The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

Studying Abroad at Glasgow

Hi! I'm an american student in my sophomore year of university. I'm going to be studying abroad my junior year in Scotland. I've narrowed it down (based on my school's program options) to Glasgow, Dundee, and Edinburgh. I'm also an english major, with a film minor.

I was mainly wondering what the city is like, especially because I'm an american student who has never been to the UK. I have family there, so I wouldn't be entirely alone and I've heard a little bit about each city, but I need more student opinions.

So what is the school like, especially the english program? The dorms? And what is the city like? I've heard it's really rough, but I'm not really sure what that means.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by elizajoan

So what is the school like, especially the english program? The dorms? And what is the city like? I've heard it's really rough, but I'm not really sure what that means.

I'll start by saying I know very little about Dundee University as an academic institution. The city itself is fairly small and out of the way. I'd actually be surprised if an exchange student picked it over Ed/Glas, to be honest. Perhaps if there is a particular aspect of the Dundee course that appeals to you or something, but otherwise I don't think the city has much to offer that Edinburgh or Glasgow can't offer more of.

Edinburgh and Glasgow are two of the UK's best universities. I'm sure you'll find the English Lit/Lang courses very stimulating and the experience of attending these universities to be rewarding. I'm not sure how they compare to dorms in the states but the rooms offered at Glasgow range in price and quality. The university website does a pretty good job of summarising the qualities of each halls of residence.

I'd hazard a guess that the person who told you Glasgow was 'really rough' (which is usually taken to mean a combination of dangerous, dirty and other negative things) has either never been to Glasgow or has passed through one of the more deprived areas of the east end and developed their view from that. There's actually no city in the UK that can be considered 'really rough' as a whole, although most of the big cities (London, Manchester, Glasgow, Leeds) have particular areas that are, let's say, a little feisty :smile: I'm actually from Cambridge (which is probably considered to be one of the UK's more upmarket locations) and I've certainly never found Glasgow to be anything other than a really nice place to live.

Glasgow's west end (where the university is located) is leafy and very charming, the centre is what I'd describe as 'handsome.' It's for the most part not a cute, touristy, windy lane, chocolate box type place (although, as I said, the west end is very pretty). It is instead busy, noisy and vibrant. It has a fantastic cultural scene, especially great for music and modern art. Edinburgh is a very different city. It's smaller, cuter and probably more stereotypically Scottish. It's very tourist friendly (and they flock there in droves). I'm sure people from Ed will do a good job of talking up the qualities of the place, so I'll leave it there.

Both are surrounded by beautiful and easily accessible countryside, and, importantly, the cities are about 50 minutes train ride from one another. So, whichever you pick, you'll be able to easily visit the other city.

Any answer (mine or others) to a question like this will obviously be kind of vague and impressionistic. If you're anything like me it'll probably end up being impulse that leads you one way or the other. I hope my answer is of some help though, and if you need any other advice before your move, do let me know. Good luck!
(edited 9 years ago)
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Original post by European Son
I'll start by saying I know very little about Dundee University as an academic institution. The city itself is fairly small and out of the way. I'd actually be surprised if an exchange student picked it over Ed/Glas, to be honest. Perhaps if there is a particular aspect of the Dundee course that appeals to you or something, but otherwise I don't think the city has much to offer that Edinburgh or Glasgow can't offer more of.

Edinburgh and Glasgow are two of the UK's best universities. I'm sure you'll find the English Lit/Lang courses very stimulating and the experience of attending these universities to be rewarding. I'm not sure how they compare to dorms in the states but the rooms offered at Glasgow range in price and quality. The university website does a pretty good job of summarising the qualities of each halls of residence.

I'd hazard a guess that the person who told you Glasgow was 'really rough' (which is usually taken to mean a combination of dangerous, dirty and other negative things) has either never been to Glasgow or has passed through one of the more deprived areas of the east end and developed their view from that. There's actually no city in the UK that can be considered 'really rough' as a whole, although most of the big cities (London, Manchester, Glasgow, Leeds) have particular areas that are, let's say, a little feisty :smile: I'm actually from Cambridge (which is probably considered to be one of the UK's more upmarket locations) and I've certainly never found Glasgow to be anything other than a really nice place to live.

Glasgow's west end (where the university is located) is leafy and very charming, the centre is what I'd describe as 'handsome.' It's for the most part not a cute, touristy, windy lane, chocolate box type place (although, as I said, the west end is very pretty). It is instead busy, noisy and vibrant. It has a fantastic cultural scene, especially great for music and modern art. Edinburgh is a very different city. It's smaller, cuter and probably more stereotypically Scottish. It's very tourist friendly (and they flock there in droves). I'm sure people from Ed will do a good job of talking up the qualities of the place, so I'll leave it there.

Both are surrounded by beautiful and easily accessible countryside, and, importantly, the cities are about 50 minutes train ride from one another. So, whichever you pick, you'll be able to easily visit the other city.

Any answer (mine or others) to a question like this will obviously be kind of vague and impressionistic. If you're anything like me it'll probably end up being impulse that leads you one way or the other. I hope my answer is of some help though, and if you need any other advice before your move, do let me know. Good luck!

It's well known west end is safer than city center and the east really in Glasgow.But I google some key words e.g. crime, and finded out that actually the crimes happens outside of the GU area. In other words, it is very safe from Hillhead to Yorkhill, and from Byres Rd to Kelvin Way. However, there are a lot of fights and drunken in home parties problem in Sauchiehall St. As I found in the report, both the Sauchiehall St in Glasgow and Rose St in Ed are seen as dangerous areas. Also, even though the rent is quite high in Hillhead and the northwestern side of GU, I saw a lot of stabbing records there.

My point is, since the Ed and Glasgow are the largest cities in Scortland, it's unavoidable that there are more crimes happening out of 10,000 people. Students in GU are lucky that the campus is really lovely and sound. However, perhaps students living away from campus have to be careful. The Sauchihall St. is just near the Kelvingrove museum. Going along Sauchihall St from the Kelvingrove Bowl, there are almost only hotels, flats ,houses and parks in 0.5 miles. It might not be ideal for students to live.
Original post by lraul
It's well known west end is safer than city center and the east really in Glasgow.But I google some key words e.g. crime, and finded out that actually the crimes happens outside of the GU area. In other words, it is very safe from Hillhead to Yorkhill, and from Byres Rd to Kelvin Way. However, there are a lot of fights and drunken in home parties problem in Sauchiehall St. As I found in the report, both the Sauchiehall St in Glasgow and Rose St in Ed are seen as dangerous areas. Also, even though the rent is quite high in Hillhead and the northwestern side of GU, I saw a lot of stabbing records there.

My point is, since the Ed and Glasgow are the largest cities in Scortland, it's unavoidable that there are more crimes happening out of 10,000 people. Students in GU are lucky that the campus is really lovely and sound. However, perhaps students living away from campus have to be careful. The Sauchihall St. is just near the Kelvingrove museum. Going along Sauchihall St from the Kelvingrove Bowl, there are almost only hotels, flats ,houses and parks in 0.5 miles. It might not be ideal for students to live.

Well any city has it's crime issues and Glasgow is no different. As a Glasgow native, who lives in the east end, I can say that the west end is a lot safer. But put it this way, i still wouldn't be walking down weird alley ways at night or walk home blazing drunk myself, I think you just have to be sensible about these things (I wouldn't do this anywhere). If you keep yourself to yourself and don't act the 'big man' you'll never have a problem.

The west end is a hive of nightlife, most people are pretty respectful of each other. As for Sauchiehall St, this is probably the busiest street in Glasgow for shopping and for night clubs/restaurants/pubs so it's no surprise that it has a higher crime rate, nothing really to worry about.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks for your tips. But I found it's unavoidable to walking along alley. And even some streets like Univ Ave and Kelvin Way could be very dark and by which few people passed after 6 pm. Last semester I ran into the automatic bar at the gate and I always felt really scared as once a weird guy shouted all the way...
Reply 5
Original post by elizajoan
Hi! I'm an american student in my sophomore year of university. I'm going to be studying abroad my junior year in Scotland. I've narrowed it down (based on my school's program options) to Glasgow, Dundee, and Edinburgh. I'm also an english major, with a film minor.

I was mainly wondering what the city is like, especially because I'm an american student who has never been to the UK. I have family there, so I wouldn't be entirely alone and I've heard a little bit about each city, but I need more student opinions.

Hi! I will be an international student attending next semester (starting september 2015). Although I visisted Glasgow and Edinburgh last year on their open days. I went alone and all I could say about the people of Glasgow is extremly helpfull and most of them are super kind. Glasgow is rough, by that I mean that it is a city of hard working people. It is a bit dirty sometimes but I didn't feel uncomfortable at all making my way around Glasgow by myself.
The accommodations at UoG are very good but basic. Personally, I will try to find room mate(s) to share an apartment with.

Edinburgh is so beautiful and I don't unfortunately don't have that much to say about the universities. I've heard mainly good things about Edinburgh -- it's a great city with great people!
As someone who has lived in both Dundee and Glasgow (neither of them are my hometown) for the love of god don't go to Dundee unless you really really want that small community feeling. The university campus is lovely for the most part but the city doesn't offer anything interesting other than some penguin statues. I'm at Glasgow now and I've always loved this city. There's so much going on, and people are friendly for the most part.

I live in the east end (Parkhead) and many people will tell you the east end is a ****hole and full of unsavoury characters but I've never had a problem living here. If you're going to be living in the student halls though you don't have much reason to venture over to the east end. The west end is particularly lovely and the city centre is pretty nice as well. I much prefer Glasgow to Edinburgh and I often find it difficult to put my finger on what it is, but I definitely think people from Glasgow and the west coast seem to be friendlier than those from Edinburgh and the east coast.

I think the thing about living in Glasgow or any big city is that you need to be smart. Don't wander around alone at night, look after yourself and your friends and don't make a nuisance of yourself on a night out and you should be fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending