The Student Room Group

Official Vacation Scheme Thread 2015!!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 520
Hello! I have a 2.1 overall for my undergrad and a high merit for my masters (both at LSE) and a lot of professional experience in Finance. I am applying to a mix of vacation scheme / training contract. In my undergrad I had a 2.2 in one module every year, but a 2.1 overall for each year. Is that really bad?
Original post by boing36
Congrats! Can I ask when you applied? I am waiting to hear from them (applied 2nd dec) - they are one of my favourites!

Thank you! :smile: can't remember the exact date off the top of my head but was quite a while again, say 2 months? Although my referee did take 3 weeks to complete the reference, and they got in touch only a couple of days after that. Good luck!

Original post by mcrlawstudent
Congratulations! :smile:

Which scheme are you applying for?

I'm on the 20 July - 31 July one.

When is your interview?

I wouldn't worry about it, the two partners who interviewed me were very friendly.

Let me know how it goes!

Thank you also! :smile: haven't yet been given the opportunity to indicate which dates I prefer, but I think I'd want the latter ones, same as you.

22nd January. Ah fabulous! :smile: do you have any general tips for it, and roughly how quickly did they get back to you?

Thanks again, will do!!:smile:
Reply 522
Original post by J-SP
You have to pick something you are interested in. Don't pick something to try and impress the reader or to be quirky. You have to remember if you get through to interview, undoubtedly you will be asked about your reasons for selecting it and providing your own analysis and opinions on the matter.

People pick the same topics mainly because they think it's impressive but they can't really back it up with any real opinion on the matter.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's really helpful - thank you :smile:
Anyone think Hogan Lovells questions are a bit random?
Original post by mrlufc3131

Thank you also! :smile: haven't yet been given the opportunity to indicate which dates I prefer, but I think I'd want the latter ones, same as you.

22nd January. Ah fabulous! :smile: do you have any general tips for it, and roughly how quickly did they get back to you?

Thanks again, will do!!:smile:

I thought you had to select the dates when you submitted the application.

One thing I would note (be cautious, not all interviewers are the same) is that I didn't get any competency questions at all. It was more skewed towards my application form and why I would be a good fit for Jones Day. So, there was a lot of questions about why I liked the non-rotational system, what I liked about their international outlook etc. and I also got a lot of commercial questions, e.g. what do I think about us leaving the EU, what I think the outcome of the next general election will be and so on.

I'd say just have a good knowledge of what is going on in the world.

They got back to me after four days so not long at all!
Need some advice guys - suppose I did a first-year programme with Firm X, and now I'm applying for a summer vacation scheme with them. But on Firm X's application form for the vac scheme, the questions are identical to those that I answered when applying for the first-year programme. Should I use completely different answers?
Original post by Kidioteque
Need some advice guys - suppose I did a first-year programme with Firm X, and now I'm applying for a summer vacation scheme with them. But on Firm X's application form for the vac scheme, the questions are identical to those that I answered when applying for the first-year programme. Should I use completely different answers?

I wouldn't use the same answers. Change the old ones if you can. They will have your old answers on file and will want to see if you have developed since then.
Original post by meep_meep
I wouldn't use the same answers. Change the old ones if you can. They will have your old answers on file and will want to see if you have developed since then.

Good point - cheers!
Interview at Freshfields! Anybody who has already interviewed got any hints?
Interview at Freshfields! Anybody who has already interviewed got any hints?

Congrats! No hints I'm afraid; might I ask when you sent off your application/did the test? :smile:
Congrats! No hints I'm afraid; might I ask when you sent off your application/did the test? :smile:

Hey, congrats! I also have an interview there :smile:

To answer your question Kidioteque, I sent my application off on Sunday 7th Dec and took the test on the same day. Received interview invite today.
Original post by legallife
To answer your question Kidioteque, I sent my application off on Sunday 7th Dec and took the test on the same day. Received interview invite today.

Congratulations/good luck/thank you! :lol:
Covington and Burling's application process is something else..

Submitted 3rd December, completed the test on 7th December, invited to interview today. :smile:
Submitted 3rd December, completed the test on 7th December, invited to interview today. :smile:

Thank you very much! Good luck :smile:
I thought you had to select the dates when you submitted the application.

One thing I would note (be cautious, not all interviewers are the same) is that I didn't get any competency questions at all. It was more skewed towards my application form and why I would be a good fit for Jones Day. So, there was a lot of questions about why I liked the non-rotational system, what I liked about their international outlook etc. and I also got a lot of commercial questions, e.g. what do I think about us leaving the EU, what I think the outcome of the next general election will be and so on.

I'd say just have a good knowledge of what is going on in the world.

They got back to me after four days so not long at all!

Looking over my app I don't seem to have indicated a preference within Summer, so if I did indicate a preference, I can't recall it :frown:

That's really useful stuff, thank you! I'll swot up on current affairs.

Great :biggrin:

Also, as for your post about Freshfields, the first interview is very much about you, with pretty minimal reference to the application itself - mine was very conversational and flowing - the crucial advice I'd give would be just to be calm. The second one is about an article - make sure you are prepared to summarise it and compare it to similar scenarios. Make sure you can qualify anything you say. As for the written exercise, be brief and accurate and you should be fine :smile: congratulations and good luck!
Looking over my app I don't seem to have indicated a preference within Summer, so if I did indicate a preference, I can't recall it :frown:

That's really useful stuff, thank you! I'll swot up on current affairs.

Great :biggrin:

Also, as for your post about Freshfields, the first interview is very much about you, with pretty minimal reference to the application itself - mine was very conversational and flowing - the crucial advice I'd give would be just to be calm. The second one is about an article - make sure you are prepared to summarise it and compare it to similar scenarios. Make sure you can qualify anything you say. As for the written exercise, be brief and accurate and you should be fine :smile: congratulations and good luck!

No problem and thank you too! My interview is on 28 January so hopefully we will both have some good news in early February. :tongue:

Referring back to your earlier post, I'm also applying for the August scheme at Freshfields, so we could potentially end up on two of the same schemes!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 537
No takers for the new Apprenticeship scheme? :biggrin:
No problem and thank you too! My interview is on 28 January so hopefully we will both have some good news in early February. :tongue:

Referring back to your earlier post, I'm also applying for the August scheme at Freshfields, so we could potentially end up on two of the same schemes!

Let's hope so! Where else have you applied?

Ah excellent, haha what're the chances!? :biggrin:
Let's hope so! Where else have you applied?

Ah excellent, haha what're the chances!? :biggrin:

I'm mixing it up slightly! Other than the ones already mentioned, I've done CC, A&O, Slaughter, Norton Rose Fulbright, Cleary, Latham, Weil and Skadden. I'll be doing Clyde & Co too then that's it probably. Considering Herbies but I'm constrained by time with January exams and their huge amount of online testing puts me off.

What about you?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending