The Student Room Group

Sould Sharia law be tolerated in the UK??

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by Ravenous
Most of those wannabe gangsters aren't really that religious, although they might be proud of and emphasise their Muslim identity, they don't actually practise the religion that well. If you go to heavily populated Sikh areas (like Southall) there are lots of them there like that as well.

They're contributing to the already bad image of Islam. :angry:
Yes.

We're a tolerant multicultural society founded on human rights and equality.
Reply 102
Original post by Wade-
Haha yeah that's completely fair;

'She becomes under the care of her own mahram men such as brothers, ubcles and fathers' - because of course women can't take care of themselves

'This is because in Islam the nikah (marriage) is a contract whereby a man provides for the wife and in return she and him can have physical relations, raise children etc.' - also completely fair, let's forever pigeonhole people into traditional gender roles.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you answering something or pasting what I wrote?:wink:

Secondly Islam ensures that a women is never without a guardian where before a marriage or after divorce. The women are well protected. And there's no need for alimony which is not fair at all, leaving men deprived of their own wealth.

Can we all agree no islamic shariah laws in UK but Islamic divorce laws over british divorce laws?
No. Why is this still a topic?
Reply 104
Original post by democracyforum
Yes.

We're a tolerant multicultural society founded on human rights and equality.

Do you think we should have Islamic divorce laws or we should carry on using the British ones?
Richard Dawkins put forward an interesting hypothesis about the whole "church and state" idea; in places like England, where the Church is, and always was, adjoined to the state (in some way or another), there are less religious people (<15% as of a 2007 Pew survey) because people "grew bored" of religion. Conversely, in a place like America, where church and state have always been seperate, as written in the constitution, the large majority of the population are religious (>80% as of the aforementioned survey) because there are mutliple, new, "exciting" disciplines and faiths and churches.
Reply 106
Original post by -Native Briton-
NO, Sharia law is vastly inferior to British law !

Not when it comes to divorce :wink: British Divorce laws are tantamount to theft and robbery.
And in answer to the question, No.

Just like all other religious ideas, there is no unopposable evidence for Sharia law being a necessary way of life for humans - belief in a religious view requires faith.

If there's a chance that Sharia law is wrong, implementing it would mean that you are changing a good judicial system to something which would be rightly frowned upon by the majority (95%) of the UK population, who aren't Muslim. There are also some aspects of the system that some may question, such as execution.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by ubi1

Secondly Islam ensures that a women is never without a guardian where before a marriage or after divorce. The women are well protected. And there's no need for alimony which is not fair at all, leaving men deprived of their own wealth.

Can we all agree no islamic shariah laws in UK but Islamic divorce laws over british divorce laws?

Absolutely not

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 109
Original post by miscounted_time

So your saying we should carry on using British divorce laws over Islamic?:rolleyes:
Original post by ubi1

Are you freaking kidding me?! I'm a grown woman, I don't need a "guardian"! In fact I earn more than my husband, and have more " wealth", and was perfectly self sufficient before he came along, and would continue to be if we ever divorced. The misogyny in Islam is sickening, and has no place in a secular, progressive 21st century society. Shariah law in the UK? Over my dead body :mad:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 111
Original post by tumshie
Are you freaking kidding me?! I'm a grown woman, I don't need a "guardian"! In fact I earn more than my husband, and have more " wealth", and was perfectly self sufficient before he came along, and would continue to be if we ever divorced. The misogyny in Islam is sickening, and has no place in a secular, progressive 21st century society. Shariah law in the UK? Over my dead body :mad:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I said we can all agree no shariah laws but what about shairah divorce laws over British ones, that was the question.

As for Guardian it's for your protection how naive of you do you not think a woman alone is not vulnerable, you may live self sufficiently but when your all alone in the dark hours of the night do you think that self sufficiency is going to help you?:rolleyes:

There is no misogyny is Islam? Care to indicate it .....
Original post by ubi1
So your saying we should carry on using British divorce laws over Islamic?:rolleyes:

Yes, although the British system isn't 100% perfect and in a minority of cases doesn't necessarily result in the most just outcome, I do believe it's the better system.

You seem to be under the impression that under British law following a divorce, a man by default is expected to pay for the females upkeep the rest of his/her life when this is simply not the case.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 113
Original post by miscounted_time
Yes, although the British system isn't 100% perfect and in some cases doesn't necessarily result in the most just outcome (but this is a minority of cases) I do believe it's the better system.

You seem to be under the impression that under British law following a divorce a man, by default is expected to pay for the females upkeep the rest of his/her life when this is simply not the case.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It never results in a just outcome, did you know 70-80% divorces are initiated by women, change it shariah divorce laws and divorce rates will drop and marriage rates will increase and nobody can be a gold digger. Islamic laws prevent Gold diggers from taking your money.
Reply 114
Original post by ubi1

No I don't agree at all, Islamic divorce law (from how you've described it) is very degrading toward women.

You said women need guardians and that a marriage is simply a contract where a man promises to provide the money and women raises children and has sex whenever the man wants. I don't think you realise how backward you sound, people like you are the reason that feminists exist

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 115
Original post by Wade-
No I don't agree at all, Islamic divorce law (from how you've described it) is very degrading toward women.

You said women need guardians and that a marriage is simply a contract where a man promises to provide the money and women raises children and has sex whenever the man wants. I don't think you realise how backward you sound, people like you are the reason that feminists exist

Posted from TSR Mobile

People like are the reason why MGTOW exists
Reply 116
Answering the question shariah law cannot be implemented in the UK because, although it is a very good law ( in decreases crime rates: look at Saudi) it cannot be used in the Uk as the citizens cannot see the benefit it will bring. And this is because that some muslims already make Islam look bad, people do not look at muslims the right way because of those who are not on the right path and so they cannot see the real beauty of Islam. Making the law in Uk to Shariah law would jut be waste because no one can really see the aim of it, they will think jus as many look at islam as 'bad'. Maybe if the muslims in the Uk could change and show the non muslims the beauty and peacefulness of islam slowly bringing about shariah law would work but at this moment and time it would jus be useless and make muslims look bad.
Original post by ubi1
I said we can all agree no shariah laws but what about shairah divorce laws over British ones, that was the question.

As for Guardian it's for your protection how naive of you do you not think a woman alone is not vulnerable, you may live self sufficiently but when your all alone in the dark hours of the night do you think that self sufficiency is going to help you?:rolleyes:

There is no misogyny is Islam? Care to indicate it .....

How naive of you to think that a man alone is not vulnerable in "the dark hours of the night". Don't patronise me, I have lived, and I know not to put myself into dangerous situations, I don't need or want a man to protect me, who says he'd be able to anyway?!
And no misogyny in Islam?! Please, its is patriarchal, sexist, and misogynistic at its core. Men are a degree above women, a women's testimony in court is not worth the same as a man's, men get twice the inheritance of a woman, men are allowed to hit women, women have to cover themselves, and have to pray separately to men, I could go on

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ubi1
Do you think we should have Islamic divorce laws or we should carry on using the British ones?

Yes.

Because we're a tolerant multicultural society founded on human rights and equality.
Original post by democracyforum
Yes.

Because we're a tolerant multicultural society founded on human rights and equality.

Islam was not founded on tolerance and equality. So why does People who practice this religion deserve our tolerance ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending