The Student Room Group

Being told to smile or "cheer up luv" on the street by men

Anyone else really fed up with being constantly told to cheer up or to smile by complete strangers? :angry: It always seems to be scummy old men or chavs who feel like they can say this :indiff:

I used to find it funny and awkward but it's happening most times I go out now. It's especially annoying because I'm actually really happy. Are we just meant to be walking along the street grinning all the time? :rolleyes:

Have any guys had this happen to them? Is it only men that say this or has a woman said something similar to you?

Scroll to see replies

As a guy, this has never happened to me. I'd probably appreciate it though, but I can understand how it'd get a little grating if you heard it all the time.
I've had old ladies tell me similar things a couple of times before.

Both times I was actually feeling pretty down, but I didn't really mind. I took it more as advice than a criticism.
Yep happens all the time, never had a woman say it too me.
Reply 4
Because those are the men that think women are to be a walking advertisement of themselves 24/7 and thus when you're letting yourself down they are slightly annoyed and say that.

Just a thought.
Reply 5
Ever attempted to make a pterodactyl screech at guys who do that? Lemme know how that goes :biggrin:
Omg yes! :eek:

All the freaking time. It's actually getting on my bloody nerves. I'm not even angry or sad or anything...it's mostly older men and like you said you'd get the occasional chav in there too. My face whenever it happens basically ---> :erm:
Yes. I find it really insensitive.. What if you had just lost a loved one or had experienced a break up? They have no right to ultimately tell you how you should or shouldn't be feeling. I find it patronising too.
Reply 8
Ahhhh hate that. Usually when it happens to me it's from builders and those type.... It's just embarrassing really :s-smilie:
I don't think I've ever been told to cheer up by random men on the street. Although somebody did once say to me 'Cheer up it might never happen' which was annoying.
Original post by DeadGirlsDance
Anyone else really fed up with being constantly told to cheer up or to smile by complete strangers? :angry: It always seems to be scummy old men or chavs who feel like they can say this :indiff:

I used to find it funny and awkward but it's happening most times I go out now. It's especially annoying because I'm actually really happy. Are we just meant to be walking along the street grinning all the time? :rolleyes:

Some lady asked if I was okay because when I walk I seem miserable as **** apparently. Exactly, I'm I suppose to walk everyone with a cheeky smile on my face like a madman?The weather is ****, how can one smile -_-
(edited 9 years ago)
Cheer up or it'll never happen :h:
I get that a lot because my natural resting face looks bitchy or moody. It annoys me when they say that but usually I have my headphones on and music playing when I'm out now so I don't hear them any more :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hal.E.Lujah
Cheer up or it'll never happen :h:

i think you mean "cheer up. it might never happen."

i'm a geezer but sorta the same thing, i get told i look pissed off 99% of the time.
Cheer up luv
Original post by Emily.97
Yes. I find it really insensitive.. What if you had just lost a loved one or had experienced a break up? They have no right to ultimately tell you how you should or shouldn't be feeling. I find it patronising too.

Completely agree with this, I was having an awful day once and believe me I had every right to look like a miserable **** on that occasion. And yet again another scumbag guy decided to tell me to cheer up baby while winking at me in the most sleazy way I wanted to smack the bastard across the face. "Men" like that disgust me.
YES X 1000!!!

Only men have said this to me, mainly older men. It's annoying because it makes me feel as if, as a female, I should be walking around with a happy chappy smile just to please them. What right do they have anyway? They are complete and utter strangers. What if I was sad because someone had just died? Fair enough if you know me and have seen me looking upset (although, honestly, I just have a miserable resting face and am actually quite happy). I usually get the "luv" tag at the end: cheer up, love *skin crawls with anger* haha :biggrin:
Reply 17
Can't speak from personal experience, but this used to happen to my Mum when she was in her late teens all the time, and she also hated it. She did not feel unhappy, but people (cockney blokes) would still say things like 'Cheer up luv. It might never 'appen'.

She then said that they were probably picking up on her inner depression that came from the fact that her parents had recently died - perhaps something that a smile cannot disguise.
Doesn't happen to me but when my mum was growing up she lived in quite a small place so the bus driver was the same every day, and EVERY DAY he used to tell her to 'cheer up luv'!

She got so annoyed that one day she said 'don't expect me to cheer up, my parents have just died' (they hadn't). :O

He never told her to cheer up again!! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I personally think it's a nice thing for somebody to say :s

Quick Reply

Latest