The Student Room Group

Yet another black male killed in Ferguson.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-30596531

Black youth Antonio Martin (18 y/o) is gunned down by a police officer.

According to French news, a gun was found close by to the petrol station where the shooting occurred.

Anyone seeing the irony?

Black male is 'lawfully' shot, is armed, yet the community is in uproar.

Obviously it's a horrible event, but if blacks are looking to gain equality, why are so many looting innocent stores and creating unrest?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
From what I heard he pulled a gun on a cop. Not that it matters, people will have already decided what happened as soon as they hear cop shoots black man

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
In cases like this its almost impossible to know exactly what happened unless their is clear evidence such as CCTV. Its just the officers recollection of what happened vs the family claiming he was running away, and to be honest i'd be skeptical to trust either.

Will have to wait and see i guess, however i do think its getting to a point that now every single police shooting (especially when the victim is black) is just being viewed as a murder by the police and half these "protesters" don't even seem to consider the possibility the victim may have actually reached for his weapon.
Original post by Dodgypirate
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-30596531

Black youth Antonio Martin (18 y/o) is gunned down by a police officer.

According to French news, a gun was found close by to the petrol station where the shooting occurred.

Anyone seeing the irony?

Black male is 'lawfully' shot, is armed, yet the community is in uproar.

Obviously it's a horrible event, but if blacks are looking to gain equality, why are so many looting innocent stores and creating unrest?

'If blacks are looking to gain equality'

Man... sit your ass all the way down.
He probably was guilty tbh, people just use these shootings as an excuse to loot/cause trouble
Original post by JG1233
In cases like this its almost impossible to know exactly what happened unless their is clear evidence such as CCTV. Its just the officers recollection of what happened vs the family claiming he was running away, and to be honest i'd be skeptical to trust either.

Will have to wait and see i guess, however i do think its getting to a point that now every single police shooting (especially when the victim is black) is just being viewed as a murder by the police and half these "protesters" don't even seem to consider the possibility the victim may have actually reached for his weapon.

They have CCTV evidence from the petrol station. Most of the "protesters" are either there to attack the police as they already have done or to loot shops.
The incident occurs in the top left hand corner. It does not show the actual shooting.

[video="youtube;15vqUf6H-po"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15vqUf6H-po[/video]
Original post by UniMastermindBOSS
He probably was guilty tbh, people just use these shootings as an excuse to loot/cause trouble

No they don't.
Original post by DiddyDec
They have CCTV evidence from the petrol station. Most of the "protesters" are either there to attack the police as they already have done or to loot shops.

Why have you put protesters in quotes ?
Original post by PrincessAlexis
Why have you put protesters in quotes ?

They aren't really there to protest. They are there to attack the police and loot shops. Both of which actually happened.

The police were protecting the public from a man who was armed and clearly dangerous and they get attacked for it.
They aren't really there to protest. They are there to attack the police and loot shops. Both of which actually happened.

The police were protecting the public from a man who was armed and clearly dangerous and they get attacked for it.

They are there to protest. African Americans are hurting right now and it is disgusting that after all the recent events over there you reduce their actions to them just wanting new Jordans and to 'cause trouble'. Disgusting.
Reply 11

what even? You do realize that regardless of people's motivations for protesting some people will always try to take advantage of the chaos and wreck havoc. You do not speak on behalf of African-Americans, so please don't assume you know why they're there. There have been tonnes of successful peaceful protests all over the US, but of course you use a minority of trouble makers as a representative of all the fed up protesters. How predictable :rolleyes:
No they don't.

But weren't the London riots caused by the police shooting a drug dealer who had a fake firearm and the youths of London used that as an excuses to riot?
Reply 13
Sorry, but two NY policemen get gunned down, and you don' think Police will be jumpy at someone pulling a gun.

I don't give two ****s if he was black, yellow or green.
Original post by Aj12
From what I heard he pulled a gun on a cop. Not that it matters, people will have already decided what happened as soon as they hear cop shoots black man

Posted from TSR Mobile

Exactly!
They are there to protest. African Americans are hurting right now and it is disgusting that after all the recent events over there you reduce their actions to them just wanting new Jordans and to 'cause trouble'. Disgusting.

Why are they hurting right now, is it that 90% of black murder victims are killed by other black people?
Oh I forgot nobody cares about that bit. It only matters if a white person kills a black person.

Original post by Tai Ga
what even? You do realize that regardless of people's motivations for protesting some people will always try to take advantage of the chaos and wreck havoc. You do not speak on behalf of African-Americans, so please don't assume you know why they're there. There have been tonnes of successful peaceful protests all over the US, but of course you use a minority of trouble makers as a representative of all the fed up protesters. How predictable :rolleyes:

Some people? You don't deploy the national guard for a few bad eggs.
Original post by JG1233

The incident occurs in the top left hand corner. It does not show the actual shooting.

[video="youtube;15vqUf6H-po"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15vqUf6H-po[/video]

There is CCTV which contains all the proof the grand jury need.
No they don't.

So I'm just imagining the rioting and looting that went on in Ferguson am I?

Was it a perfectly peaceful protest and the incidents of shops being looted, shops being set alight, police being attacked, were all made up by the worlds press?

There is nothing at all wrong with protesting, but if you take it to a point where you are stealing from innocent people and destroying peoples livelihoods then it's no longer a protest and quite frankly if the police chose to open fire to stop you from rioting then I would say that they had damn well done the right thing.
Original post by AstroNandos
But weren't the London riots caused by the police shooting a drug dealer who had a fake firearm and the youths of London used that as an excuses to riot?

The ignorance of people never fails to amaze me.

Okay, lets break this down. Your response to an issue surrounding blacks in AMERICA (there is an issue there) is to bring up an example of blacks in THE UNITED KINGDOM.

Of what relevance are these two issues to each other ?! Or are you one of those people who can't grasp that all black people aren't the same person and they don't speak for each other.

MARK DUGGAN has NOTHING to do with the history of police brutality in AMERICA. They are not in any shape or form related to each other. The actions of a black person in LONDON has nothing to do with a black person in AMERICA.

Stay on topic. We are speaking about the system of white supremacy in AMERICA so i don't know why you're trying to talk about blacks in London like all black people are the same person.

SMH.
'If blacks are looking to gain equality'

Man... sit your ass all the way down.

They're doing it wrong.

I'll sit my ass right up, thanks.

Don't pull this on me, I'm just fed up with how they react to a cop doing his job.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending