The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

English Literature at KCL?

(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by IHTWFR
Hi,

I don't want to pay for a second-rate university as KCL is 20 ish for English on the league tables but worldwide it is 16 overall. I have already decided I want to do a conversion course to Law, but I'm stuck between my other two choices - Nottingham and York. I really want a campus-based university, but I live in London and I love the atmosphere of Central.. Idk

I wouldn't pay much attention to the league tables. The criteria that drags KCL down is student satisfaction and that is calculated by surveying stidents; many of whom could be disgruntled for reasons not affected by the course. Maybe. Also the graduate employment is pretty good and not really the different to many other good universities. Also league tables are just compiled by the papers to sell more papers. Not saying Kings is the best course in the country, but an arbitrary ranking system is stupid for something as complex as a university course. What is the difference between number 4 and number 5; is it the same as the difference between number 6 and 7? How is learning and student enrichment accurately measured? It is pretty flimsy.

Go to the place that suits your needs and interests. Your own ability, personality and experience will dictate your future, not a commercial entity's unscientific ranking publication or notions of prestige. Certain firms may be snobby but not between York, Nottingham and KCL, he'll, not even for UCL; those snobby firms usually get excited for Oxbridge mainly. However, those elite chambers are hardly progressive or an interesting place to work.
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

Quick Reply

Latest