The Student Room Group

Should I apply to Oxford?

I was always interested in applying to Oxford for History & Economics, but I am not sure about my grades, predicted to achieve A*AA-A*A*A. Received AABB for AS (Econ, Maths, History & Sociology) but I was one mark away from an A in History, so hoping I can get that remarked and I have dropped sociology. Achieved 99888877776 in GCSE. Went to the Oxford summer school (uniq) & KCL summer school.

I was just wondering if I just put the effort into applying to Oxford because I am interested but if I would automatically be rejected I would have liked to rethink my university choices. So, would I have a chance at getting into Oxford?
Original post by temzzzzz
I was always interested in applying to Oxford for History & Economics, but I am not sure about my grades, predicted to achieve A*AA-A*A*A. Received AABB for AS (Econ, Maths, History & Sociology) but I was one mark away from an A in History, so hoping I can get that remarked and I have dropped sociology. Achieved 99888877776 in GCSE. Went to the Oxford summer school (uniq) & KCL summer school.

I was just wondering if I just put the effort into applying to Oxford because I am interested but if I would automatically be rejected I would have liked to rethink my university choices. So, would I have a chance at getting into Oxford?

If you meet the entry requirements listed on the course page, go for it. There are a lot of other factors used to assess your application other than A level/GCSE grades. For History and Economics you have to sit entrance tests, submit written work, and go for multiple interviews. They will also calculate a contextualised GCSE score for you, by working out how many 8/9s you got compared to the average for your cohort at the same school. The HAT is usually contextualised in a similar way.

With all of these metrics, it's possible to score well even if you dont get A*s in everything, particularly if you're a disadvantaged applicant. Even if you get rejected, it's only one application out of five on UCAS.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending