The Student Room Group

Being told to smile or "cheer up luv" on the street by men

Scroll to see replies

Original post by louieee
I personally think it's a nice thing for somebody to say :s

Completely depends on the context, and when it comes to strangers 99% of the time it is not appreciated, and often comes off as very creepy, sleazy and depending on the environment can be scary.
Original post by SophieSmall
Completely agree with this, I was having an awful day once and believe me I had every right to look like a miserable **** on that occasion. And yet again another scumbag guy decided to tell me to cheer up baby while winking at me in the most sleazy way I wanted to smack the bastard across the face. "Men" like that disgust me.

Exactly!!!
Like the thread started said(I apologise, I can't remember your name), do these expect us to be grinning from ear to ear as were walking down the street?! :s-smilie:
Original post by DeadGirlsDance
Anyone else really fed up with being constantly told to cheer up or to smile by complete strangers? :angry: It always seems to be scummy old men or chavs who feel like they can say this :indiff:

I used to find it funny and awkward but it's happening most times I go out now. It's especially annoying because I'm actually really happy. Are we just meant to be walking along the street grinning all the time? :rolleyes:

Have any guys had this happen to them? Is it only men that say this or has a woman said something similar to you?

I've never seen anyone just walk down the street and say this to anyone. But I don't get out much.
Original post by Emily.97
Exactly!!!
Like the thread started said(I apologise, I can't remember your name), do these expect us to be grinning from ear to ear as were walking down the street?! :s-smilie:

**** knows what those people expect from us, but they're going to be waiting a long god damn time if they're expecting me to crack as smile and their sleazy ass.
The only time I've seen this happen is when customers tell my work friend to cheer up.

But she's miserable as f*** so it's kind of her own fault :tongue:
Original post by Grantland
As a guy, this has never happened to me. I'd probably appreciate it though, but I can understand how it'd get a little grating if you heard it all the time.

Original post by louieee

Meh the way it's said makes it seem like it's not meant in a nice way. Like it's said in a way to call you a grumpy cow or something :lol:
Original post by awkwardshortguy
I've never seen anyone just walk down the street and say this to anyone. But I don't get out much.

Something I have noticed over the years, though am not sure if the people who do it to us notice themselves. But often times the men who do this will almost exclusively only do this to women who are alone, or at a push with another woman (though never an older woman who could be a mother or aunt). I have never been told to cheer up or had sleazy comments from men when I have been with guys or in a large group, and not often in busy places. So it's not surprising you haven't noticed it, and it's not surprising my male friends sometimes can't believe the amount we women get told to cheer up in this sleazy manner or on the other hand get given derogatory or sexually motivated comments, because they simple don't do it within your earshot the majority of the time.
Original post by Hal.E.Lujah
Cheer up or it'll never happen :h:

Haha they wound me up a lot :lol:

Original post by og.east
i think you mean "cheer up. it might never happen."

i'm a geezer but sorta the same thing, i get told i look pissed off 99% of the time.

I think he's on about what two drunk men said that to me the other day. Haha they were either so drunk that they got the line wrong (they had cans of beer in their hands) or they meant something else...
Reply 28
Original post by louieee

A checklist to keep in mind before you compliment a stranger on the street:

1. Is it really necessary?
2. Would the lack of your comment affect their day negatively?
3. Are you sure they may not just have received news that's nothing to be happy about, and thus telling them to cheer up could actually make them feel worse?
4. Could you be mistaking a 'natural resting face' for one of unhappiness? And they could be perfectly content but their face doesn't need to show it?
5. Is it really necessary, like really?

[[PS: Best keep it to friends, "why aren't you smiling" isn't the best conversation starter when meeting people"]]
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by BitWindy
I've had old ladies tell me similar things a couple of times before.
This haha :lol: I guess it can get a bit annoying dependent on how it's said/how often but in my case I think they were just trying to be friendly so I took it positively :smile:
Original post by Ruthless Dutchman
Ever attempted to make a pterodactyl screech at guys who do that? Lemme know how that goes :biggrin:

I do actually want to do something like this :lol:. Or say in my deepest and most monotonous voice possible "I'm smiling on the inside". :rofl: I'm not sure I would be able to keep a straight enough face to pull it off though.
Ugh, all the time! Why do they do that? Like.. why?
Original post by DeadGirlsDance

I think he's on about what two drunk men said that to me the other day. Haha they were either so drunk that they got the line wrong (they had cans of beer in their hands) or they meant something else...

oh ok
Original post by Lady Comstock
Cheer up luv

Hahaha! :lol: Wondered who would be the first
I get this quite a lot. I've been told than my 'thinking face' is pretty serious/moody-looking.. it's just what my face does. Ironically enough, being told to "cheer up" by strangers (and yes, it's *always* men) tends to make me go from sanguine to grumpy, rather than the other way round. Like.. my face is not a ****ing ornament for your perusal; it's not my job to be aesthetically pleasing for the enjoyment of passers-by.

For anyone who thinks these people are 'just being nice' - they're not. They're really not. Nice people would actually ask "are you okay?" rather than treating you like an aspect of their landscape that isn't quite meeting their approbation.
Original post by Ruthless Dutchman
A checklist to keep in mind before you compliment a stranger on the street:

1. Is it really necessary?
2. Would the lack of your comment affect their day negatively?
3. Are you sure they may not just have received news that's nothing to be happy about, and thus telling them to cheer up could actually make them feel worse?
4. Could you be mistaking a 'natural resting face' for one of unhappiness? And they could be perfectly content but their face doesn't need to show it?
5. Is it really necessary, like really?

[[PS: Best keep it to friends, "why aren't you smiling" isn't the best conversation starter when meeting people"]]

I enjoy your presence on this website. Right on the ball every time.
Reply 36
They call this street harassment in america. Not sure if this is an accurate characterisation or just a tad bit overboard... in any case though, it's very unpleasant and inapropriate.
Original post by SophieSmall
Something I have noticed over the years, though am not sure if the people who do it to us notice themselves. But often times the men who do this will almost exclusively only do this to women who are alone, or at a push with another woman (though never an older woman who could be a mother or aunt). I have never been told to cheer up or had sleazy comments from men when I have been with guys or in a large group, and not often in busy places. So it's not surprising you haven't noticed it, and it's not surprising my male friends sometimes can't believe the amount we women get told to cheer up in this sleazy manner or on the other hand get given derogatory or sexually motivated comments, because they simple don't do it within your earshot the majority of the time.

I wonder why they say it at all. Maybe they get a kick out of making people feel uncomfortable and that is easiest when no-one is around.
I have a super angry face whenever I'm not smiling so I get a lot of stares whenever I walk around alone. If people actually try to tell me to cheer up I laugh really loud and sarcastically to piss them off and then walk away, they don't know it but they've just made me smile :smile:
Original post by awkwardshortguy
I wonder why they say it at all. Maybe they get a kick out of making people feel uncomfortable and that is easiest when no-one is around.

I'd assume it is probably something like that, like you said enjoying to make others uncomfortable or to like feel powerful over others. And in the situations where they come off as very creepy and it can be scary for those on the receiving end, I don't doubt for a second they know how horrible they're being, they probably just get off on it.

Quick Reply

Latest