The Student Room Group

I'm 21, never drank alcohol.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TorpidPhil
Lol, please. Do you know anything about alcohol?

Yes, I know quite a bit. I know that various studies have shown that moderate alcohol consumption is good for cardiovascular health, and light and moderate drinkers have a higher life expectancy than teetotallers.
Original post by Swanbow
Yes, I know quite a bit. I know that various studies have shown that moderate alcohol consumption is good for cardiovascular health, and light and moderate drinkers have a higher life expectancy than teetotallers.

Hilarious.
Hilarious.

Yep. Posting widely accepted facts on the positive effects of moderate alcohol consumption is 'hilarious'.
I don't drink either because I don't like anything. My friends call me boring and tell me to drink something but I literally just don't like it:colondollar: Plus I've mopped up so much of my friend's vomit that i'm puts me off...
Original post by Swanbow
Yep. Posting widely accepted facts on the positive effects of moderate alcohol consumption is 'hilarious'.

I dislike talking about nutrition because even GPs are hugely ignorant about it. Do you realise biochemically what alcohol does to you? You may as well claim poison is healthy for you because that is what it is.

The "facts" all stem from highy fallacious epidemiological studies. Studies which also claim that vegetarian diets are far healthier than omnivorous diets. Studies which claim that saturated fat is far worse than the same amount of calories of any other fat and so on and so on. They're wrong.

Next thing you'll be saying alcohol cures diabetes. Hmph. It makes me angry. This misinformation is killing people.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Swanbow

Often people are tee total because of some wider issue. (Although, as this thread shows, not always.) If someone doesn't drink, it could be because they already have a health issue or are an alcoholic etc, which may account for the reason that teetollars have a lower life expectancy.
Alcohol to me is just a waste if time and finances. I wont judge someone for drinking, power to them if they go about it responsibly. Ive never seen the point in it
Reply 27
Original post by 2scotty
I'm 21 (a guy) and I've never drank alcohol. Is this weird? I've tried a sip of something once but never really liked the taste. So many people moan that they've got such a bad hangover after drinking loads and moaning they've got no money in the bank... is there any point to drinking? Surely you can have a good time without it? You don't need to be drunk to have a laugh :smile:
I'm guessing you're at uni now, may I ask do you still go out with friends and don't drink or do you mainly have friends who don't drink and do other stuff?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by dd1234
I'm guessing you're at uni now, may I ask do you still go out with friends and don't drink or do you mainly have friends who don't drink and do other stuff?

I go out but don't drink. The best bit...

Laughing at what your mates do when they're drunk haha. Who needs to drink to have a good time eh? :wink:
I dislike talking about nutrition because even GPs are hugely ignorant about it. Do you realise biochemically what alcohol does to you? You may as well claim poison is healthy for you because that is what it is.

The "facts" all stem from highy fallacious epidemiological studies. Studies which also claim that vegetarian diets are far healthier than omnivorous diets. Studies which claim that saturated fat is far worse than the same amount of calories of any other fat and so on and so on. They're wrong.

Well until you produce peer reviewed studies that prove the contrary I'll think I will accept the existing epidemiological studies from accredited scientists. Well enjoying pints of ale, or the odd glass of wine.

Original post by baldwel
Often people are tee total because of some wider issue. (Although, as this thread shows, not always.) If someone doesn't drink, it could be because they already have a health issue or are an alcoholic etc, which may account for the reason that teetollars have a lower life expectancy.

I think that a lot of teetotalers nowadays are usually people who don't drink due to religious reasons. Within that it is predominately Muslims of South Asian origin, and with that ethnic group comes certain health problems, such as predisposition to heart disease and diabetes which might contribute to a lower overall life expectancy for teetotalers. However I'm not sure of where the country of origin of that sudy comes from, if it was America the South Asian factor wouldn't be all that relevant. I don' think that the life expectancy of teetotallers is all to do with a correlation with alcohol consumption, but no doubt it plays some part.
Original post by Swanbow
Well until you produce peer reviewed studies that prove the contrary I'll think I will accept the existing epidemiological studies from accredited scientists. Well enjoying pints of ale, or the odd glass of wine.

I think that a lot of teetotalers nowadays are usually people who don't drink due to religious reasons. Within that it is predominately Muslims of South Asian origin, and with that ethnic group comes certain health problems, such as predisposition to heart disease and diabetes which might contribute to a lower overall life expectancy for teetotalers. However I'm not sure of where the country of origin of that sudy comes from, if it was America the South Asian factor wouldn't be all that relevant. I don' think that the life expectancy of teetotallers is all to do with a correlation with alcohol consumption, but no doubt it plays some part.

:frown:
I'm 23 & haven't drank it either, many times I've been around people who do though. I don't really find any temptation to do so either.
Original post by 2scotty
I'm 21 (a guy) and I've never drank alcohol.

Is this weird?

It's weird but that doesn't make it wrong or anything. Alcohol's overrated IMHO.
Good for you OP, good for you :smile:

You don't have to conform just because everyone else does it. A good night isn't made solely on the consumption of alcohol.
Original post by 2scotty

Is this weird?

I've tried a sip of something once but never really liked the taste. So many people moan that they've got such a bad hangover after drinking loads and moaning they've got no money in the bank... is there any point to drinking?

Surely you can have a good time without it? You don't need to be drunk to have a laugh :smile:

Congrats for doing what you want to do and for not feeling pressured to conform.:smile:
Original post by Swanbow

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2011/mar/07/safe-level-alcohol-consumption
You should look up a thing called straight edge - it's all like this kinda never drunk stuff

Posted from TSR Mobile
Don't even bother lol. I was raised with no exposure to alcohol so now whenever I drink it it's just anti-climatic and I'd much rather be drinking Coke instead, if I'm out and others are drinking I'll usually have one or two drinks like if we're all doing shots together or playing beer pong but other than that I'm not really fussed.

I feel like alcohol is put on a pedestal, it's no big deal if you drink it or don't (unless it's negatively impacts your well-being).
Reply 38
Original post by 2scotty

Is this weird?

I've tried a sip of something once but never really liked the taste. So many people moan that they've got such a bad hangover after drinking loads and moaning they've got no money in the bank... is there any point to drinking?

Surely you can have a good time without it? You don't need to be drunk to have a laugh :smile:

Yeah I hate the taste too, but I stomach it so I can get drunk.

Interesting article. Professor Nutt is always worth listening to. My only comment is that if alcohol was as toxic as he stated, and so was acetaldehyde, the life expectancy of light to moderate drinkers would be significantly effected, and all current data doesn't point to that. I don't think he is giving the liver proper credit for its resilience. Saying any amounts of alcohol is dangerous might be a good tactic to scare people into lower consumption, but I just don't take it at face value, especially considering the amount of scientists who state the contrary.

Quick Reply

Latest