The Student Room Group

Economics applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SSpringer20
I will only apply to Cambridge if I get 95% UMS across the board

I would say 95% in best/most relevant 3

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Daltohn
Might be true, LSE's Economics department is a lot stronger though. Their undergraduate programme is more modern, and sets you up better for a PhD.

Posted from TSR Mobile

yeah that's true tbf
It doesn't matter if you get into Cambridge or LSE (or even Oxford), you'll do well in life at all of them.
Original post by Mike_123
It doesn't matter if you get into Cambridge or LSE (or even Oxford), you'll do well in life at all of them.

Hopefully we just meet our offers now

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Daltohn
Might be true, LSE's Economics department is a lot stronger though. Their undergraduate programme is more modern, and sets you up better for a PhD.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Neither department is "a lot stronger" than the other... they are both closely rank within the top 5 year on year with slight variations. The general consensus is the Cambridge undergrad course is a lot better suited towards actually learning Economics; you can see this by the course composition which has a strong emphasis on both the quantitative and qualititive aspects of economics, plus the added bonus of the superior teaching. Whereas the LSE course is more suited towards those who want an applied maths course and really keen on pursuing a career in the City (with optional modules in accounting, business, finance etc.)

But as Mike said, they will both set you up well for any high-flying career and it doesn't really matter which is "better" unless you're one of the lucky few that gets to pick from both. As for PostGrad that depends more on how well you perform and which optional modules you pick in subsequent years, both again are fine.

Anyways good luck to everyone hearing back in 2 weeks!
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2205
warwick or ucl? why
Original post by Boy_wonder_95
Neither department is "a lot stronger" than the other... they are both closely rank within the top 5 year on year with slight variations. The general consensus is the Cambridge undergrad course is a lot better suited towards actually learning Economics; you can see this by the course composition which has a strong emphasis on both the quantitative and qualititive aspects of economics, plus the added bonus of the superior teaching. Whereas the LSE course is more suited towards those who want an applied maths course and really keen on pursuing a career in the City (with optional modules in accounting, business, finance etc.)

But as Mike said, they will both set you up well for any high-flying career and it doesn't really matter which is "better" unless you're one of the lucky few that gets to pick from both. As for PostGrad that depends more on how well you perform and which optional modules you pick in subsequent years, both again are fine.

Anyways good luck to everyone hearing back in 2 weeks!
Posted from TSR Mobile

Overall good post, but just to comment on what I said; you're right in that LSE has more of an applied maths course, which happens to be what the best (US) PhD programmes are looking for, hence my comment. And LSE's department is stronger faculty-wise according to most people. I'm sure Cambridge's course is excellent, I've heard it involves Keynes slightly too much though haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ndhala
warwick or ucl? why

ucl because it has the London advantage and department has better research and is historically v good
Original post by ndhala
warwick or ucl? why

Marginal difference between the two, down to preference.
I would pick Warwick, purely because I don't want to go to a London uni, and I prefer Warwick's campus.
Original post by H0PEL3SS
Marginal difference between the two, down to preference.
I would pick Warwick, purely because I don't want to go to a London uni, and I prefer Warwick's campus.

I agree, I chose to apply to Warwick and no London universities purely because I can't face living in London as a student
Original post by jchap9776
tbf its only worth doing ib for the experience so you can move to hedgefunding or asset management, ib is just the easiest to get into and then just use the experience to transfer to something a lot less intense - these are my thoughts but i'm hoping to get swayed to a set career path at uni itself

Exactly! I aim to do IB for 2 years and then leave to go for CFA qualification whilst working at a hedgefund / Private Equity firm.... Assuming i get a place at an IB... and Assuming i get a 1st Class Hon BSC... also Assuming i get a sick SW / summer Week... hahaha :smile:
Original post by fha96
Posted from TSR Mobile

Asset management maybe? Pay isn't much lower than that of FO investment bankers and the hours aren't as much of a madting either

DASSAMADTING! Asset management is pretty interesting; espicially if you do it at a reputable place.
Original post by NinjaPandaa
I agree, I chose to apply to Warwick and no London universities purely because I can't face living in London as a student

Same.. Don't want my parents turning up uninvited on a Saturday morning :biggrin:
Original post by H0PEL3SS
Same.. Don't want my parents turning up uninvited on a Saturday morning :biggrin:

Ah I take it you live pretty near London then :biggrin:
I am just hoping I get offers from Warwick,Bristol and Nottingham. :frown:
Original post by Skill Twix
I am just hoping I get offers from Warwick,Bristol and Nottingham. :frown:

Are those your top 3? If you got all three which do you think you'd firm? :smile:
got AAB offers for BSc Economics at Sheffield and Cardiff!! Has anybody else also applied to these uni's?
Original post by Jayology97
got AAB offers for BSc Economics at Sheffield and Cardiff!! Has anybody else also applied to these uni's?

Congratulations! What are your other 3 choices? :smile:
Thanks! Got an offer from Royal Holloway and awaiting decisions from Leicester and Sussex :smile:
Original post by Jayology97
Thanks! Got an offer from Royal Holloway and awaiting decisions from Leicester and Sussex :smile:

Ooh which one would you like to firm?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending