The Student Room Group

Dentistry A levels

Do universities have bias towards applicants who take bio, chem and maths for dentistry? If two students had the same interview score, UCAT score and A level grades but one of the applicants took Bio, Chem, Art and the other took Bio, Chem, Maths, would they choose the student who took Bio, Chem, Maths?
Reply 1
Original post by pieloverfr
Do universities have bias towards applicants who take bio, chem and maths for dentistry? If two students had the same interview score, UCAT score and A level grades but one of the applicants took Bio, Chem, Art and the other took Bio, Chem, Maths, would they choose the student who took Bio, Chem, Maths?

I can’t guarantee this for sure but a lot of dental applicants take bio chem maths, including my friend who is dedicated to get to dental school. I’d personally think that maths may make you more competitive (just because of how oversubscribed dentistry is). And it may help in ucat prep since you’ll be using maths more often - although it’s not needed. I can see how art could be considered useful for manual dexterity though.
Reply 2
Original post by study23!
I can’t guarantee this for sure but a lot of dental applicants take bio chem maths, including my friend who is dedicated to get to dental school. I’d personally think that maths may make you more competitive (just because of how oversubscribed dentistry is). And it may help in ucat prep since you’ll be using maths more often - although it’s not needed. I can see how art could be considered useful for manual dexterity though.

Okay, thank you!!
Reply 3
List of 2024 entry requirements for each UK Dentistry course - DSC-Entry-Requirements-entry-2024.pdf (dentalschoolscouncil.ac.uk)
Original post by pieloverfr

Again cant confirm fully, but generally bio and chem seem to be unis requirements. That being said, as a med applicant I haven’t done biology which hasn’t been an issue for me, so as long as you meet the subject requirements then you should be alright.

Quick Reply

Latest