The Student Room Group

Holocaust memorial day posters defaced in East London

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LockheedSpooky

Edit: Forgot Muslims - but Islam tends to hate everyone else.

You obviously know little of history except the last 70 years judging by your post.
Muslims and Jews have historically had excellent relations throughout the Middle East. World War 2 and the Hollocaust are still seen as European and Western events by the world-- this is hard for Western people to understand but sadly it's true. Most of the world see it as a European war in the main.

The problems you see nowadays in regards to Muslims and Jews (anti semitism continues in Europe by the way, regardless of Muslim presence) is rooted in the Western sponsored Zionist invasion of Palestine. This is patently obvious and is a political issue primarily. This is conveniently ignored or forgotten by the media, instead, like you, they latch on the idea that Muslims inherently hate Jews and have done so "for thousands of years." This is simply islamaphobia. It wasn't Muslims who committed the Holocaust. Let's stick to FACTS.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by silent ninja
You obviously know little of history except the last 70 years judging by your post.
Muslims and Jews have historically had excellent relations throughout the Middle East. World War 2 and the Hollocaust are still seen as European and Western events by the world-- this is hard for Western people to understand but sadly it's true. Most of the world see it as a European war in the main.

The problems you see nowadays in regards to Muslims and Jews (anti semitism continues in Europe by the way, regardless of Muslim presence) is rooted in the Western sponsored Zionist invasion of Palestine. This is patently obvious and is a political issue primarily. This is conveniently ignored or forgotten by the media, instead, like you, they latch on the idea that Muslims inherently hate Jews and have done so "for thousands of years." This is simply islamaphobia. It wasn't Muslims who committed the Holocaust. Let's stick to FACTS.

I'd agree with all of that, but it hasn't helped that Iran has been quite vocal on the holcaust denial line recently.
Original post by MatureStudent36
I'd agree with all of that, but it hasn't helped that Iran has been quite vocal on the holcaust denial line recently.

Yes, that's distasteful to say the least - a world leader saying something like this is very serious. However, without justifying it, again I would say his sentiments are again related to the Israel-Palestine issue. This is the cause of so much strife in the Middle East, if not the world.
Original post by thesabbath
This is what tends to happen when you transform a homogeneous nation state into a microcosm of world "diversity".

Not that we need a "Holocaust" memorial day anyway, if you ask the average school child about WW2 they won't be able to name any other victims than "the Jews".

I don't think you know many "average school children" then.

Muslims and Jews have historically had excellent relations throughout the Middle East. .

This is a point that many Muslims try to make and which is wildly exaggerated.

Please tell me what Mohammed did to the Jewish people?

That's rhetorical. He beheaded them.
This is a point that many Muslims try to make and which is wildly exaggerated.

Please tell me what Mohammed did to the Jewish people?

That's rhetorical. He beheaded them.

That's nonsense. Jews lived in his province, they were his neighbours. Synagogues nor Churches were burnt down and continue to exist in the MIddle East today.
People, including Jews, were beheaded but that's after war. That's not unusual during that time anywhere in the world, including Europe. They didn't pat them on the head and accept an apology.
That's nonsense. Jews lived in his province, they were his neighbours. Synagogues nor Churches were burnt down and continue to exist in the MIddle East today.
People, including Jews, were beheaded but that's after war. That's not unusual during that time anywhere in the world, including Europe. They didn't pat them on the head and accept an apology.

What happened at Khyber?

Mohammed ethnically cleansed Jews from Medina.
What happened at Khyber?

Mohammed ethnically cleansed Jews from Medina.

Ethnically cleansed? They were expelled after breaking the treaty-- you know, the one that was agreed to. There are penalties when agreements are broken, just look at UN resolutions (barring Israel who have broken 65 but face no punishment incidentally).
On the topic of ethnic cleansing, Israel is an apartheid state. Look at Jewish accounts like Miko Peled
It's rooted in Christianity of course. Peddled mostly by the Catholic church over the Jesus affair which they still haven't come to terms with. As you can see by our Catholic member posting in this thread ^^^

It's a subject you could do several Phd's about, such are the complex strands of anti-semitism.

The left wing for example find it very difficult to reconcile with the idea of a strong Jewish state. The left's vision of a Jew in their psyche is a weak, pacifist eternal victim. To go from that in WWII, to an alleged nuclear state that has successfully defended themselves with robustness, is too much for the left to handle. The fact that they have created such a modern state within 65 years in the middle of a still medieval region, also confuses them.

They have a romanticised vision of Arabia, the noble savages. They feel Israel is an anomaly. This leads the left to increasingly stray into anti-semitism. The middle class leftsists i.e. chattering classes tend to have a more general anti-semitism of looking down at Jews as being a bit dirty. Mired in money lending etc.

The far right are more into the traditional anti-semitism of Jews being behind all the world's ills, controlling everything, owning everything, wanting to kill off the white race etc.

Then there's the Catholics who just have a sneering resentment of Jews which they try and cover up, but is always bubbling beneath the surface. Ireland for example is the epitome of this.

It's a very interesting subject.

Superb comment. In fact, one of the most perceptive I've ever seen on TSR.

Actually, his comment was most perceptive

Muslims and Jews have historically had excellent relations throughout the Middle East.

Really? I suppose that explains the Pogrom of Hebron in 1929, and in fact all the other pogroms against the Jews by Muslims in the last 1000 years

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Anti-Jewish_pogroms_by_Muslims

I suppose it also explains why the Jews were kept as second-class dhimmis, and why the Mufti of Jerusalem allied with Hitler.

Western sponsored Zionist invasion of Palestine

You mean the Jews returning to Israel, where they are originally from?

By the way, it wasn't supported by the West. The creation of Israel was expressly opposed by the British Empire, and no Western state provided arms to them in 1947-48. Only the Communist block did, and only later id the French provide weapons. It was only in the late 60s that the Americans started supporting Israel

But I suppose you wouldn't know that, having been raised on a steady diet of Jew hatred

It wasn't Muslims who committed the Holocaust.

Actually, many Muslims did participate in the Holocaust. Bosnian Muslims joined the SS, and the Grand Mufti of Jerusalem allied with Hitler
What he said.

I spend most of my time here reporting various oxygen thieves who have decided to start anti semetic threads.

I'm suspecting that Russia today and the Iranian media outlets, which re state owned are pushing anti semetism in order to weaken israeli position.

I trust you do the same for all the islamophobic threads posted on here too?
Yes, that's distasteful to say the least - a world leader saying something like this is very serious. However, without justifying it, again I would say his sentiments are again related to the Israel-Palestine issue. This is the cause of so much strife in the Middle East, if not the world.

It's no different to calling somebody you don't like a racist name hut to annoy them.
I think people need to realise that the Arab worlds only concern about the Palestinian issue is get rid of palestinian refugees.
Original post by JamesNeedHelp2
I trust you do the same for all the islamophobic threads posted on here too?

I normally criticise those people. The recent spate of 'Islam should be banned because of what's been happening in Paris' normally get responded to that the attacks were vo sites by a fringe minority using religion to further a political aim.
It's no different to calling somebody you don't like a racist name hut to annoy them.
I think people need to realise that the Arab worlds only concern about the Palestinian issue is get rid of palestinian refugees.

Good point. Did you know in Lebanon, Palestinians are outright banned by law from practicing professions like law and medicine? There is a list of 19 professions they are banned from practicing, and like many Arab states they are basically forced to live in refugee camps rather than settle elsewhere

Where is the outrage about that?
I'm Suprised the guardian covered this.

Sadly anti semitism seems to be on the rise again. A depressed economy usy brings it out to play, but iran have been quite good at pushing it whilst the left wing have embraced the plight of the Palestinians because Israel
Is an American ally.

Hang on a second. Explain to me how anti-semitism, the prejudice against semitic peoples of which Arabs and ethnic Jews are both sub-peoples of, is the same as expressing solidarity or at least sympathy for a nationality who have entire neighbourhoods wiped out?
It's rooted in Christianity of course. Peddled mostly by the Catholic church over the Jesus affair which they still haven't come to terms with. As you can see by our Catholic member posting in this thread ^^^

It's a subject you could do several Phd's about, such are the complex strands of anti-semitism.

The left wing for example find it very difficult to reconcile with the idea of a strong Jewish state. The left's vision of a Jew in their psyche is a weak, pacifist eternal victim. To go from that in WWII, to an alleged nuclear state that has successfully defended themselves with robustness, is too much for the left to handle. The fact that they have created such a modern state within 65 years in the middle of a still medieval region, also confuses them.

They have a romanticised vision of Arabia, the noble savages. They feel Israel is an anomaly. This leads the left to increasingly stray into anti-semitism. The middle class leftsists i.e. chattering classes tend to have a more general anti-semitism of looking down at Jews as being a bit dirty. Mired in money lending etc.

The far right are more into the traditional anti-semitism of Jews being behind all the world's ills, controlling everything, owning everything, wanting to kill off the white race etc.

Then there's the Catholics who just have a sneering resentment of Jews which they try and cover up, but is always bubbling beneath the surface. Ireland for example is the epitome of this.

It's a very interesting subject.

Brilliant post.

Most people focus on the antisemitism of the right, but many on the mainstream right to their credit are extremely scrupulous to ensure that given the history, antisemitism is purged from their political movements. Everybody can see the hardcore far-right Nazis for the imbeciles they are and they are easy to reject.

I don't want to say too much more, but the other sources which you identified in my experience are where most of it comes from.
Original post by castlemadeofsand
Hang on a second. Explain to me how anti-semitism, the prejudice against semitic peoples of which Arabs and ethnic Jews are both sub-peoples of, is the same as expressing solidarity or at least sympathy for a nationality who have entire neighbourhoods wiped out?

Denying the holocaust happened isn't solidarity. Denying the holcaust happened gives oxygen to some rather unsavoury extremists on the right wing. Continental right wing extremists make our right wing extremists look like the WI.
Original post by young_guns
Good point. Did you know in Lebanon, Palestinians are outright banned by law from practicing professions like law and medicine? There is a list of 19 professions they are banned from practicing, and like many Arab states they are basically forced to live in refugee camps rather than settle elsewhere

Where is the outrage about that?

Arab on arab injustice is allowed. It's like iraq or Afghanistan, certain members of society tend to ignore the vast majority of civilian casualty a were/are caused by locals killing other locals.

remember the mantra. We are always wrong.
(edited 9 years ago)
Arab on arab injustice in allowed. It's like iraq or Afganistan, certain members of society tend to ignore the vast majority of civilian casualty a were/are caused by locals killing other locals.

I completely agree. There was no act by the American occupying forces that even came close to the criminality of the bombing of the Golden Dome of Samarra. Or the murders by the Shi'ite death squads. Or Al Qaeda suicide bombings.

That's why I often feel that it is the Islamic sense of victimhood that drives a lot of the violence.

There is a saying in the Middle East, "Me against my brother. My brother and I against our cousin. My brother, my cousin and I against the foreigner".

If it's an alleged injustice by a non-Muslim against a Muslim, it gets them far more riled up than a Muslim on Muslim injustice.

It's like how riled up the Muslim world got over the abuses in Abu Ghraib by the Americans. They were undoubtedly undesirable and criminal, but in the scheme of things, they were nothing as against what Saddam Hussein had done to Muslims in Abu Ghraib (thousands of executions, ripping people's fingernails out, rapes, electro-shocks, water torture, etc). Where was the Muslim outrage over that?
I normally criticise those people. The recent spate of 'Islam should be banned because of what's been happening in Paris' normally get responded to that the attacks were vo sites by a fringe minority using religion to further a political aim.

Well said, probably the best thing i have ever read after having just woken up from a long saturday afternoon sleep.:biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending