The Student Room Group

St John Ambulance Society

Scroll to see replies

Had my interview about a month ago and my DBS also came a while ago....quite excited to begin training but this is taking aaages :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 941
Original post by ~Zahra~
Had my interview about a month ago and my DBS also came a while ago....quite excited to begin training but this is taking aaages :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey Zahra,

I have just had my induction training with SJA and it has taken a long old time. I went for interview at beginning of September and didn't know if I had been successful or not until end of September. So maybe email the HR department and they should be able to help you with where your application is etc. I have to admit that SJA seem to take quite a while to move things along but I guess that comes with being such a big organisation with little funding. Any questions in regards what to expect next then feel free to ask!

Jonathan
Original post by StDAJO
Hey Zahra,

I have just had my induction training with SJA and it has taken a long old time. I went for interview at beginning of September and didn't know if I had been successful or not until end of September. So maybe email the HR department and they should be able to help you with where your application is etc. I have to admit that SJA seem to take quite a while to move things along but I guess that comes with being such a big organisation with little funding. Any questions in regards what to expect next then feel free to ask!

Jonathan

Thanks for the advice Jonathan :smile: i contacted them and they told me they're still waiting for a reference. Hope i can start soon definitely looking forward to it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Question for people in SJA.

Say I want to become an ETA (don't we all), am already First Person on Scene Intermediate trained (I'm not, but planning to get trained this month), and am also a Community First Responder (again, I'm not, but I've signed myself up). Out of curiosity, how long would it take to reach the ETA stage?

I can manage to go to the weekly meetings, and can realistically dedicate a full weekday each week to duties and some weekends (as well as events, of course). I'll be volunteering to go on call as a CFR most likely 8 hours a day, every day (work from home). Obviously I'll be joining even if it takes forever/never reach ETA, but I'm just curious.

From having a look at the FA/AFA requirements, the skills that wouldn't be learned from the FPOS course are (everything else is covered):

Eye injury
Administration of medication [Not sure what this means, I know non-paras can't do cannulation - I think aspirin and paracetamol will be covered in FPOS though]
Mental Capacity Act (consent)
Meningitis
Abdominal pain [FPOS covers abdominal trauma]
Poisons

For AFA:
Blood oxygen measurement
Body temperature measurement
Entonox [Will be able to do oxygen]
Blood pressure measurement [Not professionally trained, but dad's a GP, been doing this one since I was 5, although I know that doesn't count for anything]
Carry chairs/sheets/furley/wheelchairs/ambulance trolley beds [Will be able to do spinal boards]

I'm 21, and hold a full UK d/l, no convictions or endorsements. Anyone got any idea on this? I'd be taking any courses as soon as they become available, although I know SJA can be a little disorganised from what I've heard.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by JoeTSR
Question for people in SJA.

Say I want to become an ETA (don't we all), am already First Person on Scene Intermediate trained (I'm not, but planning to get trained this month), and am also a Community First Responder (again, I'm not, but I've signed myself up). Out of curiosity, how long would it take to reach the ETA stage?

I can manage to go to the weekly meetings, and can realistically dedicate a full weekday each week to duties and some weekends (as well as events, of course). I'll be volunteering to go on call as a CFR most likely 8 hours a day, every day (work from home). Obviously I'll be joining even if it takes forever/never reach ETA, but I'm just curious.

From having a look at the FA/AFA requirements, the skills that wouldn't be learned from the FPOS course are (everything else is covered):

Eye injury
Administration of medication [Not sure what this means, I know non-paras can't do cannulation - I think aspirin and paracetamol will be covered in FPOS though]
Mental Capacity Act (consent)
Meningitis
Abdominal pain [FPOS covers abdominal trauma]
Poisons

For AFA:
Blood oxygen measurement
Body temperature measurement
Entonox [Will be able to do oxygen]
Blood pressure measurement [Not professionally trained, but dad's a GP, been doing this one since I was 5, although I know that doesn't count for anything]
Carry chairs/sheets/furley/wheelchairs/ambulance trolley beds [Will be able to do spinal boards]

I'm 21, and hold a full UK d/l, no convictions or endorsements. Anyone got any idea on this? I'd be taking any courses as soon as they become available, although I know SJA can be a little disorganised from what I've heard.

FPOS-I is a very very simple, monkey see monkey do course and is in fact pitched at a levle below that of the operational First aider, people get confused about this because FPOS-I includes Oxygen adminstration and may include basic airway management - which for SJA are and have been in the past at the 'advanced first aid ' level.

there is also a sense of wonderment from some people because you have pay money to the IHCD for theceritifcates for FPOS which in their tweisted little world makes them 'IHCD trained' like a 'real ambulanceman' :wink:

as an FPOS-I holder the only things that won't require at least some (re)training are

Primary Survey
CPR without adjuncts

there is very little actual first aid in FPOS -I

AED depends on the models in use if your CFR scheme and locla SJA use the same machines great - but very few SJA regions solely use one machine and if they do it probably isn;t the G3 that is the standard ( cheap, tacky and slow but it;s ticks the ORCON box) NHS CFR machine.

Medicines adminstration is nothing to do with cannulation.
there is a reasonable list of medications open to appropriately trained SJA members

-Oxygen
-Entonox
-Aspirin in chest pain
-paracetatmol
-ibuprofen
-an antihistamine ( lorataidine iirc)

meds adminstration also covers the management of hypoglycaemia

the use of patient;s own Adrenaline auto injector in anaphylaxis

I am unaware of any FPOS-I schemes which allow meds adminstration other than Oxygen , it;s the levle 4 / FPOS-Enhanced schemes that allow more meds

Realistically you are looking at around 2 years from walking in off the street to ETA as a volunteer , the reasons for this are mainly to do with making sure people consolidate their experience as first aiders and AFAs and build up some clinical acumen and credibility before ETA /EMT course - as the expectations of Emergency ambulance crew volunteers for SJA are at the same level as they are for a full time crew at the EMT /tech level regardless of whose badge they are wearing

( this is why the EMT syllabus now coming in includes things like 12 lead , glucometry , referral pathways etc)
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by zippyRN
FPOS-I is a very very simple, monkey see monkey do course and is in fact pitched at a levle below that of the operational First aider, people get confused about this because FPOS-I includes Oxygen adminstration and may include basic airway management - which for SJA are and have been in the past at the 'advanced first aid ' level.

there is also a sense of wonderment from some people because you have pay money to the IHCD for theceritifcates for FPOS which in their tweisted little world makes them 'IHCD trained' like a 'real ambulanceman' :wink:

as an FPOS-I holder the only things that won't require at least some (re)training are

Primary Survey
CPR without adjuncts

there is very little actual first aid in FPOS -I

AED depends on the models in use if your CFR scheme and locla SJA use the same machines great - but very few SJA regions solely use one machine and if they do it probably isn;t the G3 that is the standard ( cheap, tacky and slow but it;s ticks the ORCON box) NHS CFR machine.

Medicines adminstration is nothing to do with cannulation.
there is a reasonable list of medications open to appropriately trained SJA members

-Oxygen
-Entonox
-Aspirin in chest pain
-paracetatmol
-ibuprofen
-an antihistamine ( lorataidine iirc)

meds adminstration also covers the management of hypoglycaemia

the use of patient;s own Adrenaline auto injector in anaphylaxis

I am unaware of any FPOS-I schemes which allow meds adminstration other than Oxygen , it;s the levle 4 / FPOS-Enhanced schemes that allow more meds

Realistically you are looking at around 2 years from walking in off the street to ETA as a volunteer , the reasons for this are mainly to do with making sure people consolidate their experience as first aiders and AFAs and build up some clinical acumen and credibility before ETA /EMT course - as the expectations of Emergency ambulance crew volunteers for SJA are at the same level as they are for a full time crew at the EMT /tech level regardless of whose badge they are wearing

( this is why the EMT syllabus now coming in includes things like 12 lead , glucometry , referral pathways etc)

Firstly, thanks very much for the detailed and helpful response :smile:

Haha, don't worry, I know FPOS-I won't get me anywhere near ambulance standard!

Fair enough RE AEDs.

Medicines administration - I know Entonox definitely isn't covered, and I haven't heard Ibuprofen/Antihistamines (Pretty sure you're right about Loratadine, it was what I got given when I had a horrible rash on my leg a year or two ago at Glastonbury, and I'm fairly certain the guy diagnosing wasn't a GP, at least not a fully qualified one) being mentioned in regards to CFRs, but I've heard a lot of mentions of aspirin and paracetamol in regards to CFRs. Probably on the same SJA course though, so doesn't matter.

Seems you're right on Epipens, while SCAS CFR coursebook mentions it, it has an asterisk marking to only give it if suitably trained (implying only diagnosis and basic treatment is covered).

I've contacted my local CFR group, who've confirmed that you receive an FPOS-B equivalent course on joining anyway (skipping that if you've already done FPOS-I), and the SCAS coursebook (I'm in EAS' district) includes some extras from FPOS-I, excluding spine boards.

Good to know on the 2 year number, thanks.

Providing I get accepted to the local CFR group (I'm in a bit of a rural area), it seems it wouldn't be worth doing the FPOS course, as spine boards are the only thing it really adds. However, if I got rejected due to rurality, from a SJA perspective, would there be any value to a FPOS course? Or would a basic CPR course do the same thing in terms of advancement?
If SJA is recruiting in the District of the Region where you live you are unlikely to be rejected because of where you live.

Ignore anyone knocking SJA based on experience pre 2012 or anyone who rants about the change to regions means thry couldn't serve their community any more, just offer them some hard cheese and sour grapes to go with their whine.
Original post by zippyRN
If SJA is recruiting in the District of the Region where you live you are unlikely to be rejected because of where you live.

Ignore anyone knocking SJA based on experience pre 2012 or anyone who rants about the change to regions means thry couldn't serve their community any more, just offer them some hard cheese and sour grapes to go with their whine.

Yeah, I was more talking about the CFR scheme in terms of rejections, I called up EAS and they said they try to get people within 2 miles of the town centre (I'm 6.5) so that may be a bit iffy - was unsure whether, if I am too far out for the CFR scheme & training, a FPOS-I would be of value in terms of SJA, or whether a simple first aid course would provide the same value.

Good to hear they've improved, there's a lot of negative stuff online (mainly from jaded paramedics, it has to be said).
Paramedic moaning is usually because SJA are overtime thieves / scabs. Add in ignorance that the muppety end of the first aiders are just first aiders abd the closest they get to the SJA fleet is washing them .
Original post by zippyRN

Because we all know regionalisation is a whole new thread and a half! ;-)
I've been accepted to start as a first aider in January! Can't wait. How long does the first aid training take?
Original post by priyanka44
I've been accepted to start as a first aider in January! Can't wait. How long does the first aid training take?

Not half as long as it takes to become a member I can tell you that much.
Reply 952
Passed my pathway today to become a first aider!
Hey guys :smile:

So I got my Access NI checks back and so did SJA, this was november time so when roughly do you think i might hear back about starting training?
Original post by LadyEcliptic
Hey guys :smile:

So I got my Access NI checks back and so did SJA, this was november time so when roughly do you think i might hear back about starting training?

not sure if the Commandery of Ards is operating a system like Pathways -if it is it's going to be when the next pathways cohort reasonably near to you start.
best duty: Cambridge folk fest 2014
Anyone doing New Years eve in London tonight or other cities?
How competitive is it to get onto the StJohns volunteering programme?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Blacklens
How competitive is it to get onto the StJohns volunteering programme?

Posted from TSR Mobile

not especially, the current recruitment process is designed to aid progression to trained first aider status .
Hii All,

I have my St John volunteering interview on Tuesday (6th) Can anyone tell me what it's going to involve?

Thanks Guys!! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending