The Student Room Group

UNIQ Summer School 2015

Scroll to see replies

With 6A*s 5As, is it worth trying for the medicine one??
Original post by rowena97x

I'm applying to the medicine one too, and I'd definitely say it's worth trying out for it! If you never try you'll never know :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by emem2011
I'm applying to the medicine one too, and I'd definitely say it's worth trying out for it! If you never try you'll never know :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think I will. What are you putting in your PS, if you don't mind me asking?
Original post by Chlorophile
Would anyone be interested in seeing the personal statement I wrote for UNIQ last year? I'm not sure how helpful it'd be but I'd be happy to send it to anyone who's interested. It's actually quite embarrassing looking back at it!

I'd really appreciate being sent it, thanks :smile:
I think I will. What are you putting in your PS, if you don't mind me asking?

Ah gosh I'm really struggling with that- my first draft was 6000 characters!! I've just written about why I want to go, my academic achievements and what I'd learn from it. My personal statement is pretty rubbish I reckon, but I'm hoping my GCSE grades will allow me to be considered!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ah gosh I'm really struggling with that- my first draft was 6000 characters!! I've just written about why I want to go, my academic achievements and what I'd learn from it. My personal statement is pretty rubbish I reckon, but I'm hoping my GCSE grades will allow me to be considered!

Posted from TSR Mobile

What are your GCSEs?
What are your GCSEs?

I got 14A*s, so fingers crossed that outweighs my horrendous personal statement :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got 14A*s, so fingers crossed that outweighs my horrendous personal statement :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh wow, they're crazy results! Well done. :smile:
Oh wow, they're crazy results! Well done. :smile:

Thank you so much :smile: it was a nice surprise on results day! Now just ploughing through AS levels haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

You will have more luck with our Oncology course. Whilst not getting into particulars for every subject we see about 900 applications for Medicine alone (for 40 places) and strongly recommend students to look carefully at the other subjects available.
(edited 9 years ago)
I got 2A*, 6As and 2Bs do I stand a chance applying to experimental psychology?
Original post by uniqsummer
You will have more luck with our Oncology course. Whilst not getting into particulars for every subject we see about 900 applications for Medicine alone (for 40 places) and strong recommend students to look carefully at the other subjects available.

Would 5A*s 4As and a B be alright for physics?
How many applicants do you usually get for it? :tongue:
Can you PM me it please, thanks so much xx
Reply 73

Medicine is the most subscribed course, I would definitely consider applying for Oncology instead. Those are excellent GCSEs don't get me wrong and you would be just as likely to gain a place when applying to Uni as anyone else but UNIQ is a different application system. I met lots of people with straight A*s who were reallocated to Oncology, which was an amazing course and they have since found that interviewers at other Unis have found the fact they did such a course really interesting. I didn't apply for Medicine but Oncology was amazing for me as I now have an offer for Biochemistry. :smile: Good Luck!
(edited 9 years ago)
How academic is the personal statement supposed to be? I'm applying for Physics and I've written about some quite advanced stuff. Should I be worried about it being too intense?
Original post by jenuinemisspelt
Just posting again if anyone who is looking to apply for Classics, if they want to read my personal statement (although it's a little more geared to the English course) or ask about what we did, just drop me a message!
Also, speaking as someone who never had a chance to study Classics before or learn Greek/Latin to GCSE and I still got a place on UNIQ, I'd say no matter what your subject is, if your grades are good for your school to just go for it. The worst that can happen is you won't go, which is what would happen if you didn't apply anyway. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Would you be able to send me your personal statement? I am applying for biomedical sciences which is completely different but it would be really interesting to see yours, as I haven't been given much support from my school! I would really appreciate it.
Would anyone be interested in seeing the personal statement I wrote for UNIQ last year? I'm not sure how helpful it'd be but I'd be happy to send it to anyone who's interested. It's actually quite embarrassing looking back at it!

I am sure it is better Han what I have got so far! Would I be able to see it? I would really appreciate it! I don't really know how student room works either, so bear with me!
Original post by Powerflowergirl
I am sure it is better Han what I have got so far! Would I be able to see it? I would really appreciate it! I don't really know how student room works either, so bear with me!

I sent it to you via PM :smile:
Original post by TomCastles
How academic is the personal statement supposed to be? I'm applying for Physics and I've written about some quite advanced stuff. Should I be worried about it being too intense?

I'm not sure what you mean by "too intense" but yes, it's supposed to be as academic as possible. Obviously though, don't stretch the truth - that is not going to do you any favours.
I'm not sure what you mean by "too intense" but yes, it's supposed to be as academic as possible. Obviously though, don't stretch the truth - that is not going to do you any favours.

It's just I've heard they're read by admissions officers and not academics. Wouldn't it be off putting if they didn't know what I was talking about?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending