The Student Room Group

Maths GCSE - Few Questions Related to Additional Maths

Hello guys, my name is Chittesh. I'm going to do GCSE Mathematics in Year 10, 1 year earlier than my whole year group. Therefore, if i get A*, my school says, most likely I'll be taught Additional Mathematics. Now, I've heard Additional Mathematics is harder than GCSE Mathematics, but easier than AS Level Mathematics. It also has a few modules from AS Level Mathematics? Also, just wondering, if i get to do Additional Mathematics in Year 11, will i also take the exam for Additional Mathematics at the end of Year 11, when my whole year group will take GCSE Maths?
Reply 1
Original post by Chittesh14
if i get to do Additional Mathematics in Year 11, will i also take the exam for Additional Mathematics at the end of Year 11, when my whole year group will take GCSE Maths?

It depends on what you want to do and what they enter you for you could just study the work but not take the exam.
Reply 2
Original post by Compost
It depends on what you want to do and what they enter you for you could just study the work but not take the exam.

But, whats the point of learning Additional Mathematics for a whole year, other than general mathematical knowledge, but not taking the exam, or even attempting it. Also, if I somehow do take the exam, and get an A* in it, or an A grade. Will it boost my CV as i took GCSE maths 1 year early got A* and also got A/A* in additional maths.
Not sure, but apparently it can :biggrin:.
Reply 3
But, whats the point of learning Additional Mathematics for a whole year, other than general mathematical knowledge, but not taking the exam, or even attempting it. Also, if I somehow do take the exam, and get an A* in it, or an A grade. Will it boost my CV as i took GCSE maths 1 year early got A* and also got A/A* in additional maths.
Not sure, but apparently it can :biggrin:.

It's up to you.

Incidentally, you can't get an A* in Add maths, A is the highest grade. Doing the work is good prep for A level, but ultimately it will be your A levels that count, not what you did when at GCSE.
Reply 4
Original post by Compost
It's up to you.

Incidentally, you can't get an A* in Add maths, A is the highest grade. Doing the work is good prep for A level, but ultimately it will be your A levels that count, not what you did when at GCSE.

Yeah buddy, I know that, but in your personal statement, even slight boosts will help, they look at your GCSE Grades, A Level Grades, AS Level Grades everything. Yeh, agreed it won't make a difference much when Universities look at it, job-searchers look at it in a different style. But, universities will appreciate the fact that you got a chance to do additional maths and got a good grade etc, and that you took part in senior maths challenge and got a bronze or w/e in it. That's what I meant. But, thanks for telling me :biggrin: that max grade is an A. I actually want to do add maths now lol
Reply 5
I did my GCSE Maths last year (year 10) and got my A* just like you are doing.

We have been doing additional maths and to answer your question, yes, you do an exam in additional maths whilst the rest of the year do their GCSE Maths.

In fact, I have my mock additional maths exam in 2 days whilst the rest of the year have their GCSE mock.

A is the highest grade you can get in Additional Maths and it will be on your CV as a separate qualification, it's like taking an extra GCSE pretty much so yes, it will look good on your CV, and it is also a good idea to consider A level maths seeing as though Additional maths is half of the AS level course
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by aadil10
I did my GCSE Maths last year (year 10) and got my A* just like you are doing.

We have been doing additional maths and to answer your question, yes, you do an exam in additional maths whilst the rest of the year do their GCSE Maths.

In fact, I have my mock additional maths exam in 2 days whilst the rest of the year have their GCSE mock.

A is the highest grade you can get in Additional Maths and it will be on your CV as a separate qualification, it's like taking an extra GCSE pretty much so yes, it will look good on your CV, and it is also a good idea to consider A level maths seeing as though Additional maths is half of the AS level course

Thanks bro I asked my brother he has got a degree in financial maths and he said yeah it's a lot of as level so I was happy 😺 but trying to get A* in gcse maths for now

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Thanks bro I asked my brother he has got a degree in financial maths and he said yeah it's a lot of as level so I was happy ������ but trying to get A* in gcse maths for now

Posted from TSR Mobile

No problem, good luck with your exams!
Reply 8
Original post by aadil10
No problem, good luck with your exams!

Thanks 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest