The Student Room Group

National 4/5 Opinions?

Hi, I've been asked by my school to prepare a short 2-3 minute speech to present to the parents of 3rd year pupils who are about to undertake course choices.

I've been asked to focus on the positives of the new national courses (typical eh?) and how my "positive" experience has helped me in highers and how they don't have anything to worry about with their kids.

Long story short, what did you guys think the new Nationals did well??
Reply 1
Well, they made the jump to highers slightly easier. For instance, N5 maths goes over the discriminant, vectors and so forth. Though I can't say much else, as I'm doing the old highers, so no projects are marked externally etc...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah I agree with the fact that they have made the jump to higher easier but I'm doing old highers this year and a lot of the stuff is roughly the same with some new bits added which is pretty simple. The new higher biology for example looks pretty difficult to the old one.
Yeah I've wrote about that, but I can't be really think of much else.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zain-A
Hi, I've been asked by my school to prepare a short 2-3 minute speech to present to the parents of 3rd year pupils who are about to undertake course choices.

I've been asked to focus on the positives of the new national courses (typical eh?) and how my "positive" experience has helped me in highers and how they don't have anything to worry about with their kids.

Long story short, what did you guys think the new Nationals did well??

Hi, I think it would be good to mention how the broad general education is a good thing. I think it's good how there is less of a jump between nat 5 and higher. I would talk about how the idea that each course now includes an assignment sort of thing which means that people have the opportunity to go do their exams with the potential of having 20-50% of their marks in the bag depending on the subject. I actually did two such talks last year to the S3 pupils as well as to the parents. I made these Prezis to kinda add a little bit more oomph to it. You can have a look at them. I couldn't find the speech I wrote to go with it cos it was on my old laptop that broke. Good Luck!

http://prezi.com/xrr3mlqrghd1/utm_campaign=share&utm_medium=copy&rc=ex0share

http://prezi.com/lej2aowmymvx/utm_campaign=share&utm_medium=copy&rc=ex0share

Hope it help a tiny bit! :wink:
Thanks for the detailed reply, I made the speech a few days ago and it went well. I made the same points as you about the assignments
Original post by Zain-A
Thanks for the detailed reply, I made the speech a few days ago and it went well. I made the same points as you about the assignments

Haha sorry! Glad it went well though! ;p

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending