The Student Room Group

Stuck on some natural log questions?

I'm revising and I just have no idea how to do these questions. explainations would be much appreciated x

1) Draw the graph of lnl2x-3l - its a modulus

2) What is the derivitive of (1/2)^x

3) what is (-4ln4)-(-4ln0.5)

Thank you!
Reply 1
1) First of all how would you draw the graph for f(x)f(|x|)? Then how would you draw the graph of f(2x3)f(2x - 3)?

2) First, spot that (12)x\left(\dfrac{1}{2}\right)^x, is just 2x2^{-x}. Now from the rule eln(a)=ae^{\ln(a)} = a, we can sub 2x2^{-x} into the aa, to get that 2x=exln22^{-x} = e^{-x\ln2}. Now you can differentiate as normal using the chain rule.

3) First multiply out all the minus signs, then use the log rule ln(a)+ln(b)=ln(ab)\ln(a) + \ln(b) = \ln(ab).
Reply 2
Original post by JustHoping
I'm revising and I just have no idea how to do these questions. explainations would be much appreciated x

1) Draw the graph of lnl2x-3l - its a modulus

2) What is the derivitive of (1/2)^x

3) what is (-4ln4)-(-4ln0.5)

Thank you!

1) Break up the graph into a combination of transformations starting with f(x) = ln(x)

ln(x) -> ln|x| -> ln|2x| -> ln |2(x-1.5)|

Each of these steps are graph transformations that you should be familiar with

2) Write y = (1/2)^x then try taking logs of both sides. Next use implicit differentiation to find dy/dx. This is one of a few ways to tackle this.

3) Use blna=lnabb\ln a = \ln a^b for both of the logs then combine the logs.
Reply 3
Original post by notnek
1) Break up the graph into a combination of transformations starting with f(x) = ln(x)

ln(x) -> ln|x| -> ln|2x| -> ln |2(x-1.5)|

Each of these steps are graph transformations that you should be familiar with

2) Write y = (1/2)^x then try taking logs of both sides. Next use implicit differentiation to find dy/dx. This is one of a few ways to tackle this.

3) Use blna=lnabb\ln a = \ln a^b for both of the logs then combine the logs.

Thank you, you've both been a big help. But I'm still a little confused about the last question?

Quick Reply

Latest