The Student Room Group

scared to apply for stuff

I am a year 12 student and I feel like I should be applying for things like work experience to strengthen my uni application but I can never bring myself to actually apply

My grades are very good but I am always too scared to apply for any work experience - I always spend hours researching things that I should apply to but I never apply

The same goes for jobs - I always find a good part time job online but I never actually apply

How do I fix this? I want to study Economics at a good uni (Cambridge, LSE, Warwick etc.) and I know that work experience is not essential for this like it is for medicine, but I feel like I should do something.

Thanks
Original post by fox473
I am a year 12 student and I feel like I should be applying for things like work experience to strengthen my uni application but I can never bring myself to actually apply

My grades are very good but I am always too scared to apply for any work experience - I always spend hours researching things that I should apply to but I never apply

The same goes for jobs - I always find a good part time job online but I never actually apply

How do I fix this? I want to study Economics at a good uni (Cambridge, LSE, Warwick etc.) and I know that work experience is not essential for this like it is for medicine, but I feel like I should do something.

Thanks

Hiya @fox473 I'm a Year 13 who has applied for linguistics, but I didn't even know it was something I wanted to do before the end/summer of Year 12, so do not stress. This also meant I didn't have a lot of work experience to put down either, because I was unsure of what to study. Have you tried applying for summer schools? :smile: There's a very good one called UNIQ run by Oxford and their applications close 23rd jan!

here's the course for economics: Economics and Management - UNIQ (ox.ac.uk)
but check if you meet the criteria: Who goes on UNIQ? - UNIQ (ox.ac.uk)

There's also Sutton Trust, so keep your eyes out for that one!

There is also the option of Springpod, which is an online work experience platform for school students. See if you can find something: Virtual Work Experience Search (springpod.com) but if nothing comes up, make sure to create an account and add your subject preferences so they can email you related stuff.

You can also read books and attend online taster lectures too!

Hope this helps,
Emmanuella :smile:
Original post by fox473

Thanks

I think you need to bite the bullet and apply for work experience - the worst that will happen is that you will be rejected, but if you don't apply you definitely won't get work experience.
Reply 3
Original post by flowersinmyhair
I think you need to bite the bullet and apply for work experience - the worst that will happen is that you will be rejected, but if you don't apply you definitely won't get work experience.

I don't think it is that I am scared of rejection, but more that I am scared of actually doing any work experience

also i have never filled in a job/ work experience application so I don't have a CV or anything and I don't know where to start with writing one
Reply 4
Original post by emm4nuella
Hiya @fox473 I'm a Year 13 who has applied for linguistics, but I didn't even know it was something I wanted to do before the end/summer of Year 12, so do not stress. This also meant I didn't have a lot of work experience to put down either, because I was unsure of what to study. Have you tried applying for summer schools? :smile: There's a very good one called UNIQ run by Oxford and their applications close 23rd jan!

There is also the option of Springpod, which is an online work experience platform for school students. See if you can find something: Virtual Work Experience Search (springpod.com) but if nothing comes up, make sure to create an account and add your subject preferences so they can email you related stuff.

Hope this helps,

thank you, that is very helpful

there are a lot of university outreach programmes that sound really good but I don't meet any of the eligibility criteria
Original post by fox473
I don't think it is that I am scared of rejection, but more that I am scared of actually doing any work experience

also i have never filled in a job/ work experience application so I don't have a CV or anything and I don't know where to start with writing one

Does your sixth form/college have access to Unifrog because I wrote mine with Unifrog and it provides a really good template. If not I would have look at CV templates and see what you should include (the easiest bit will likely be the qualifications you have so maybe start there).
Reply 6
Original post by flowersinmyhair
Does your sixth form/college have access to Unifrog because I wrote mine with Unifrog and it provides a really good template. If not I would have look at CV templates and see what you should include (the easiest bit will likely be the qualifications you have so maybe start there).

I think my school does have Unifrog but I haven't used it in ages so I will definitely take a look at that

Thank you so much!
Reply 7
Original post by emm4nuella

Hope this helps,

I have just had a look at Springpod and it looks really good so thank you !!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending