The Student Room Group

Funding Scottish 5 year course

I am wondering if an English student applying for tuition fees for studying in Scotland will get fees covered by a loan for the extra year. The course we are looking at is an integrated masters in biochemistry which would be 4 years in England but 5 in Scotland. Hoping the extra year can be financed.
Yes its fine
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
Yes its fine

Thank you. I did think it would be but the student finance page wasn’t clear. Just need to decide now whether or not it is worth the extra borrowing!
Original post by Elsie68
Thank you. I did think it would be but the student finance page wasn’t clear. Just need to decide now whether or not it is worth the extra borrowing!

See if you get an offer (Scottish universities reject a much higher proportion of applicants than English universities), visit and then decide :smile:
Reply 4
Thanks. We visited Glasgow University yesterday at the Open Day and loved it. Just need to work out the financing.
Original post by Elsie68
I am wondering if an English student applying for tuition fees for studying in Scotland will get fees covered by a loan for the extra year. The course we are looking at is an integrated masters in biochemistry which would be 4 years in England but 5 in Scotland. Hoping the extra year can be financed.

Hi Elsie68,

Yes, as long as it is an eligible course that attracts SFE support and the additional year is integrated.

Thanks, Clare
Reply 6
Thanks. Yes it’s a 4 year BSc with an integrated masters in the 5th year.
Original post by SFE Clare
Hi Elsie68,

Yes, as long as it is an eligible course that attracts SFE support and the additional year is integrated.

Thanks, Clare
Original post by Elsie68
Thanks. Yes it’s a 4 year BSc with an integrated masters in the 5th year.

Thank you. If you have any further questions then do let us know. Thanks, Jason
Reply 8
Actually I do have another question about finance. If you do a year in industry or year abroad will any tuition fees still be eligible for a loan in that year. Also can you get a maintenance loan if you are studying abroad as part of the course or if working in industry for all or part of a year.
Original post by Elsie68
Actually I do have another question about finance. If you do a year in industry or year abroad will any tuition fees still be eligible for a loan in that year. Also can you get a maintenance loan if you are studying abroad as part of the course or if working in industry for all or part of a year.

Hi Elsie,

Yes, if the course attracts tuition fees for that year sometimes the university don't or sometimes it's a reduced amount that they request on that year. Your application will update automatically for that year when you go onto the placement year. Regarding the maintenance loan, this depends on whether it's a full, part year placement, where the placement is, if it's paid or unpaid etc. Again this should automatically assess you on the placement year when you apply for it based on the information you provide. Thanks, Jason
(edited 6 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending