The Student Room Group

Economics applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by NinjaPandaa
True but it's not all about money, I'd love to be a financial/economic journalist

Posted from TSR Mobile

:love:

Congrats on your offers btw.
Original post by NikolaT
:love:

Congrats on your offers btw.

Haha thanks :smile: you heard from many places yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Offer from Nottingham :biggrin:
Original post by Skill Twix
Offer from Nottingham :biggrin:

Congratulations!! What's the offer? Just warwick and Bristol for you to hear from now :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Congratulations!! What's the offer? Just warwick and Bristol for you to hear from now :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

A*AA.
Warwick sent me an email yesterday!They hadn't received my predicted grades somehow!Had to send them again!
Thank you :smile:
Haha thanks :smile: you heard from many places yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, all 4 places I applied to got back to me last year. Apart from a pre-interview rejection from Oxford I got offers from everywhere and am now trying to settle on a firm (Bath v Exeter).
Original post by NikolaT
Yes, all 4 places I applied to got back to me last year. Apart from a pre-interview rejection from Oxford I got offers from everywhere and am now trying to settle on a firm (Bath v Exeter).

Ooh bath is so nice it's so pretty, Exeter is an absolute trek from where I live so no idea about there haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
A*AA.
Warwick sent me an email yesterday!They hadn't received my predicted grades somehow!Had to send them again!
Thank you :smile:

God what a nightmare with warwick, well done with notts though

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ooh bath is so nice it's so pretty, Exeter is an absolute trek from where I live so no idea about there haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm actually from the North, so both are several hours away from me by almost all forms of transport. XD

Pretty much everyone I know think it's an odd choice but the truth is I just had very specific criteria when picking my choices.
Original post by NikolaT
I'm actually from the North, so both are several hours away from me by almost all forms of transport. XD

Pretty much everyone I know think it's an odd choice but the truth is I just had very specific criteria when picking my choices.

Ooh I'm keen to hear your criteria, I had specific criteria too that made it easy to cut my choices down (although camb doesn't actch fit it haha)

Posted from TSR Mobile
London's waveyyy, don't choose Oxbridge just because of the name, mate. London unis are soo reputable as well, especially LSE, King's and UCL. The atmosphere you get, the experiences that there are to have and everything that London has to offer make up for the higher living costs, which people exaggerate anyway imo. You'll love it here

Of course, going to Cambridge or Oxford would be amazing in terms of the degree, job prospects etc., but you have to understand that the workload and environment, and the cities, aren't for everyone. I'm not sure how true this is but I'm also guessing that the kinds of people you'd meet at the London unis especially would be much more eclectic than those you'd find at Oxbridge.

In reply to jchap btw lmao
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by nétajcr
London's waveyyy, don't choose Oxbridge just because of the name, mate. London unis are soo reputable as well, especially LSE, King's and UCL. The atmosphere you get, the experiences that there are to have and everything that London has to offer make up for the higher living costs, which people exaggerate anyway imo. You'll love it here

Of course, going to Cambridge or Oxford would be amazing in terms of the degree, job prospects etc., but you have to understand that the workload and environment, and the cities, aren't for everyone. I'm not sure how true this is but I'm also guessing that the kinds of people you'd meet at the London unis especially would be much more eclectic than those you'd find at Oxbridge.

Great advice!
Original post by nétajcr

My man! Mate London is a must for me and I'm defo going next year, be it ucl or lse. Are you already at uni then? I'm guessing it's as sick as it seems 😁😁 defo want to join the AU for the unlimited amount of fun that it brings haha
Great advice!

Thanks, man 👌
Original post by nétajcr

This post makes me too happy
Original post by tomixox
This post makes me too happy

^^^ PRSOM
Original post by jchap9776
My man! Mate London is a must for me and I'm defo going next year, be it ucl or lse. Are you already at uni then? I'm guessing it's as sick as it seems 😁😁 defo want to join the AU for the unlimited amount of fun that it brings haha

Haha, great choices mate! Excellent unis, right in the heart of London as well! Nah, I'm not in uni yet, I'm in year 13 applying to go - it should be great 👊 Definitely bags of fun to be had in London man, no question.
As for me, I'm looking to do the opposite and move out of London, just for a bit of a change really. Currently having a 'mare 'cause I want to change the course I'm gonna do at uni after already having sent off UCAS and everything but, in terms of my new course, Sheffield, Cardiff, Nottingham do it and I've read good things about all of them so 👌
Anyways, life story complete, good choice with those unis, man. You can't go wrong!
Original post by jchap9776

Haha, great choices mate! Excellent unis, right in the heart of London as well! Nah, I'm not in uni yet, I'm in year 13 applying to go - it should be great 👊 Definitely bags of fun to be had in London man, no question.
As for me, I'm looking to do the opposite and move out of London, just for a bit of a change really. Currently having a 'mare 'cause I want to change the course I'm gonna do at uni after already having sent off UCAS and everything but, in terms of my new course, Sheffield, Cardiff, Nottingham do it and I've read good things about all of them so 👌

Anyways, life story complete, good choice with those unis, man. You can't go wrong!
Reply 2558
*Fast forward 9 months*

I am taken a gap year and looking to re apply to UCL, LSE, Cambridge and Warwick

- I have 5A*4A at GCSE level
- I have 4A* at A-Level in economics (91.5%), maths (90.0%), F. Maths (92.0%) and physics (90.0%)
- Spent gap year volunteering in Tanzania (also climbed Mt. Kilimanjaro)and Asia and have also gained a 10week internship in an investment bank for the summer and have spent the rest of the year in an asset-management firm and an economics consultant firm
- In target 2.0 team, (past first round so far)
- Also a strong rower and looking to compete in the British Rowing Championships in the near future

What do you think are my chances for Cambridge and LSE especially? (considering gap year)

Thanks
Original post by nétajcr

Cheers mate, ah fair enough - I can imagine that after living in London it's worth a bit of a change, what course are you switching to? Heard good stuff about all those unis g, social life there is supposed to pretty buzzing! 🎉 thanks again bud and good luck with your applications 👍

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending