The Student Room Group

Civil service fast stream 2014/2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by birdman55
Yeah the written part is competency marked and considered at the end but I believe (hope) the majority of your performance will be based on the FSAC performance results. The E-Tray success was solely based on the multi-choice questions.

I live in Scotland and do not normally travel during peak conditions, I am as much worried about navigating my way there on time! I hope my hotel offers breakfast served with an espresso at 6.30am...

It's not really about it making up a majority (or minority) of your score, it will be marked to assess how you score against the different assessed competencies. There should be more than one opportunity to demonstrate each competency when you include the FSAC, so the written exercise could make up for weakness in performance on the day, or vice versa.

I travelled from Edinburgh to do my FSAC last year (I was also down for a training course beforehand). I didn't want to trust my arrival to public transport so I walked from my hotel in Bloomsbury (about 25 minutes). It's best to check your options with an online tool such as googlemaps or citymapper (on smartphones). Do bear in mind the weather report, though, and try not to get splashed by a passing vehicle if it's raining!
Original post by GManTheGMan
It's not really about it making up a majority (or minority) of your score, it will be marked to assess how you score against the different assessed competencies. There should be more than one opportunity to demonstrate each competency when you include the FSAC, so the written exercise could make up for weakness in performance on the day, or vice versa.

I travelled from Edinburgh to do my FSAC last year (I was also down for a training course beforehand). I didn't want to trust my arrival to public transport so I walked from my hotel in Bloomsbury (about 25 minutes). It's best to check your options with an online tool such as googlemaps or citymapper (on smartphones). Do bear in mind the weather report, though, and try not to get splashed by a passing vehicle if it's raining!

You've probably already answered this so sorry, but were you successful last year ?

Ahh right. I thought they would mark your score out of 4 for the competency on each task and allign it with a percentage towards your overall score. Does that mean you could theoretically fail to meet a specific competency on one task and make amends for it on the next, as long as you meet each full competency at some point?

Some good points! Knowing my luck, it would be me walking into greet the assessor looking like I have just left the Celebrity Jungle. I have around an hours walk which I think is a bit too long, would I be better to get a taxi or the tube? (From the other side of Hyde Park, 2-3 miles) Also, would I need to book a taxi in advance, are they reliable?
Original post by ryan_ni
Just heard 2015 NI scheme is being withdrawn due to public sector cuts in Northern Ireland. Absolutely devastated, I will await confirmation from parity though

Holy moly does that mean they're not taking any grads in NI? Hopefully they'll transfer your application to another stream if you're happy to apply for an alternative
Original post by Tas321
You've probably already answered this so sorry, but were you successful last year ?

Yes, I'm on the DaT scheme. I've been paying attention to this thread, as I came onto the studentroom quite late in the process last year (just before my FSB), and from a personal point of view, I'd just like to see that people have equal opportunity, and aren't being confused by conflicting advice.

Ahh right. I thought they would mark your score out of 4 for the competency on each task and allign it with a percentage towards your overall score. Does that mean you could theoretically fail to meet a specific competency on one task and make amends for it on the next, as long as you meet each full competency at some point?

That's my understanding, yes. My final report addressed my score competency by competency. They are looking for evidence that you can demonstrate the competencies, so failing to do so adequately in one opportunity can be made up for in another. And each exercise will likely test multiple competencies as well.

Some good points! Knowing my luck, it would be me walking into greet the assessor looking like I have just left the Celebrity Jungle. I have around an hours walk which I think is a bit too long, would I be better to get a taxi or the tube? (From the other side of Hyde Park, 2-3 miles) Also, would I need to book a taxi in advance, are they reliable?

Personally, I would take the tube. I'd probably aim to arrive 15 to 30 minutes before the start, in case of any traffic emergencies. You can always have a nice wander around Westminster if you're a bit early.
Just to let anyone in the same boat as me know: I sat my FSAC on the 2nd and am still faced with the "awaiting event" status. After getting far too impatient I emailed Parity to see whether I was amber banded. The answer was no, they're still waiting to receive the results.

The wait continues!
Yes, I'm on the DaT scheme. I've been paying attention to this thread, as I came onto the studentroom quite late in the process last year (just before my FSB), and from a personal point of view, I'd just like to see that people have equal opportunity, and aren't being confused by conflicting advice.

Oh wow how are you finding it. And Thankyou that's really nice of you to do.

Would they expect me to have an Indepth knowledge of each of the departments? And how much commercial awareness would I be expected to have in general? Or would you say the interview is more focused on my experiences?

I always worry about those sort of questions.
It's great. I won't go into too many details, as I'd rather keep this profile relatively anonymous, but I will be likely be moderating the FB page at some point, so I (and any of my colleagues) would be happy to answer any on-the-job questions there.

Re the interviews, I don't have any insight into what questions will be asked, or even a very clear memory of what I was asked... I would not expect you to need to have in depth knowledge of the departments, it's always possible that there will be different departments when you start! I'd say it would be good to have a good awareness of departments, what interests you and why. If you are successful in getting into the generalist scheme, you're going to be working in at least 4 different departments, possibly including ones you'd never considered or been particularly relishing. It would be good to consider how you'd approach this, and what your attitude to this would be.

Commercial awareness would definitely be good to have. Think about what pressures would affect any business decisions that the government might have to make.

I've not got this year's FSAC guide to hand, but I'd suggest going through it and thinking of them both from the point of view of what you've done in the past that demonstrates them, and how you would demonstrate them if you were carrying out a task right now. Interviews will have a bit of both in them, but group and written exercise are going to be more about showing that awareness when you are tackling a problem, or making a point.
GManTheGMan: thank you that's super helpful!
Original post by ParetoOptimum
Holy moly does that mean they're not taking any grads in NI? Hopefully they'll transfer your application to another stream if you're happy to apply for an alternative

How do you know? I know at this stage they said that they will produce a merit list For successful candidates but how do you know it has now been totally withdrawn??
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Gizmo17
How do you know? I know at this stage they said that they will produce a merit list For successful candidates but how do you know it has now been totally withdrawn??

What do you mean a merit list?
Reply 1351
Original post by ProbablyNoGod
Just to let anyone in the same boat as me know: I sat my FSAC on the 2nd and am still faced with the "awaiting event" status. After getting far too impatient I emailed Parity to see whether I was amber banded. The answer was no, they're still waiting to receive the results.

The wait continues!

This wait is just so far from ideal, ah well saves me from emailing!
Putting successful people in merit order so as a place opens up they can be placed... Therefore may not placed all 13 (which I think was the intake last year) at the same time... Although again that's just something a friend mentioned to me (she recently say an NICS board)... Where did you hear it had been totally withdrawn? I only finished my etray last night so would be quite gutted if it was totally pulled 😣
Original post by Gizmo17
Putting successful people in merit order so as a place opens up they can be placed... Therefore may not placed all 13 (which I think was the intake last year) at the same time... Although again that's just something a friend mentioned to me (she recently say an NICS board)... Where did you hear it had been totally withdrawn? I only finished my etray last night so would be quite gutted if it was totally pulled 😣

Ah right I see what you mean. I just heard they are withdrawing for Sept 2015. But I suppose that does not stop them keeping a list for say Jan 2016 or Sept 2016.
How long did it take you after etray to get your results?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Two working days I think. If you haven't heard after that, I would take it you are in the Amber Band Category
Cheers! And good luck at FSAC 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've asked for some clarification on the NI queries. I've not heard anything yet.
Anyone got their assessment centre on the 5th feb? :smile:
Original post by Copycats&Acrobats
Anyone got their assessment centre on the 5th feb? :smile:

Yep, I do :hello: What stream have you applied for?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending