The Student Room Group

Holocaust memorial day posters defaced in East London

Scroll to see replies

I'm not so sure. I think there has been a lot of unfounded, unfair hysteria of anti-Jewish hatred. These stories of Jews 'fleeing' Paris & schools guarded by officers etc.
Original post by Catholic_
I'm not so sure. I think there has been a lot of unfounded, unfair hysteria of anti-Jewish hatred. These stories of Jews 'fleeing' Paris & schools guarded by officers etc.

What do you mean? Do you doubt the validity of the vandalism?
Original post by BitWindy
What do you mean? Do you doubt the validity of the vandalism?

Posters have been attacked. Posters. Think this through for a second.

Yes, it may have been driven by hatred, but I believe the coverage of anti-semetism is very forced.
No hate crime
Original post by K1NG93
No hate crime

Why not?

I'm Suprised the guardian covered this.

Sadly anti semetism seems to be on the rise again. A depressed economy usy brings it out to play, but iran have been quite good at pushing it whilst the left wing have embraced the plight of the Palestinians because Israel
Is an American ally.
It's repulsive and completely disrespectful. But I believe there is an ulterior motive (a different issue altogether).
This is what tends to happen when you transform a homogeneous nation state into a microcosm of world "diversity".

Not that we need a "Holocaust" memorial day anyway, if you ask the average school child about WW2 they won't be able to name any other victims than "the Jews".
Reply 9
It's one of those things that I remain genuinely shocked by. That someone person can be so twisted as to take one of the greatest human tragedies of modern times and belittle it.

There is rarely a low to which some nutter will not stoop.
Original post by L i b
It's one of those things that I remain genuinely shocked by. That someone person can be so twisted as to take one of the greatest human tragedies of modern times and belittle it.

There is rarely a low to which some nutter will not stoop.

You just have to read a couple of entries in this thread to see the extent of the problem and how ingrained it is in Europe.

Go to the far east and they don't even really know what anti-semitism is. They can't comprehend Jew hatred. The Chinese, Vietnamese, Japanese etc don't really understand it even if you explain it to them.

It's a European disease now exacerbated by Islamic immigration.
Original post by thesabbath
This is what tends to happen when you transform a homogeneous nation state into a microcosm of world "diversity".

Not that we need a "Holocaust" memorial day anyway, if you ask the average school child about WW2 they won't be able to name any other victims than "the Jews".

The Holocaust was by far the worst thing that has happened in recent history. We learn about the Jews as the mains victims because they were the main victims (2/3 killed in the holocaust were Jewish).
Original post by thesabbath

That just means we need to do better in terms of education.
Reply 13
Original post by LockheedSpooky
You just have to read a couple of entries in this thread to see the extent of the problem and how ingrained it is in Europe.

Go to the far east and they don't even really know what anti-semitism is. They can't comprehend Jew hatred. The Chinese, Vietnamese, Japanese etc don't really understand it even if you explain it to them.

I'm not really sure I understand it. When I think back, there were Jewish people at my school. In the main, they popped along to chapel on the occasions we had to and sung along with the hymns - I suspect they took it as seriously as the ostensibly Christian majority, which is not very seriously at all.

Aside from that, there was little or nothing different about them. I can understand racism to some extent - children inevitably pick on difference and attack it - but there wasn't really any difference here at all. That's what I find so baffling about anti-Semitism: I've worked with people for sometimes very long periods as an adult without so much as guessing they're Jewish until it comes up in conversation or something.
Original post by james22
The Holocaust was by far the worst thing that has happened in recent history. We learn about the Jews as the mains victims because they were the main victims (2/3 killed in the holocaust were Jewish).

30 million were killed in Russia by communists. Mao killed tens of millions more than Hitler, yet, Hitler is classified as the most evil man in the world whilst Mao is ignored. Hitler isn't even the second biggest killer in human history.
30 million were killed in Russia by communists. Mao killed tens of millions more than Hitler, yet, Hitler is classified as the most evil man in the world whilst Mao is ignored. Hitler isn't even the second biggest killer in human history.

What makes the holocaust bad isn't so much the raw nubmers killed, but the whole idea of a industrialised extermination machine run by a developed country. The deaths in China were mostly indirect, due to famine. In Russia they were really just killing those who opposed them.

Does it have to be a competition to see which dictator was responsible for more deaths? Can't we just respect the fact that the Holocaust was an incontrovertibly tragic and sombre act of genocide which people have every right to mourn?

Naturally, I find this very disrespectful and saddening. But there will always be those who like to go against the grain and behave with the utmost disrespect.

It was the industrial method of the genocide from a developed, modernised country.
Original post by L i b
I'm not really sure I understand it. When I think back, there were Jewish people at my school. In the main, they popped along to chapel on the occasions we had to and sung along with the hymns - I suspect they took it as seriously as the ostensibly Christian majority, which is not very seriously at all.

Aside from that, there was little or nothing different about them. I can understand racism to some extent - children inevitably pick on difference and attack it - but there wasn't really any difference here at all. That's what I find so baffling about anti-Semitism: I've worked with people for sometimes very long periods as an adult without so much as guessing they're Jewish until it comes up in conversation or something.

It's rooted in Christianity of course. Peddled mostly by the Catholic church over the Jesus affair which they still haven't come to terms with. As you can see by our Catholic member posting in this thread ^^^

It's a subject you could do several Phd's about, such are the complex strands of anti-semitism.

The left wing for example find it very difficult to reconcile with the idea of a strong Jewish state. The left's vision of a Jew in their psyche is a weak, pacifist eternal victim. To go from that in WWII, to an alleged nuclear state that has successfully defended themselves with robustness, is too much for the left to handle. The fact that they have created such a modern state within 65 years in the middle of a still medieval region, also confuses them.

They have a romanticised vision of Arabia, the noble savages. They feel Israel is an anomaly. This leads the left to increasingly stray into anti-semitism. The middle class leftsists i.e. chattering classes tend to have a more general anti-semitism of looking down at Jews as being a bit dirty. Mired in money lending etc.

The far right are more into the traditional anti-semitism of Jews being behind all the world's ills, controlling everything, owning everything, wanting to kill off the white race etc.

Then there's the Catholics who just have a sneering resentment of Jews which they try and cover up, but is always bubbling beneath the surface. Ireland for example is the epitome of this.

Edit: Forgot Muslims - but Islam tends to hate everyone else.

It's a very interesting subject.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by LockheedSpooky
It's rooted in Christianity of course. Peddled mostly by the Catholic church over the Jesus affair which they still haven't come to terms with. As you can see by our Catholic member posting in this thread ^^^

It's a subject you could do several Phd's about, such are the complex strands of anti-semitism.

The left wing for example find it very difficult to reconcile with the idea of a strong Jewish state. The left's vision of a Jew in their psyche is a weak, pacifist eternal victim. To go from that in WWII, to an alleged nuclear state that has successfully defended themselves with robustness, is too much for the left to handle. The fact that they have created such a modern state within 65 years in the middle of a still medieval region, also confuses them.

They have a romanticised vision of Arabia, the noble savages. They feel Israel is an anomaly. This leads the left to increasingly stray into anti-semitism. The middle class leftsists i.e. chattering classes tend to have a more general anti-semitism of looking down at Jews as being a bit dirty. Mired in money lending etc.

The far right are more into the traditional anti-semitism of Jews being behind all the world's ills, controlling everything, owning everything, wanting to kill off the white racs etc.

Then there's the Catholics who just have a sneering resentment of Jews which they try and cover up, but is always bubbling beneath the surface. Ireland for example is the epitome of this.

It's a very interesting subject.

What he said.

I spend most of my time here reporting various oxygen thieves who have decided to start anti semetic threads.

I'm suspecting that Russia today and the Iranian media outlets, which re state owned are pushing anti semetism in order to weaken israeli position.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending