in schools? I'm half way through a week at my first school and I'm just observing lessons, making notes on teaching styles and methods and then helping the kids when they're doing exercises. Is there anything else I should do so when it comes to applications and interviews I'm able to use the experience to the best of my advantage? Or any questions I should be asking staff?

Thanks
Original post by charleybeth
Hi guys
Wana apply for to do a secondary maths pgce next year, so starting to get experience now. Just wondered if anybody had any advice on how to make the most of time spent in schools? I'm half way through a week at my first school and I'm just observing lessons, making notes on teaching styles and methods and then helping the kids when they're doing exercises. Is there anything else I should do so when it comes to applications and interviews I'm able to use the experience to the best of my advantage? Or any questions I should be asking staff?

Thanks

What you're doing sounds good. I'd say just ask about things you're interested in! Some things you might want to find out about are:

-Behaviour management - general, and dealing with particularly tough children
-Differentiation - how is the lesson tailored to different levels?
-Planning - how do they plan what to do? Ask to look at some plans. How do they choose topics?
-ICT - how do they use it to enhance teaching and learning (this is often a hot topic in interviews etc for some reason!)

You could also ask things like what do they enjoy most.

You could draw plans of the rooms, make notes about displays and resources used.

You could ask to speak to a couple of pupils where they can talk you through their books and tell you about their learning this year (this can be really interesting! Great to get a child's view overview).

You could 'shadow' a pupil for a day.

If you're confident, depending on the context, you could ask to lead something like a game, but don't feel you NEED to do this at all at this point! Just if you want to.

xxx
For the personal statement and the work experience statement, from what I understand they are 4000 characters and 1600 characters respectively. Does that include spaces?
Original post by Scienceofficer_1
For the personal statement and the work experience statement, from what I understand they are 4000 characters and 1600 characters respectively. Does that include spaces?

A space does not count as a word. Hope that helps.
Original post by womanonamission
A space does not count as a word. Hope that helps.

No, but they count as a character, which is what they were asking!

Original post by Scienceofficer_1

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jeffercake
No, but they count as a character, which is what they were asking!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok sorry.....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6131
I'm just wondering if anyone can help me, I did not obtain a place in apply one because SHU missed the deadline to reply to my offer. However they later contacted me and said they were offering me a place, which is fantastic and I have now selected SHU as my firm choice. However, in the time between the deadline for SHU and receiving my offer I applied to the Edge Hill PGCE and have now been offered an interview. Does anyone know if I can still attend the interview and if I was successful, change my mind at this stage after replying to SHU as my firm choice? I'm not sure how this works in apply two.
(edited 9 years ago)
Has anyone done an SKE online?

Did your provider frown upon it being online rather than face2face?

Please PM me if you can :smile:

Thhanks
Hi, I have an interview at Skipton and was wondering if you could give any advice for the interview process.

Latest

Trending

Trending