The Student Room Group

Depression can't find the motivation or attention span to study

I've been trying to revise for the past two weeks, I'm a second year university student and have exams coming up in January but cannot revise. Every day I just seem to stay in bed all day without the energy to even get up let alone revise. It's so frustrating I want to revise but I finding it so difficult to. I've been diagnosed with depression and on medication for it before the summer my doctor doubled my prozac dose, but I don't feel it's having any affect whatsoever.
Knowing I'm going to fail these exams is not helping and just adding to the stress.
I'm currently doing A Levels and in the exact same situation, I have no motivation whatsoever and seem to stay in bed all day; I haven't seen a doctor about it but it's worrying as I want to revise but can't seem to find the will.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do you mean that your doctor doubled your dose before the summer or recently whilst you've been trying to revise? If you haven't already, I'd suggest going to the doctor and explaining the problem and the fact that you don't think your increased dose is making a difference. Changing your dose/medication now obviously will probably not have an effect soon enough for your revision, but a doctor may be able to offer different types of solutions, and in any case a medication or treatment change might help in the long run (although it might be worth considering that any drastic changes with unknown side effects shouldn't really occur so soon to an exam period!)

As for other advice:

Have you tried revising with a friend? They might help motivate you, and it would be an incentive to get up if you agree to meet at a specific time. Maybe change your revision style or where you revise? For some people, it might be easier to revise if you go to a better environment like a library, or just a quiet place in your house. Once you actually go there, the main motivation obstacle is conquered, since the environment can help with motivation. For me, I actually prefer revising in my room and have recently started doing this - probably a comfort thing, and seems like less of a mountain getting up to my desk etc. Maybe surround yourself with motivating reasons to work (positive ones rather than ones based on fear).

Good luck!
Reply 3
Original post by roflcakes1
Do you mean that your doctor doubled your dose before the summer or recently whilst you've been trying to revise? If you haven't already, I'd suggest going to the doctor and explaining the problem and the fact that you don't think your increased dose is making a difference. Changing your dose/medication now obviously will probably not have an effect soon enough for your revision, but a doctor may be able to offer different types of solutions, and in any case a medication or treatment change might help in the long run (although it might be worth considering that any drastic changes with unknown side effects shouldn't really occur so soon to an exam period!)

As for other advice:

Have you tried revising with a friend? They might help motivate you, and it would be an incentive to get up if you agree to meet at a specific time. Maybe change your revision style or where you revise? For some people, it might be easier to revise if you go to a better environment like a library, or just a quiet place in your house. Once you actually go there, the main motivation obstacle is conquered, since the environment can help with motivation. For me, I actually prefer revising in my room and have recently started doing this - probably a comfort thing, and seems like less of a mountain getting up to my desk etc. Maybe surround yourself with motivating reasons to work (positive ones rather than ones based on fear).

Good luck!

Sorry that was a mistake in my OP my doctor upped my dose before I broke up for christmas (last week before I came home). So I've been on the increase dose for about 2 weeks now. I've got an appointment with my doctor scheduled for when I go back next week.
It's difficult to revise at home for me as I can't even get out of bed. I don't have any friends and I don't live near a library, I know it sounds like I'm making excuses but I do really want to revise I just can't find the motivation to even eat let alone revise. The stress is giving me nausea and I feel like throwing up every time I even think about exams.
Original post by Anonymous
I've been trying to revise for the past two weeks, I'm a second year university student and have exams coming up in January but cannot revise. Every day I just seem to stay in bed all day without the energy to even get up let alone revise. It's so frustrating I want to revise but I finding it so difficult to. I've been diagnosed with depression and on medication for it before the summer my doctor doubled my prozac dose, but I don't feel it's having any affect whatsoever.
Knowing I'm going to fail these exams is not helping and just adding to the stress.

I know how you feel it happens each year and I get good grades. Honestly you just have to force yourself to revise.. Just go and do it.

Quick Reply

Latest