The Student Room Group

Which exam board is the easiest for A Level Biology?

Any pros and cons of different exam boards, or just which is the easiest in your experience, would be highly appreciated.

Thank you very much in advance for any help
Don't know about other exam boards but I found CIE Biology to be quite easy.

Pros:
-You can memorize a bunch of mark schemes answers (and use them as notes) and get an A* as the same questions come up from year to year.
-You can sit AS exams and retake them in November if you aren't pleased with your May results.
-The use of the textbook the exam board authored is sufficient to aid your learning

Cons:
-You have to do a whole practical paper which includes do a wet prac (food test/something with enzymes) and a dry prac which requires the use of a microscope
-Specification is quite narrow. Topics like reproduction and environment + ecology are not taught.
Reply 2
Original post by Tulipbloom

Pros:
-You can memorize a bunch of mark schemes answers (and use them as notes) and get an A* as the same questions come up from year to year.
-You can sit AS exams and retake them in November if you aren't pleased with your May results.
-The use of the textbook the exam board authored is sufficient to aid your learning

Cons:
-You have to do a whole practical paper which includes do a wet prac (food test/something with enzymes) and a dry prac which requires the use of a microscope
-Specification is quite narrow. Topics like reproduction and environment + ecology are not taught.

They can't be sat in UK state schools as far as I am aware
take my sincere advice and never do edexcel a. I'm retaking bio but keeping the same board as I've done it for two years. I think OCR is meant to be easy? I'm not sure though
Original post by Muttley79

Sigh sorry forgot to mention this, just for international peeps :/
Original post by pigeonwarrior
take my sincere advice and never do edexcel a. I'm retaking bio but keeping the same board as I've done it for two years. I think OCR is meant to be easy? I'm not sure though

What is your problem with Edexcel A? I'm doing at the moment and I am enjoying the course, I like the fact that the biology is applied to real life.
Original post by flowersinmyhair
What is your problem with Edexcel A? I'm doing at the moment and I am enjoying the course, I like the fact that the biology is applied to real life.

Personally I think it's harder than the other exam boards, even my teacher said it's the hardest board for bio
Reply 7
Personally I think it's harder than the other exam boards, even my teacher said it's the hardest board for bio

Your teacher is wrong - all boards have the same standard - JCQ checks this every year.
There is no easy option for A level Biology
OCR seems to be very popular with UK schools. I was once helping with a sixth form open day for Biology and my teacher explained to me that my school uses the OCR exam board because apparently other exam boards use essays on the exams - OCR merely uses a couple of longform questions which are a bit easier on the student, since essays are arguably the bane of science students!
Reply 10
Original post by Tulipbloom

Pros:

Cons:

Original post by flowersinmyhair

Your teacher is wrong - all boards have the same standard - JCQ checks this every year.

Original post by totallyfine
There is no easy option for A level Biology

Original post by Scotland Yard
OCR seems to be very popular with UK schools. I was once helping with a sixth form open day for Biology and my teacher explained to me that my school uses the OCR exam board because apparently other exam boards use essays on the exams - OCR merely uses a couple of longform questions which are a bit easier on the student, since essays are arguably the bane of science students!

Thanks all for the very useful responses.
I am actually an international student, so I could do CIE. So thanks for the Pros and Cons of it.

Have a great rest of your week :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest