The Student Room Group

University 2015 Entry Maths Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by alanadams
Oh right aha. Good luck anyways.

Thanks! I'm gonna need it! 😄
Reply 241
It doesn't matter they still give you an additional offer with step
I wondered if any of you have any revision techniques ? ;i find myself just reading the book more and more which doesn't seem to be too efficient. I had a c1 mock today and after getting A's about 90 percent before christmas I did an exam today and forgot a fair bit and went blank in the exam, to be fair I didn't really revise as I was being cocky and I think I got a B/C.(It was a 2014 paper as well) So do any of you keep notes, just do papers before exams or do every question in the text book(I'm on edexcel). Advice appreciated :biggrin:
Original post by Billylstone
I wondered if any of you have any revision techniques ? ;i find myself just reading the book more and more which doesn't seem to be too efficient. I had a c1 mock today and after getting A's about 90 percent before christmas I did an exam today and forgot a fair bit and went blank in the exam, to be fair I didn't really revise as I was being cocky and I think I got a B/C.(It was a 2014 paper as well) So do any of you keep notes, just do papers before exams or do every question in the text book(I'm on edexcel). Advice appreciated :biggrin:

Although it is a bit of an investment in terms of your time, I think it's worth it in the end. I always do every past paper I can get my hand on twice. I'm on aqa, and there's 16, so I do 32 past papers minimum for each exam.
Original post by alanadams
Although it is a bit of an investment in terms of your time, I think it's worth it in the end. I always do every past paper I can get my hand on twice. I'm on aqa, and there's 16, so I do 32 past papers minimum for each exam.
thanks, I just wondered how people do it as I usually think I know it and get cocky, I usually get given past papers but I shall do that as well when I get home from school. :biggrin: when I'm not doing illogical economics haha
Original post by Billylstone
thanks, I just wondered how people do it as I usually think I know it and get cocky, I usually get given past papers but I shall do that as well when I get home from school. :biggrin: when I'm not doing illogical economics haha

It's definitely worth doing them in my opinion. I think it gets you used to the way in which the questions are worded as they are often very different to text book questions. Sometimes questions get recycled so you may end up doing a question you've already answered.
I've been doing work on STEP for Warwick, and I plan on entering for STEP I and II, but I can alternatively get a distinction in AEA which appears distinctly easier... Should I do all three?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TLHroolz
I've been doing work on STEP for Warwick, and I plan on entering for STEP I and II, but I can alternatively get a distinction in AEA which appears distinctly easier... Should I do all three?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Might aswell as aea is right at the end and is just c1-4 stuff. yh aea is much easier. Just a hard c3 c4 paper really.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths
Might aswell as aea is right at the end and is just c1-4 stuff. yh aea is much easier. Just a hard c3 c4 paper really.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thought so. I'm really not sure about STEP, and whether I'll make the grade :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TLHroolz
Thought so. I'm really not sure about STEP, and whether I'll make the grade :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Work hard and you will get it! You can do it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths
Work hard and you will get it! You can do it!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks man, AEA just looks soooo much easier. It sounds weird, but I hate the questions in STEP that have no A level knowledge requirement, I feel as though I'm kind of guessing my way through it :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by rayquaza17
You aren't expected to read all of the book for the module it's recommended for; you are only supposed to read the sections relating to that module. I have textbooks that are 600 pages long and I only understand around 30 pages after completing first year mathematics.

Anyway, if anyone is interested in studying at Newcastle, feel free to ask me questions. (But hardly anyone on TSR studies maths at Newcastle :frown:)

I'm applying for Maths and MMath at Newcastle this year and I live there, got offers for both (doing the safe thing and applying with Partners). What's it like compared to A-Level and in general? At the moment we just have C4 left to study and most of A2 Maths seems easy so far, same can't be said for Bio and Physics because I got a B and D in those at AS..
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Connahnieurzyla
I'm applying for Maths and MMath at Newcastle this year and I live there, got offers for both (doing the safe thing and applying with Partners). What's it like compared to A-Level and in general? At the moment we just have C4 left to study and most of A2 Maths seems easy so far, same can't be said for Bio and Physics because I got a B and D in those at AS..

I did the partners scheme as well. :smile:

I found first year to be a nice follow on from A2 maths. You go over some things in more detail and get introduced to some new topics as well, and it is quite manageable. If you find A2 easy, then I'm sure you'll cope with first year!

In general it's pretty good, there are some modules I love and others less so, but overall I'm 100% happy with my decision to study here.
Original post by rayquaza17
I did the partners scheme as well. :smile:

I found first year to be a nice follow on from A2 maths. You go over some things in more detail and get introduced to some new topics as well, and it is quite manageable. If you find A2 easy, then I'm sure you'll cope with first year!

In general it's pretty good, there are some modules I love and others less so, but overall I'm 100% happy with my decision to study here.

Thanks for the reply, sounds like it's great :smile:
Hi, I'm a student from Germany and I'm thinking of applying this year for maths at either Oxford or Cambridge. I've got a few questions concerning my application:
1. Both universities require a minimum of A*A*A at a-level, but does anyone know the equivalent to the Abitur?
2. Would an overall score of 1.3 (with 13,14,14,14 points in maths) be enough as academic requirement?
3. And where is it harder to get in? Oxford or Cambridge? Which test do you consider easier? MAT or STEP?
4. Would any after school activities or a successful participation in a math contest (such as math olypiads etc.) increase my chance of getting in?
Original post by LauraSchulz
Hi, I'm a student from Germany and I'm thinking of applying this year for maths at either Oxford or Cambridge. I've got a few questions concerning my application:
1. Both universities require a minimum of A*A*A at a-level, but does anyone know the equivalent to the Abitur?
2. Would an overall score of 1.3 (with 13,14,14,14 points in maths) be enough as academic requirement?
3. And where is it harder to get in? Oxford or Cambridge? Which test do you consider easier? MAT or STEP?
4. Would any after school activities or a successful participation in a math contest (such as math olypiads etc.) increase my chance of getting in?

I can't answer 1/2 but I can answer 3/4!

3) from experience, I think that STEP is a lot harder, and hence I feel that Cambridge is harder to get into! Most courses are A*A*A but I know someone who got an offer from Oxford and he only needs AAA...

4) It may help, but I've got an offer to study maths for next year and I hadn't done any extra maths competitions! I think they just saw how hard I had worked coming from a 'normal' school up to a grammar for 6th form and what I've achieved! But who knows, because my interviews were terrible lol
Reply 256
Original post by LauraSchulz

You'll find international qualifications entry requirements for Oxford given at

http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/international-students/international-qualifications

and for the Abitur it says

"Abitur with a total mark between 1.0 and 1.5 with scores of between 13 and 15 in individual subjects."

That said, gaining an offer is harder than making the offer. The MAT and interviews are considered more competitive.

STEP is a tougher exam than MAT, but being taken 7 months later is not surprising; it's also the final stage of the Cambridge process rather than the first hurdle of the Oxford process, so the two tests are used rather differently.
Original post by Chazatthekeys
I can't answer 1/2 but I can answer 3/4!

3) from experience, I think that STEP is a lot harder, and hence I feel that Cambridge is harder to get into! Most courses are A*A*A but I know someone who got an offer from Oxford and he only needs AAA...

4) It may help, but I've got an offer to study maths for next year and I hadn't done any extra maths competitions! I think they just saw how hard I had worked coming from a 'normal' school up to a grammar for 6th form and what I've achieved! But who knows, because my interviews were terrible lol

I think my olympiad stuff saved me, anything extra is good, no olympiads isnt bad either.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks a lot for your reply! :smile: Do you think that a bad GSCE would ruin my application? Half of my grades at grade 10 were only C, the rest was B and one A at physics only.
Anyone know why I have an offer for computer science instead of maths (which I applied for) at Durham? Is it a mistake or is it and alternative hahah

Quick Reply

Latest