The Student Room Group

Dolls' House compared to Bell Jar?

Hi,

For my NEA, I'm thinking of comparing A Doll's House to the Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath. Anyone who's studied this in school (even just the bell jar!), if you could drop any quotes, analysis or advice, I would be really grateful! Thanks!
Original post by studylise
Hi,

For my NEA, I'm thinking of comparing A Doll's House to the Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath. Anyone who's studied this in school (even just the bell jar!), if you could drop any quotes, analysis or advice, I would be really grateful! Thanks!

Hiya,
I am doing Bell Jar for extra reading in English Lit a-level. I strongly recommend watching YT vids that analyse the books. That is what I did and it was really helpful.
Key themes: Women's roles in 1950's America, mental health, marriage, sex and careers. I would also say adulthood but that wasn't mentioned in many videos that I watched.
Uses symbolism throughout book a lot.
Symbol 1: "bell jar" - symbolises the claustrophobia of life, societal expectations and pressure that effects her. She faces clinical depression and often isolates herself from others.
Symbol 2: "fig tree" - choices and indecision throughout life. https://pin.it/6uOjVmX (some bell jar quotes are saved on this board, including the fig tree metaphor. I will save more soon aswell)

OPENING:
dream job, off to New York. She should feel independent and excited to do what she has always wanted to. Gets to know everyone but somehow feels disconnected.
- mental health
- bell jar... she sees everyone but enclosed in this bell jar as if she is not really there. The feeling of disconnection and being withdrawn from the situation is evidence of her mental health problems.

Doesn't know what she wants:
parties ... not having fun
guys ... she doesn't like them - she doesn't understand, confused. She does not meet societal expectations of women's roles. She doesn't want marriage or children.
CONFLICT - pressure to be perfect girl. of marrying age. Pressure to fulfil responsibilities. Pressure from Buddy's parents - they want the children to marry.

THEME: SEX AND MARRIAGE
buddy - perfect man of the era - intelligent, career ahead of him, athletic, good-looking
at first thinks he is perfect guy - gets to know him and he is not that great ... just like internship
CONFLICT: sexual expectations of men and women
-he had sex but it wasn't in a committed relationship
- she has been told to never have sex before marriage - hypocrisy of the time between genders.

The only time tenderness is associated with sex in the novel is in a lesbian couple... no man involved (quote on pinterest board... soz can't be bothered to type them all out)

Polar opposites of the men she encounters:
Constantine:
nice guy, she likes him, he doesn't make a move
Marco:
met at party, mysoginistic, he tries to r*pe her.
..... Idea that yuou can't have it all. The perfect family image of the 50's is not attainable.
assertive and kind, family and career, love, be loved and be free

Sex with Irwin:
nothing to do with the guy, liberating (she wanted to lose her virginity)
doesnt want to see him again after.
virginity - symbol of hypocrisy and social burden... social expectations and constraints

Theme: mental health
Esther atytempts similar to those of sylvia plath herself
see how depression is presented - like a spiral down the drain
at fist, not presented as sadness: just detachment
just going through motion of life rather absently
THEN
other signs of depression: crying, not being able to sleep, not showering/washing clothes... lack of care/conscience, lack of motivation

Dr Gordon
Psychiatrist
doesnt listen - just sends her for elctrical shock treatment
asks her mum - total disregard for her

Her mum - ashamed that daughter has suicidal thoughts
Dr Nolan:
reconnects with herself
starts to mourn/grieve father
acknowledges how frustrating mother is

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending