The Student Room Group

Deadly gun attack in Paris: Global reactions & discussion

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Who else think that the newspaper was stupid to almost bring this onto themselves? Why do something that you know will provoke a reaction from extremists? My sympathies to those who suffered for this.
Reply 21
Ugh, again with the terrorism? Stay classy Islam.
Original post by Radicalathiest
Really you don't see the need!

Isn't the murder of these people enough for us to show we will not be silenced by violence and regardless we will defend and even (god forbid) practice the freedoms we have fought long and hard for (usually against the religious doctrines that detest these very freedoms)

My point is that if people would like to view the cartoons they can find them easily on the wider internet, there is no need for TSR to host these images.

This thread isn't about viewing the images created that may or may not be the reason behind the attack - it's about discussing the story as it unfolds - no one has owned up to the attack as of yet so although it is fair to speculate objectively I don't agree that we need to post numerous cartoons and start aggressively pointing the finger at groups of people or a faith. Yes this there is history to suggest that this could be a attack carried out by radicalists action but these are members of society that use religion to justify such action and it certainly isn't fair to generalise.
Original post by hahahoran18
'The prophet has been avenged...' surely only the most uneducated of people believe this has anything to do with Islam.... :eek:

Posted from TSR Mobile

how can it not have anythign to do with islam when this is the sort of stuff "Sheikh of Islam" Ibn Taymiya said

Muhaarabah (waging war against Islam) is of two types: physical and verbal. Waging war verbally against Islam may be worse than waging war physically as stated above hence the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) used to kill those who waged war against Islam verbally, whilst letting off some of those who waged war against Islam physically. This ruling is to be applied more strictly after the death of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). Mischief may be caused by physical action or by words, but the damage caused by words is many times greater than that caused by physical action; and the goodness achieved by words in reforming may be many times greater than that achieved by physical action. It is proven that waging war against Allaah and His Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) verbally is worse and the efforts on earth to undermine religion by verbal means is more effective.

Al-Saarim al-Maslool, 3/735
'The prophet has been avenged'....more ****ty bollywood than anything really to do with islam...

Posted from TSR Mobile

how can it not have anythign to do with islam when this is the sort of stuff "Sheikh of Islam" Ibn Taymiya said

Muhaarabah (waging war against Islam) is of two types: physical and verbal. Waging war verbally against Islam may be worse than waging war physically as stated above hence the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) used to kill those who waged war against Islam verbally, whilst letting off some of those who waged war against Islam physically. This ruling is to be applied more strictly after the death of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). Mischief may be caused by physical action or by words, but the damage caused by words is many times greater than that caused by physical action; and the goodness achieved by words in reforming may be many times greater than that achieved by physical action. It is proven that waging war against Allaah and His Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) verbally is worse and the efforts on earth to undermine religion by verbal means is more effective.

Al-Saarim al-Maslool, 3/735

Ibn Kathir:

"The punishment of those who wage war against Allah and His messenger and strive to make mischief in the land is only this, that they should be killed" - 5:33

`Wage war' mentioned here means, oppose and contradict, and it includes disbelief,"
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by She-Ra
My point is that if people would like to view the cartoons they can find them easily on the wider internet, there is no need for TSR to host these images.

This thread isn't about viewing the images created that may or may not be the reason behind the attack - it's about discussing the story as it unfolds - no one has owned up to the attack as of yet so although it is fair to speculate objectively I don't agree that we need to post numerous cartoons and start aggressively pointing the finger at groups of people or a faith. Yes this there is history to suggest that this could be a attack carried out by radicalists action but these are members of society that use religion to justify such action and it certainly isn't fair to generalise.

Adding onto She-Ra's post, this thread is not to be used for religious debate or bashing Islam. All such posts will be removed and subject to being carded.
Original post by Reluire
Adding onto She-Ra's post, this thread is not to be used for religious debate or bashing Islam. All such posts will be removed and subject to being carded.

:s-smilie::s-smilie: it was a religious attack on those who insulted religion
Original post by kushmakush
why are mods removing my post quoting one of the most influential islamic scholars about attacking islam verbally?

Im not being allowed to answer you either.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Please see Reluires post.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=52723319&postcount=22
Original post by She-Ra

Rot. They are relevant to the thread and as you can see we have already had someone asking to view them

But could suggest!

'The prophet has been avenged'....

Well yes it could have been a Jew or Catholic :rolleyes:

But cowardice is abhorrent in this situation and a sad day for TSR when rather than defending Freedom of Expression you bow to the savage to prevent 'offense'
:s-smilie::s-smilie: it was a religious attack on those who insulted religion

Yes, but this is a discussion of the event, not of Islam. Debate of Islamic scripture belongs in the Religion forum, not here. We're not saying Islam can't be mentioned, but we don't want this thread to escalate into a fully fledged religious debate.
Original post by Dexa
Who else think that the newspaper was stupid to almost bring this onto themselves? Why do something that you know will provoke a reaction from extremists? My sympathies to those who suffered for this.

because we stand up to thugs like this

I suspect when you say 'sympathies to those who suffered for this' you don't mean the dead given you think they also brought this on themselves
why are mods removing my post quoting one of the most influential islamic scholars about attacking islam verbally?

Because it seems the truth is unpalatable for some
Rot. They are relevant to the thread and as you can see we have already had someone asking to view them

But could suggest!

'The prophet has been avenged'....

Well yes it could have been a Jew or Catholic :rolleyes:

But cowardice is abhorrent in this situation and a sad day for TSR when rather than defending Freedom of Expression you bow to the savage to prevent 'offense'

As an admin, I'm guessing she actually works for TSR. If that's the case I'd also be wary of being present in the headquarters of a fairly prominent website that's hosting cartoons of Mohammed on a day like this! :afraid:
Original post by Reluire
Yes, but this is a discussion of the event, not of Islam. Debate of Islamic scripture belongs in the Religion forum, not here. We're not saying Islam can't be mentioned, but we don't want this thread to escalate into a fully fledged religious debate.

wot lol islam is kind of like linked very heavily to the event :s-smilie:

if your gonna remove my post reponding to someone saying its got nothing to do with islam then you might as well remove that post i respnded to
The shouts of "the prophet has been avenged" along with the historic attacks by Muslim groups on freedom of speech (Rushdie, Danish cartoonists etc.) make it fairly obvious the perpetrators were Muslims.

Original post by Dexa

That's a reprehensible position. The newspaper were well within their rights to post those cartoons and should not be censored through terrorism. The principle of free speech should be protected and not abandoned because of such scumbags.
My bad bro...apologies. well seems we both agree on selafis...and yes there are extreme 'sheiks' who selafis quote and follow to the word. Its just not what the average civilised western muslim believes as im sure u understand.

Posted from TSR Mobile

problem is that Taymiya is like respected by so many people including most of the ISOC on tsr

ask them to condemn him and most wont
Original post by smegma_butty
As an admin, I'm guessing she actually works for TSR. If that's the case I'd also be wary of being present in the headquarters of a fairly prominent website that's hosting cartoons of Mohammed on a day like this! :afraid:

True but then I've always found cowardice in the face of thuggery abhorrent so they'll get little sympathy if that is the case
Reply 37
Original post by IceJJFish(II)
Why associate with such a company then?

well for a start I wouldn't consider "people exercising basic freedom of speech" as "such company", and they probably associated with them because they need a job to buy food and didn't think anybody would be as idiotic as to shoot them for it. Do you seriously believe those people, who probably actually had nothing to do with the comic in question, deserved to die? You are disgusting.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 38
because we stand up to thugs like this

I suspect when you say 'sympathies to those who suffered for this' you don't mean the dead given you think they also brought this on themselves

Is it really standing up at the expense of innocent lives?

Well ultimately it would the head of the magazine that would agree to publish the material, so it was his call in the end. The workers are simply doing their job. I thought it was stupid that they publish such a thing at a time of already raised racial and religious unrest in the city.
Original post by IceJJFish(II)
Why associate with such a company then?

People should be intimidated to enter certain buildings because some mentalists can't take a few cartoons and have to respond with mass murder? :biggrin:

I hope you're joking.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending