The Student Room Group

Yet another black male killed in Ferguson.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tai Ga
Ferguson is an isolated incident imo. People were upset, fed up and felt screwed over. I'm not condoning the looting but yeah it happened and frankly I wasn't surprised. However, the police were no where near innocent during the protests in ferguson, as you'd have seen if you kept up with the livestreams and social media.

Regardless since that incident there have been hugely successful peaceful protests. I have no idea why you instantaneously think the protests are suddenly going to take a violent turn.

Two officers have already been injured in their protest, one had a brick thrown at them, the other was injured by a thrown explosive. They have already turned violent. 4 have been arrested for assaulting police officers.
Original post by Blaq_widow
It's straight up racist. White people are afforded individuality, rights and respect but black people are collectively responsible for one another have to 'earn' equality. What ****ing century is this dude from.

Black people have plenty of respect, plenty of rights, plenty of equality.

You both seem to think I'm generalising black people here. I'm talking about the African-American scum bag opportunists who think any time one of their brothers gets shot by a white cop it's OK to go rob some poor innocent sod.

You're both incredibly bigoted.
Reply 42
Original post by Dodgypirate
Mark Duggan might have nothing to do with brutality in the US, but there are links between what is happening in the US and what happened in the UK during the riots.

I ask you, were you even in London, Birmingham, Manchester?

I was there, I live in Clapham - I saw the very worst of it right outside my window.

Duggan, Brown and now Antonio Martin have 2 things in common: Black, CRIMINAL.

The policemen who shot them were out there doing their job while you're here sitting behind your computer condoning these thugs because of the colour of their skin(?!).

Of course brutality exists, of course what happened to Garner in NYC was atrocious, but the policemen/women were DOING THEIR ****ING JOB. I think you're the ignorant one, you have NO CLUE what it means to be a police officer, you have NO IDEA what kind of stress and psychological strain they go through, or even ARE going through, because they did their job - but somehow they've ****ing murdered someone and are witch hunted because they're white.

Grow the **** up.

It has been confirmed Mark Duggan did not even have a gun in his possession, nether mind shoot at the police like they initially tried to claim.

I'd argue shooting to death un-armed members of the public, gang-affiliated or not, is not a job i really ever linked to the police. I don't care if your stressed as a officer, deal with it or quit, that's not excuse to start murdering people because off "stress".
Reply 43
Because more often than not, they do.

And? That risk comes with any sort of demonstration. Why are ferguson protestors predisposed to violence more so than any other group? Tell me why you think that way?

blah

You keep harping on about the immense "stress" police officers go through. Lmao you, who's not black nor american and have no idea about the struggles of african americans are undermining their experiences with police brutality. In your own words: YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THEY GO THROUGH EITHER. You have absolutely no idea about the historically long racial tension between police officers and black americans.
(edited 9 years ago)
It's straight up racist. White people are afforded individuality, rights and respect but black people are collectively responsible for one another have to 'earn' equality. What ****ing century is this dude from.

This is racism in it's purest form.

When you have someone talking about what black people are up to in ****ing CLAPHAM!! when talking about AFRICAN AMERICANS!!

With the black person who is in clapham, brixton, nyc, poland, australia, wherever (!) people actually see them as one black face and afford them no individuality.

It's vile.
Where did I imply all black people are the same?

Where did I imply I'm grouping all black people?

I'm talking about African-Americans here, specifically.

When I talked about the UK riots, I'm mentioning youths in general.

In your very first post - "obviously it's a horrible event, but if blacks are looking to gain equality, why are so many looting innocent stores and creating unrest?"

No mention of African-Americans, although African-Americans are not a homogeneous group either.
Original post by PrincessAlexis
The ignorance of people never fails to amaze me.

Okay, lets break this down. Your response to an issue surrounding blacks in AMERICA (there is an issue there) is to bring up an example of blacks in THE UNITED KINGDOM.

Of what relevance are these two issues to each other ?! Or are you one of those people who can't grasp that all black people aren't the same person and they don't speak for each other.

MARK DUGGAN has NOTHING to do with the history of police brutality in AMERICA. They are not in any shape or form related to each other. The actions of a black person in LONDON has nothing to do with a black person in AMERICA.

Stay on topic. We are speaking about the system of white supremacy in AMERICA so i don't know why you're trying to talk about blacks in London like all black people are the same person.

SMH.

Lol calm down. I'll admit I didn't use the most appropriate example, however I'd say it's still relevant to my initial point. Either way, I'll use the riots after the ferguson shootings, a complete over the top reaction which wasn't justifies in the slightest.
You're like the typical racist apologist, so predictable it hurts. It has nothing to do with white vs black and everything to do with institutional racism, law enforcement abusing their power and killing these black men while not being brought to justice.

In this particular case who knows what happened but your lack of empathy, dismissive attitude and wilfull ignorance as to the real issue at hand is telling to say the least.

Without evidence we cannot make up what happened, however we have evidence and it shows a black man pulling a gun on a police officer. That is pretty solid evidence.
Black people have plenty of respect, plenty of rights, plenty of equality.

You both seem to think I'm generalising black people here. I'm talking about the African-American scum bag opportunists who think any time one of their brothers gets shot by a white cop it's OK to go rob some poor innocent sod.

You're both incredibly bigoted.

I wasn't even addressing anything you said but the defensiveness is real in you.

Bigoted? Don't use language you don't understand.

You only have to scratch slightly beneath the surface to see it. It's mind-boggling how backwards some of these users are.
If was armed then what's the problem
You're like the typical racist apologist, so predictable it hurts. It has nothing to do with white vs black and everything to do with institutional racism, law enforcement abusing their power and killing these black men while not being brought to justice.

In this particular case who knows what happened but your lack of empathy, dismissive attitude and wilfull ignorance as to the real issue at hand is telling to say the least.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

OP you're coming across quite bitter, it's actually unbelievable. This story should have absolutely nothing to do with race. It's simply a male getting shot down by police for logical reasons. No black person (unless idiotic) will be going on the streets to riot about this case when it's obvious the victim has clearly done something wrong. He would be criminally liable for aggravating etc a police officer as he was clearly armed. It's unfortunate that it just had to be black v white, citizen v police officer.

This story cannot be grouped with the likes of Ferguson etc.
From previous cases, there is an argument that the victims didn't do enough to warrant being shot down by police, one even said "I can't breath" a substantial amount of times yet officers did nothing ultimately leading to his death.

Your thread title is misleading as well. This story should not be about race, clearly you just have an issue.
Original post by PrincessAlexis
This is racism in it's purest form.

When you have someone talking about what black people are up to in ****ing CLAPHAM!! when talking about AFRICAN AMERICANS!!

With the black person who is in clapham, brixton, nyc, poland, australia, wherever (!) people actually see them as one black face and afford them no individuality.

It's vile.

Standard brand of ignorance maintained by people with limited capability for anything other than narrow minded, misinformed, category-based thinking. Not everyone has the complexity of thought to step outside their own experience and find it easier to group people, situations and experience into simple 'boxes'. The end result is poor reasoning and misjudgement. Sheer ignorance. This is mainstream society.
Reply 53
If this carries on, we'll need to get some black cops to shoot some of us white folk. Also, make sure some are women, we don't want the feminists up in arms that they aren't being killed in equal measure.
Original post by Tai Ga
And? That risk comes with any sort of demonstration. Why are ferguson protestors predisposed to violence more so than any other group? Tell me why you think that way?

You keep harping on about the immense "stress" police officers go through. Lmao you, who's not black nor american and have no idea about the struggles of african americans are undermining their experiences with police brutality. In your own words: YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THEY GO THROUGH EITHER. You have absolutely no idea about the historically long racial tension between police officers and black americans.

Why are Ferguson protesters so prone to inciting violence you ask? Well it's simple really, it's a poorer community, they're bored, sick of being "demonized" by us white folk, sick of being victims, sick of our society, trigger happy, jobless, uneducated, brainless .... the list goes on.
(edited 9 years ago)
He pointed a gun at an officer for no good reason, I have no sympathy for him.
Original post by DiddyDec
Without evidence we cannot make up what happened, however we have evidence and it shows a black man pulling a gun on a police officer. That is pretty solid evidence.

Solid evidence because he's a civilian. There was solid evidence of police shooting an unarmed Mark Duggan. Why is the attribution of guilt not the same? Do you see my point?

For the record I disagree with police abusing power outside of the whole race debate, so white/asians included. There have been other occasions where they have gotten away with things the average person wouldn't, simply because they are the law enforcement which is fundamentally wrong and needs to be challenged.

I have absolutely ZILCH hate, racism, prejudice against blacks - so much so that my fiancée is mixed raced.

Is your postman black too? That makes it all OK then.
Original post by JG1233
It has been confirmed Mark Duggan did not even have a gun in his possession, nether mind shoot at the police like they initially tried to claim.

I'd argue shooting to death un-armed members of the public, gang-affiliated or not, is not a job i really ever linked to the police. I don't care if your stressed as a officer, deal with it or quit, that's not excuse to start murdering people because off "stress".

So you think the police officer knowingly that Duggan was unarmed, and in a vulnerable position, somehow would shoot him?

Only certain divisions in the UK police are armed - which makes us so much better at dealing with these types of situation than the Yanks. Bearing that in mind, Central would not send a group of armed police to a arrest a man if they knew he was unarmed.

It's funny, this whole thing was discussed in a Criminology lecture/seminar during my last year at University ...
Original post by Lyrical Prodigy
Is your postman black too? That makes it all OK then.

As a matter of fact, yes he is lol :biggrin: and his name is Trevor haha

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending