The Student Room Group

Got 87% UMS AVERAGE AT AS, struggling with A2 EDEXCEL MATHS

I am getting E's in my c3 mock. I am doing past papers :frown: any advice?
Original post by games211

Don't worry everyone has their bad days. Start by figuring out where/what areas of C3 you are losing your marks in then work from there. Do simple questions from the textbook to begin with, then increase the diffucilty and add some past paper questions. Focus on your areas of weakness then progress from there. Remember resources like TSR, Teachers/Friends, ExamSolutions will help. Just keep working hard and you will be seeing those A's/A*'s. Hope I helped :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
I am in exactly the same position as you! :/ Yeah I'm doing what the person above me said and just working through specific areas I don't know first
Reply 3
Original post by H.Ibrahim
Don't worry everyone has their bad days. Start by figuring out where/what areas of C3 you are losing your marks in then work from there. Do simple questions from the textbook to begin with, then increase the diffucilty and add some past paper questions. Focus on your areas of weakness then progress from there. Remember resources like TSR, Teachers/Friends, ExamSolutions will help. Just keep working hard and you will be seeing those A's/A*'s. Hope I helped :smile:

Thanks
I just don't stick with one book. I panic and buy so many books and print off too many notes :frown:
Thanks
I just don't stick with one book. I panic and buy so many books and print off too many notes :frown:

Do you have CGP? I find CGP useful in terms of notes but I use AQA Cambridge textbook for questions and past papers. I think they might have an edexcel version as well.

You can also check out this book: http://www.amazon.co.uk/A2-Level-Maths-Edexcel-Core-Student/dp/1847628133 seems useful but don't waste your money buying loads of books. Teachers are one of the best resources to have, and they're free :wink:
Reply 5
Do you have CGP? I find CGP useful in terms of notes but I use AQA Cambridge textbook for questions and past papers. I think they might have an edexcel version as well.

You can also check out this book: http://www.amazon.co.uk/A2-Level-Maths-Edexcel-Core-Student/dp/1847628133 seems useful but don't waste your money buying loads of books. Teachers are one of the best resources to have, and they're free :wink:

I just want to give up on everything.. I just did a paper got a C :* And I haven't even started s2 revision nor have we completed c4 at school
I just want to give up on everything.. I just did a paper got a C :* And I haven't even started s2 revision nor have we completed c4 at school

Giving up is the easy way out, you are already this far into your education don't give up now! You've improved the E to a C, now go over that paper learn the methods of your errors and re-attempt a past paper, you'll be surprised at how much you have improved :smile: Don't worry to much about C4 at the moment focus on getting C3 up. A thumbs up on my first post would be nice :smile:
Reply 7
Giving up is the easy way out, you are already this far into your education don't give up now! You've improved the E to a C, now go over that paper learn the methods of your errors and re-attempt a past paper, you'll be surprised at how much you have improved :smile: Don't worry to much about C4 at the moment focus on getting C3 up. A thumbs up on my first post would be nice :smile:

Yh :smile: Yh sorry lol thanks for your help :smile:
Reply 8

keep practising the edexcel past papers and when you get comfortable with those, challenge yourself with Solomon Papers. don't worry, i averaged 91.333 UMS (274 total, divided by 3 exams :tongue:) at AS but struggled a bit at the start of year 13, but as time went on i improved, so that will probably happen for you too :smile:
A thumbs up on my first post would be nice :smile:
Doing it for the rep eh?

C3 is a huuuuge step up from AS maths imo so I wouldn't get too worried, you've not suddenly become stupid! Do you feel you actually understand the content? Because past papers are only useful if you actually broadly know what you're doing.

Giving up is the easy way out, you are already this far into your education don't give up now! You've improved the E to a C, now go over that paper learn the methods of your errors and re-attempt a past paper, you'll be surprised at how much you have improved
:smile: Don't worry to much about C4 at the moment focus on getting C3 up. A thumbs up on my first post would be nice :smile:

Don't beg for rep, seriously.
Original post by Chlorophile
C3 is a huuuuge step up from AS maths imo so I wouldn't get too worried, you've not suddenly become stupid! Do you feel you actually understand the content? Because past papers are only useful if you actually broadly know what you're doing.

Are you currently an A2 student or University? Also I don't beg, first time I ever asked actually :borat:
Are you currently an A2 student or University? Also I don't beg, first time I ever asked actually :borat:

A2. It was begging, don't do it again :unimpressed:
Reply 13

thanks
Reply 14

http://www.examsolutions.net/maths-revision/syllabuses/Edexcel/period-1/C3/module.php
Do you use examsolutions? That is really helpful.
If it helps I thought c4 was way easier than c3. If you find the trig hardest, the best way is to keep practising loads of questions from the edexcel book, and if you're stuck use the cd that comes with it as it has all the worked solutions. And it comes to a point with trig that once you've done so much practice the new questions start to too seem easy/familar because there's only so much you can do with a few identities. And I got a U in my c3 mock a few months before the exam and ended up with a strong A, so don't worry too much about getting E's now.
Reply 17
A2. It was begging, don't do it again :unimpressed:

Please rep me chloro :tongue:

OP: I found C3 the hardest module out of all the ones in single maths, much harder than C4 even. It takes time, but with enough revision and practice you'll definitely get better. It takes a long time to adjust to the sudden jump in maths thinking that you need from AS->A2 but once you get there you'll be OK, just keep working.

Quick Reply

Latest