The Student Room Group

Official Vacation Scheme Thread 2015!!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mack3
It's a group discussion in teams and then with everyone at the AC (which in mine was about 6/7) and having to come to an agreement, for me that was the most straightforward part of the day. I'd say the most relaxed bit is lunch with trainees so make the most of that as well. Its a good day though

Oh, that does sound quite interesting - a sort of negotiation thing then :smile:
Reply 901
Anyone kind enough to shed some light on Hogan Lovells AC? Mainly interested in what questions the partners might ask.
Thanks. What was the written exercise - was that linked to the case study interview? I had a friend who interviewed last year but they had to review some terms and conditions and got quizzed on them and then separetely had a competency based interview but it sounds like they have changed it.
Original post by hp112
I interviewed for a TC at Linklaters year but I didn't accept the TC offer. My advice would be to beware taking too long on the 'in tray' exercise thing they do (presuming that's used for vac scheme applications) as everyone I know who has done it is really rushed for time, practice the Watson Glaser test as they do retest you in the office and also be prepared for the HR interview because although the it's not that complicated it was very competency heavy so be prepared for that too.

Hi please can I get detailed advice on the process? Mine is in a few days. thanks
Original post by hugo grotius
I went a couple of weeks ago and got an offer within six days.

Hi! please can I get detailed information on the process? Mine is in a few days. Thanks
Reply 905
Any advice on HSF AC? Or how to prepare for a case study presentation? Thank you!
Original post by mack3
It's a group discussion in teams and then with everyone at the AC (which in mine was about 6/7) and having to come to an agreement, for me that was the most straightforward part of the day. I'd say the most relaxed bit is lunch with trainees so make the most of that as well. Its a good day though

Sorry didn't reply directly...

Thanks. What was the written exercise - was that linked to the case study interview? I had a friend who interviewed last year but they had to review some terms and conditions and got quizzed on them and then separetely had a competency based interview but it sounds like they have changed it.
Reply 907
Original post by givemegoodnews
Sorry didn't reply directly...

The written exercise is separate from the interview. The document review is the interview bit (you get half an hour to read it through and then you have questions on it) with the competency interview at the end of it.
PFO Mishcon :frown:
Slaughter and May interview :smile:
Any word on slaughter's easter scheme
Original post by Kidioteque
Do CC notify you as to whether you've passed the verbal reasoning test and if your application will then be considered? If so, anyone know how quickly they do this?

(Reason I ask is that I seem to remember somebody earlier in the thread saying they had been told they passed, but not sure if I imagined it...)

Yeah they send you an email saying you passed and that your app will be processed (my email came 1 day after completing the test)
Original post by boing36
just had an interview at shearman & sterling - anyone in the same boat? do you know how long it'll take them to reject/accept ?!

Hey - good luck!!
& Could you describe their assessment day please? Thank you :smile:
Original post by 262fch
Anyone kind enough to shed some light on Hogan Lovells AC? Mainly interested in what questions the partners might ask.

I have a family friend who is an equity partner at Hogan Lovells who regularly gets involved in interviews for their vac schemes/TCs. A couple of questions he said to me that he would typically ask are things like:

What departments of Hogan Lovells may be used when working on an M&A deal and why?

Tell me about/talk me through what caused the financial crisis?

Nothing too challenging really but people will often be clueless/not answer these very well he said.
Could anyone provide more info on the Watson Glaser critical thinking test?
PFO from Weil and HSF

MoFo have sent me an email letting me know I've been passed on to the partner review stage
Original post by ScroogeHumbug
PFO from Weil and HSF

MoFo have sent me an email letting me know I've been passed on to the partner review stage

Congrats on the partner review stage! Who are MoFo? :tongue:

(edit: just searched, hadn't heard of them before!)

May I ask when you applied to Weil?

Original post by aliveoriginalmix
Hi,

Not sure if this had been discussed, just registered not so long ago.

Just want to understand this whole process:

If you go for a vac scheme, you are pretty much going for the selection for TC at the end.

I mean to think about it, it is really about putting all your eggs in one basket. Unless it is true that in your 3rd year you stand an equal chance in another vac scheme...

Has anyone been able to squeeze in 2 or more vac schemes during summer?

You can still apply for other TCs during the summer - and yeah some people do two or more vac schemes.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by aliveoriginalmix
Typically how long is one vac scheme? What I meant was due to clashes in timings it would be really difficult to fit 2 or more vac schemes isn't it?

And do you get another shot in next year or so?

Some are two weeks, some are three, and sometimes the dates are such that you can do two, although a lot do clash :smile:
How long does it take to hear from CMS?
Original post by ChoccyWoccy
Congrats on the partner review stage! Who are MoFo? :tongue:

(edit: just searched, hadn't heard of them before!)

May I ask when you applied to Weil?

Thank you :smile: I applied to Weil around the 20th of December. MoFo are pretty interesting, think of them as the American version of Bird & Bird but with significantly deeper pockets (I believe Apple is one of their clients)

Amusingly, Weil's PFO's are more of a FO. It's just three sentences: "Thank you for you're application to Weil. Your application has been unsuccesful. Best of luck for the future"
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending