The Student Room Group

OCR AS level Biology practical: Qualitative---HELP!?

On Tuesday I have my Qualitative practical for OCR AS level biology. Im SO worried because our teacher literally went over all the experiments we would do in onelesson and said all the practicals would be over within a just a week- she says they're easy but I dont think they will be easy :/ I did IGCSE last year which involved no practicals it was just exam based, so I have no experience of it. I really think im going to get it all wrong and fail :frown:

Can someone please tell me how it all works, more specifically qualitative?

Tanx, really appreciate all the help :smile:

Scroll to see replies

You are given a load of equipment and an exam-style paper. The paper will include a method telling you what to do which you have to follow exactly.
You follow the method and then at some point it will tell you to record the results which will be qualitative(colours etc.). It will give you a table to record them in. You need to include units.
Then there are questions hat you have to answer based on what you know from the spec.

Here's an example to let you know what it's like.

http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/75083-unit-f213-practical-skills-in-biology-1-qualitative-task-specimen.pdf
Reply 2
Original post by morgan8002
You are given a load of equipment and an exam-style paper. The paper will include a method telling you what to do which you have to follow exactly.
You follow the method and then at some point it will tell you to record the results which will be qualitative(colours etc.). It will give you a table to record them in. You need to include units.
Then there are questions hat you have to answer based on what you know from the spec.

Here's an example to let you know what it's like.

http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/75083-unit-f213-practical-skills-in-biology-1-qualitative-task-specimen.pdf

So how is it all judged? Does the teacher literally walk around the class whilst we're are doing the experiment, occasionally looking at what individuals are doing? Also I dont know if this makes sense but Ive heard we can retake if we dont do well. But is the qualitative, quantitative and evaluative all "retakes" or do they all add up and we can retake each of them? I dont know if that makes sense sorry
Yes they are all accumulatively added up, so you can retake individual pieces which are weak. There's only one mark for the actual carrying out of the experiment, so I would not worry too much on the actual experiment process but the theory that surrounds the experiment which make up the majority of the marks.
We have to leave anomalous results out of means, correct?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mutleybm1996
We have to leave anomalous results out of means, correct?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No this is qualitative, so shouldn't have any calculations.
Original post by Tj789
So how is it all judged? Does the teacher literally walk around the class whilst we're are doing the experiment, occasionally looking at what individuals are doing? Also I dont know if this makes sense but Ive heard we can retake if we dont do well. But is the qualitative, quantitative and evaluative all "retakes" or do they all add up and we can retake each of them? I dont know if that makes sense sorry

Yes, they walk around and check what you are doing. The majority of the marks come from the questions, which they mark afterwards. 1 mark comes from lab safety, which you automatically lose if you forget your lab coat for example.

The best mark for qualitative, quantitative and evaluative are each taken, so you end up with three final grades, which are added together.
No this is qualitative, so shouldn't have any calculations.

quants I mean

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes, they walk around and check what you are doing. The majority of the marks come from the questions, which they mark afterwards. 1 mark comes from lab safety, which you automatically lose if you forget your lab coat for example.

The best mark for qualitative, quantitative and evaluative are each taken, so you end up with three final grades, which are added together.

You have to bring your own lab coats? O.o

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes to your earlier question then. If they are anomalous, they shouldn't be allowed to have an effect on your conclusions.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's probably different if you go to a school where you don't have your own lab coats, but just stick to the safety policy and you should be ok.

How does students not having their own lab coats work? Do they have shared ones they give out or something? You do chemistry too don't you?
Yes to your earlier question then. If they are anomalous, they shouldn't be allowed to have an effect on your conclusions.

It's probably different if you go to a school where you don't have your own lab coats, but just stick to the safety policy and you should be ok.

How does students not having their own lab coats work? Do they have shared ones they give out or something? You do chemistry too don't you?

We don't tend to use lab coats, we've only ever used them once in chemistry for the sake of it.

Does anyone have any tips for the proteins/enzymes quant/qual/eval?
I have those on Monday...eek...so scared!
We don't tend to use lab coats, we've only ever used them once in chemistry for the sake of it.

Does anyone have any tips for the proteins/enzymes quant/qual/eval?
I have those on Monday...eek...so scared!

At my college every student taking forensic science, biology or chemistry has their own lab coat and it is used in every practical.

Make sure that you know everything in the textbook on proteins by heart. The quantitative is probably measuring the rate of a reaction with an enzyme varying pH or temperature.
You have three biology in one day? I've had one for each science in one day before.

Edit: Surely you can't handle benzene, conc acids, bromine etc. without a lab coat.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 12

Posted from TSR Mobile

My school said nothing about lab coats, I dont even have one. So I woudlnt worry if they didnt say anything :smile:
Reply 13
At my college every student taking forensic science, biology or chemistry has their own lab coat and it is used in every practical.

Make sure that you know everything in the textbook on proteins by heart. The quantitative is probably measuring the rate of a reaction with an enzyme varying pH or temperature.
You have three biology in one day? I've had one for each science in one day before.

Edit: Surely you can't handle benzene, conc acids, bromine etc. without a lab coat.

Hey, I was wondering if you did the same experiment- My qualitative one is about plasma proteins and we're investigating how (I think fast I dont know) they make a precipitate in different substances like HCL and ethanol. I know one of the questions is "why is the HCL not put under the highest conc" and "why is using ethanol and advantage."- What do you think?

Oh and my quantitative one is a beetroot experiment, which ive done before but am quite vague on.
Original post by Tj789
Hey, I was wondering if you did the same experiment- My qualitative one is about plasma proteins and we're investigating how (I think fast I dont know) they make a precipitate in different substances like HCL and ethanol. I know one of the questions is "why is the HCL not put under the highest conc" and "why is using ethanol and advantage."- What do you think?

Oh and my quantitative one is a beetroot experiment, which ive done before but am quite vague on.

No we didn't do that one. We did one on rate of catalase and one on coagulation of proteins.
Hey did have you done all 3 practicals?.. All we have been told is that our qualitative is next week, and that it is something to do with proteins and to revise there structure!! I'm guessing its the same practical you guys have mentioned on plasma membranes and the precipitation in various solutions.. Could you please please please help and give me any tips as to what to revise and expect for these practicals qual, quan, and evaluative.
Original post by Tj789

Hey did have you done all 3 practicals?.. All we have been told is that our qualitative is next week, and that it is something to do with proteins and to revise there structure!! I'm guessing its the same practical you guys have mentioned on plasma membranes and the precipitation in various solutions.. Could you please please please help and give me any tips as to what to revise and expect for these practicals qual, quan, and evaluative.
Original post by Connie13

The practical mentioned is on plasma proteins not plasma membranes.

Make sure you revise anything on proteins. Membranes too if you think that will be on it.
Hey Hun!!! Thank you ever soooooo much for this!! Been stressing about this as didn't know what to expect at all!!.. This has been a huge help.. I'm guessing it is this practical as I haven't come across any other qual practical that concerns proteins except for the enzyme one concerning renin and coagulation which we are definitely not doing!.. I would really really appreciate it if you could help me with the other 2 quan and evaluative if possible.. Thank you soooo much for this!!.. Hoping this is the one, even if its not its still given me an idea of what to expect and how to structure responses.. Can't thank you enough!!!! :smile:
The practical mentioned is on plasma proteins not plasma membranes.

Make sure you revise anything on proteins. Membranes too if you think that will be on it.

Yes we were told to look at proteins, this practical is the closest thing that fits the bill

Latest