The Student Room Group

Which uni has a better business school, Strathclyde or Glasgow?

I've got offers from both unis and am now struggling to choose one as my insurance choice. I know Glasgow has a better overall ranking, but one of the reasons why I'm struggling is also because of the courses they offer. If for Strathclyde, I'm gonna study International Business whereas, for Glasgow, it's gonna be Business and Management. International Business seems to be a really nice course... that's why I'm struggling...

Any thoughts or suggestions on these two business schools?
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 1
The thing is one being 'International' and the other not, doesn't really make that much of a difference in the wider scheme of things. No employer faced with two candidates is going to hire based on X did, 'International' business but Y only did 'Business'. They are practically the same course and you will develop the same skills. Just choose which university you prefer. If you want to work internationally it makes no difference which course you choose.
Original post by hangk0724
I've got offers from both unis and am now struggling to choose one as my insurance choice. I know Glasgow has a better overall ranking, but one of the reasons why I'm struggling is also because of the courses they offer. If for Strathclyde, I'm gonna study International Business whereas, for Glasgow, it's gonna be Business and Management. International Business seems to be a really nice course... that's why I'm struggling...

Any thoughts or suggestions on these two business schools?

Hey @hangk0724 :biggrin: Glad to hear you're considering us as one of your options! Are you already based near Glasgow or would you be travelling from further afield?

I know this thread is from 4 days ago so you may have already made your mind up by now but let me know if I can be of any help :smile: I'd def agree with @Makro and recommend picking your uni based on which one you feel you'll like more rather than going off of overall rankings. When you're a graduate an employer won't hire a university or a ranking - they'll hire *you* as an individual - so pick a course and a uni where you'll be happier and take up more opportunities and progress as a result :u: Both are excellent choices and we both have great reputations for our teaching so it's just a case of thinking about what you want and how we fit in to that.

I studied International Business with Languages at Strathclyde and loved my time here (I graduated in 2018). Happy to chat to you about my experiences if you've any more specific queries around that.

Wishing you tons of luck with your choices!!

- Caitlin :h:
Official University of Strathclyde Rep
Reply 3
Original post by Makro
The thing is one being 'International' and the other not, doesn't really make that much of a difference in the wider scheme of things. No employer faced with two candidates is going to hire based on X did, 'International' business but Y only did 'Business'. They are practically the same course and you will develop the same skills. Just choose which university you prefer. If you want to work internationally it makes no difference which course you choose.

Thank you so much for your reply!! I've now chosen Strathclyde as my insurance choice as I do love the course on itself and the uni!
Reply 4
Original post by University of Strathclyde
Hey @hangk0724 :biggrin: Glad to hear you're considering us as one of your options! Are you already based near Glasgow or would you be travelling from further afield?

I know this thread is from 4 days ago so you may have already made your mind up by now but let me know if I can be of any help :smile: I'd def agree with @Makro and recommend picking your uni based on which one you feel you'll like more rather than going off of overall rankings. When you're a graduate an employer won't hire a university or a ranking - they'll hire *you* as an individual - so pick a course and a uni where you'll be happier and take up more opportunities and progress as a result :u: Both are excellent choices and we both have great reputations for our teaching so it's just a case of thinking about what you want and how we fit in to that.

I studied International Business with Languages at Strathclyde and loved my time here (I graduated in 2018). Happy to chat to you about my experiences if you've any more specific queries around that.

Wishing you tons of luck with your choices!!

Hi Caitlin,

Thanks for all the information and advice! I'm based in London so location-wise, it wouldn't really be a concern for me as I don't mind travelling. I've now chosen Strathclyde due to its course (especially being guaranteed to study abroad), the university on its own and the required grades. And now I'm more assured of the choice I made after seeing your reply!!

Thanks again for your time and information!!

Hazel
Original post by hangk0724
Hi Caitlin,

Thanks for all the information and advice! I'm based in London so location-wise, it wouldn't really be a concern for me as I don't mind travelling. I've now chosen Strathclyde due to its course (especially being guaranteed to study abroad), the university on its own and the required grades. And now I'm more assured of the choice I made after seeing your reply!!

Thanks again for your time and information!!

Hazel

Hey Hazel @hangk0724 :biggrin: Amazing, glad to hear it! You're very welcome, happy to help any time :smile: Glasgow is a great place to be a student and I loved my time at Strathclyde. If you'd plan to stay in halls at the uni make sure to apply for accommodation this month so that your application is in the system if you need it to be :h: Even if we're your insurance choice you can still do so.

If you're ever visiting Glasgow and would like to visit the campus let me know! & Best of luck with your exams, you'll be amazing!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending