The Student Room Group

Official Vacation Scheme Thread 2015!!!

Scroll to see replies

Are the 'tours of the office and coffee with a current trainee' a factor which feed into the decision making process?

(Especially for firms which may just conduct 1 30/40 minute interview.
Does anyone know with word counts whether applications cut you off at the word count - once you save it? The reason I ask is that my laptop counts words differently for some reason and doesn't always provide the correct word count.
Original post by J-SP
If it's an online application form, then usually, yes

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you!
Original post by Kidioteque
Yeah I have - it was fairly straightforward, if a little bit unsettling due to the interviewer's manner.

I got asked the standard questions (why commercial law?; why Hogan Lovells?) followed by some competency questions. I don't remember all the competencies I was asked about, but one was definitely "overcoming obstacles", which I found a bit tricky. Finally they tested commercial awareness with a question about current affairs - mine was regarding the Ukraine crisis.

All the best and let me know if you have any further questions - I'll do my best to help :smile:

Thanks, that's incredibly helpful! A massive congratulations on your offer from them as well, I'll definitely message you again if I have further queries :smile:
Original post by Kidioteque
Offer from Hogan Lovells! :smile:

Congrats mate :cool:
Original post by hugo grotius
No, sorry. I would have been happy to answer a few general questions but I'm not going to sit here and type out every question they asked.

Oh! All done now, thank you.
How long does it take to hear back from freshfields roughly?
Original post by givemegoodnews

I'm wondering this too.

Original post by Chianti1
I'm wondering this too.

I think they tend to be fairly quick, within a week or two :smile:
Original post by ChoccyWoccy
I think they tend to be fairly quick, within a week or two :smile:

I'm wondering this too.

I completed the verbal reasoning test and was invited to interview around a week or so after, hope this helps.
Original post by mcrlawstudent
I completed the verbal reasoning test and was invited to interview around a week or so after, hope this helps.

Thanks
Original post by mcrlawstudent

Thanks, that's a great help. When did you submit your application?

They are usually quick, however do bear in mind that they might be a bit slow given they have probably received 2000 applications.

Put into perspective, since they say they read ALL applications, let's assume they spend a maximum of 20 mins per application. This brings us to a total of around 40,000 mins which is 666.7 hours or 27.8 days total spent merely reading applications. Obviously this is split amongst a team of recruiters, but my point is do not expect them to be extraordinarily fast. :smile:
Thanks, that's a great help. When did you submit your application?

I submitted on 03/12/2014, completed the test around 7th/8th and got an interview invite on the 15th. My interview isn't until the end of this month though, as I have exams up until the 24th!
I'm wondering this too.

I heard back about a week after I did my verbal reasoning test, and received an offer a couple of working days later - they're pretty good with being prompt. As it says on their website, they'll still be responding within 2 weeks, regardless of the inevitably large number of applications they'll have received leading up to the deadline.
Jones day email letting me know they've requested a reference

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by boing36
Jones day email letting me know they've requested a reference

Posted from TSR Mobile

Me too - though they make it sound like they're near the end of recruiting this cycle

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TrainingChopeful
Hey - I am an LPC graduate and have been applying for Vac Schemes :smile: there are some that are only open to people at certain points in their education but there are also lots that are open to people who are further on.

Brilliant! It is very reassuring to know that there are lots of others out there who have completed their undergrad/LPC and are applying for Vac Schemes.

If you don't mind me asking what kind of role are you doing at the moment? Paralegal?

:cool:
I seem to have been very unlucky - been rejected (pre-interview) from 4 firms now! Is this usual? (No offers of an interview yet either)........

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending